• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

History Repeating Itself

• Members

Some history needs to be repeated, here's one...

Noah Webster (October 16, 1758 – May 28, 1843) was an American lexicographer, textbook pioneer, English-language spelling reformer, political writer, editor, and author. He has been called the "Father of American Scholarship and Education". His "Blue-backed Speller" books taught five generations of American children how to spell and read.

We need Noah and his Blue-backed Spellers back again.

• Members

I can agree with this, @1Timothy115. My grandfather had one of those things in his closet. He said that his one room schoolhouse that he attended from first to third grade used it, or at least had it in the classroom. Wish I still had it.

• Members

As nice as that would be, it is only a dream. The age of Philadelphia is past. That is not to say an individual church (or even an individual person) can not have a true revival, but we are in the time of the falling away before the return of Christ, so a nationwide or worldwide revival will never happen, according to the Bible.

• Members
On 5/25/2022 at 4:52 PM, Jerry said:

As nice as that would be, it is only a dream. The age of Philadelphia is past. That is not to say an individual church (or even an individual person) can not have a true revival, but we are in the time of the falling away before the return of Christ, so a nationwide or worldwide revival will never happen, according to the Bible.

Those words from the Bible were written well before the "Great Awakening" or the second "Great Awakening". There is no never where God is.

• Members

?? Yes, prophecy is usually written well before the events happen.

If the Bible did not specify anything about the condition of the churches before Christ's return, then we could certainly think anything is possible - however, multiple places in the NT (from the parables in Matthew 13, to the NT epistles, to Revelation 3 and 17-18) clearly prophesy a time of apostasy and a turning away from the faith in the churches/kingdom of God/Heaven shortly prior to the Lord's return. That's not my personal opinion, that is NT prophecy/Bible doctrine.

• Members

Indeed, God's prophet Hosea indicated revival would not occur again until after the church age when His Return and Reign occurs.

Neither revival in any form nor backsliding in any form is mentioned in the New Testament for a distinct reason. With His Spirit indwelling believers, backsliding is not possible. Just one of God's adjustments for man over history. Of course, men's traditions have made God's Word of none effect in this area also since the current definition of backsliding is tied to specific sins today. God's definition in the Old Testament had nothing to do with weakness of the flesh but rather spiritual adultery against God.

• Members

We can be revived to the work the Lord would have us to do. Revival is definitely something God controls, that's why He would have us "restore such an one in the spirit of meekness;"; and have Ephesus, "Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works;"; and Thyatira "except they repent"; and Sardis to "strengthen the things which remain" also "Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent."; even the Laodicean Church,  "I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent."

This thread wasn't started so that we could be impressed with any one individual's presumed superior knowledge of prophecy or scripture. It was started so that we might reflect on things from the past that might be desired again. 

Jerry, it appears you like to argue, and much of the time with me. I presented an opportunity for any who "had aught against" me to contact me, if this is you then, please contact me, as I requested in that post.

• Members

I do not have a problem with your specifically, nor was trying to "show off my superior intellect or view of Scripture" You stated something, and I pointed out what the Bible actually does say about it - in context. That's part of what studying the Word of God is all about - not reading a subject until we've heard enough and find an "acceptable position" to stand on, but studying the whole book to arrive at a conclusion that takes all the passages into consideration. My responses were an attempt to be Biblical, not controversial and not just have a religious viewpoint. If I am off on some things I believe or on some of my conclusions, I welcome input from the Bible. I don't get offended because someone else points out some passages or areas I may have overlooked in my conclusion. If my manner of coming across seemed wrong at any time to you, I apologize - though I do not apologize for attempting to stand upon God's Word or strive to be Biblical in my conclusions. If that is not something you can fellowship over, then we can choose not to reply to each others posts in the future.

But again, I will restate, it was not my intent to be offensive towards you, just to post further Bible input on this topic.

Isaiah 28:9-10 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Edited by Jerry

• Members

I fully believe that Christians can backslide...I've seen it happen, and I've seen them return. 

Proverbs 3:11-12

11: My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:

12For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

I've heard EVERY IFB preacher, and most SBC preachers I've sat under preach sermons on "The Prodigal Son" and how it relates to someone coming BACK to God. I've also heard some from each camp preach on how it is a lost soul coming to salvation. Both had valid points and Scriptures to back up their beliefs. 

• Members

Hosea 2 describes the Valley of Trouble, which makes an excellent message on "the Backslider's valley" - what God does to bring His wandering children back to Him (which implies some do go astray - no backsliding would mean no chastisement for His children, but various places in the NT and OT teach otherwise).

• Members

I do love how Webster sought to make many of his definitions refer back to the Bible (and give the definition of that word as used in the Bible). Many old readers used presented Bible doctrine in their lessons and/or referred directly to Bible characters and events, so that was pretty cool. Nowadays, people don't want the Bible at all in schools. How much different would the upcoming generations be if they used the same kind of readers again?