• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is the 9th commandment?

• Members

On a message board it is important not to violate the 9th commandment. We should not violate any commandment but the  danger on a message board is the 9th.

Here is the question framed out from The Baptist Catechism, with Commentary written by Pastor W.R.Downing, used by permission

Quest. 60: What is the Ninth Commandment? Ans: The Ninth Commandment is, “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.” (Ex. 20:16) Quest. 61: What is the significance of the Ninth Commandment? Ans: The Ninth Commandment requires both the maintenance and the promotion of truth between human beings, and of our own and of our neighbor’s good name, especially in witness– bearing

. See also: Gen. 12:11–13, 19; 20:1–14; 30:31–33; Ex. 1:15–21; 22:10–12; 23:1; Lev. 5:1; 19:11, 15–16; Numb. 35:30; Deut. 1:15–17; 13:1–18; 17:6–12; 18:20–22; 19:15–21; 22:13–21; Josh. 2:2–21; 1 Sam. 16:1–5; 19:1–5; 2 Sam. 17:15–22; 1 Kgs. 21:1–13; 22:6–28; 2 Kgs. 5:5–27; 6:8–20; Job. 5:21; 27:3–6; Psa. 5:6; 12:1–5; 15:1–4; 112 27:12; 31:6; 35:11, 16, 20–21; 50:16–20; 55:21; 58:3; 116:11; 139:4, 23–24; Prov. 6:16–19; 9:7–8; 10:18–21; 11:12–13; 12:6, 13, 18, 22; 14:5, 7, 9, 14:15, 25; 18:8, 21; 19:5; 25:9–10, 18; 26:18–28; Eccl. 5:1–8; Isa. 5:23; 59:13–15; 63:8; Jer. 18:18; 20:10; Hos. 4:2; Zech. 8:17; Matt. 5:33–37, 48; 7:1–6; 10:17–20; 11:16–19; 12:34–37; 26:59–62; Jn. 8:44; 14:6; Acts 5:1–10; 24:5–6; Rom. 1:25; 3:8, 13– 14; 1 Cor. 4:3–5; 2 Cor. 2:17; Eph. 4:25, 29–31; Col. 3:8–9; 4:6; Titus 1:2; Heb. 6:13–18; 10:28–29; Jas. 1:26; 3:5–13; 1 Pet. 3:16; 1 Jn. 2:21–23; Rev. 21:8, 27; 22:15.

COMMENTARY As with the preceding three Commandments, the analysis is twofold: first, a perpetual negative declaration prohibiting falsehood, and second, a positive implication, “Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself,” i.e., maintain and promote truthfulness and equity to all those with whom we come in contact or have any relation to—within the bounds of Scripture. The Third Commandment forbids perjury against God, the Ninth forbids perjury against our fellow man.

The Fifth Commandment guards the rights of authority,

the Sixth guards the rights of person and life,

the Seventh guards the rights of marriage and family, and thus of society;

the Eighth guards the rights of property.

The Ninth Commandment guards the rights of both name and reputation, and so necessarily guards the system of justice which is absolutely essential to society itself (Psa. 11:1–4; Isa. 1:17, 23, 26). The purpose of this Commandment is to secure the truth among men, which is absolutely essential to preserve individual life, reputation, justice and society. When truth is considered relative, i.e., existential or apart from God– ordained absolutes, the very foundation of society is potentially destroyed, for human society is based upon the presupposition that men are speaking the truth to one another. The nature of falsehood derives from the devil. He put forth the first lie (Gen. 3:1–6), and is called the father of lies (Jn. 8:44). Satan or the devil is described in Scripture as the destroyer (Rev. 9:11), adversary (1 Pet. 5:8), deceiver (Eph. 6:10; Rev. 20:10) and slanderer or accuser (1 Tim. 3:6–7; 1 Jn. 3:8; Rev. 12:10). His intent is to destroy God’s law–order by opposition, deceit and accusation. Every lie reflects this devilish principle. Thus, every liar is in league with the devil and is set against the law–order of God. Fallen man turned away from God and thus from any possibility of absolute and objective truth or reality. Fallen, sinful man has purposely “exchanged the truth of God for ‘the lie,’” and thus the whole realm of humanity is based on a universal principle of falsehood with its depraved results (Psa. 58:3; Rom. 1:18–32). This principle of falsehood may be relatively mild in the form of flattery or social politeness, or malignant in the form of perjury and other malicious lies—yet it remains the one pervasive characteristic of fallen mankind.

To secure the truth, man must turn to the objective, authoritative Word of God, to Divinely–ordained absolutes, i.e., to a “revelational epistemology,” 113

i.e., a practical theory of knowledge and truth based on Divine revelation. See Question 13. The only approach to truth and knowledge is in and through the Word of God (Jn. 17:17; Rom. 1:18–25). God is not only true, he is the Source of all reality, truth and meaning. Apart from him, there is no truth— only empirical speculation at best and at worst, utter [spiritual and moral] irrationality. Silence may be sin. One must exercise godly discernment as when to speak and when not to speak. Sometimes, it is sinful not to speak, and at other times, sinful to speak. Under certain circumstances, one must speak out for the truth or commit sin (Ex. 23:1–2; 1 Sam. 19:4–5; Psa. 50:18; Prov. 12:22), and at others, remain silent to protect one’s self or another from those who have no right to know certain information (Prov. 11:9–13).

At other times, we must discern how much truth ought to be revealed or concealed (1 Sam. 16:1– 5). We must seek to maintain a clear conscience before God in accordance with his Word (Acts 23:1). God created man in his image and likeness, as a rational, morally– responsible being to exercise godly dominion over creation. To fulfill this mandate, man was created with the faculty of speech to commune with God and communicate with his fellow man. Sin has dreadfully perverted the use of the tongue. The very instrument created to praise God turns to curse him— and to curse one’s fellow man. The tongue reveals the fullness of the heart or inner being and expresses its depraved nature. (Matt. 12:34; Mk. 7:21–23; Rom. 3:13–14; Jas. 2:2–12). Speech is “the exhalation of the soul.” The believer is mandated to exercise dominion over his heart and tongue (Prov. 4:23; Rom. 6:14–18; Gal. 5:23; Eph. 4:22–25, 29–31; Jas. 1:26; 2:2–12). All government necessarily begins with self–government, and self–government necessarily begins with regeneration. A changed heart is necessary for a changed tongue, and a sanctified personality is essential to mortifying the sins of the tongue (Rom. 6:12–13; 8:13; Col. 3:5, 9–10). Do we lie?

• Members

Observation....you are posting long diatribes again....Commentary from others when you don't seem to have anything you can bring to the conversation yourself, in your OWN words. We're all aware that the 9th commandment talks about "not bearing false witness against our neighbor." Yet, to be honest, Iconoclast, you've done just that many times on these forums. How is anyone to take you seriously when you violate the very things you're posting commentary from others on. You've named Jim, Pastor Scott, me, and others here as "confused," accused us of not using Scripture, and of not coming to the point...yet, it seems none of us have to run to anything but the Bible to make our points. Hmmm....something's not adding up here. Again...where is your salvation testimony? 

• Members
5 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Observation....you are posting long diatribes again....Commentary from others when you don't seem to have anything you can bring to the conversation yourself, in your OWN words. We're all aware that the 9th commandment talks about "not bearing false witness against our neighbor." Yet, to be honest, Iconoclast, you've done just that many times on these forums. How is anyone to take you seriously when you violate the very things you're posting commentary from others on. You've named Jim, Pastor Scott, me, and others here as "confused," accused us of not using Scripture, and of not coming to the point...yet, it seems none of us have to run to anything but the Bible to make our points. Hmmm....something's not adding up here. Again...where is your salvation testimony? 

You violate the commandment yet again in this post.

I have found several people who are confused and I offer correction in a direct manner.

I said only you do not use scripture in your responses to me.

I think you mentioned Jn3:16 one time...not even sure if it was to me.

I offer good links that most Christian's would enjoy looking at and studying.

I know that God has given gifted Pastors and teachers to the church so I do not despise them but enjoy them.

You refer to it as a long diatribe. 

This indicates you are not well read and cannot be bothered to look up the verses that would teach you truth.

Jim said he does not care what commentators have to say.He has his bible and the Spirit.He is of course welcome to do or believe what he wants.

He calls Gods decree of election nonsense...denies the clear teaching of scripture in several places claiming men elect themselves by believing, then they are elect.

This is a false hood and I will offer several scriptures  on that thread later on.

I have asked you to pick a topic and discuss it.

You have not.

I do not need to read your false accusations,9th commandment violations.

Keep them to yourself.

If you do not come with posted scripture I have no need to read posts with no substance. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

I have found several people who are confused and I offer correction in a direct manner.

I know that God has given gifted Pastors and teachers to the church so I do not despise them but enjoy them.

This indicates you are not well read and cannot be bothered to look up the verses that would teach you truth.

Jim said he does not care what commentators have to say.He has his bible and the Spirit.He is of course welcome to do or believe what he wants.

He calls Gods decree of election nonsense...denies the clear teaching of scripture in several places claiming men elect themselves by believing, then they are elect.

This is a false hood and I will offer several scriptures  on that thread later on.

You have not.

Keep them to yourself.

If you do not come with posted scripture I have no need to read posts with no substance. 

You're truly dilusional, Iconoclast. I've posted Scripture several times. I've not violated the 9th commandment in any way, shape, nor form, yet, you have continued to do so against nearly everyone who has posted in response to you. I truly don't see why you continue to stay, as you've seen your positions concerning the Bible and salvation aren't believed or accepted here. We believe the Word of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit, not the ravings of Calvins and his ilk. Misinformed, mistaken? We don't believe so...in fact, Scripturally we know better. 

So, that leads me to this again, a request you've sidestepped again and again here...where is your testimony of salvation? 

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

You're truly dilusional, Iconoclast. I've posted Scripture several times. I've not violated the 9th commandment in any way, shape, nor form, yet, you have continued to do so against nearly everyone who has posted in response to you. I truly don't see why you continue to stay, as you've seen your positions concerning the Bible and salvation aren't believed or accepted here. We believe the Word of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit, not the ravings of Calvins and his ilk. Misinformed, mistaken? We don't believe so...in fact, Scripturally we know better. 

So, that leads me to this again, a request you've sidestepped again and again here...where is your testimony of salvation? 

Has anyone posted a Calvin quote? If so tell me where it was posted?

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

How condescending of you to bow down and help those of us who are confused.

The long diatribe was in reference to your "copy and paste" information from others, to try to bolster your position.

You well know that I did not mean I don't care what any biblical commentators have to say. What I said was in reference to heritical Calvinist commentators. I read commentators, but am not bound by what they say when it conflicts with what God's Holy Spirit reveals to me.

Read it again, I did not call God's decree of election nonsense, I called your interpretation of election nonsense. 1 Peter 1:2 (KJV) Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.  Peter is here addressing the elect, or saved people. They are saved and this is what makes them the elect, not God electing them to be saved, they are already saved. Nowhere did I say that they elect themselves. It is a simple fact that election is proven by being saved, we are not elected to be saved.

You have not.

Keep them to yourself.

This is just rude, this is a discussion board and not limited to posting only Scripture, Scripture may or may not be used, at the discretion of the poster. Personal attacks are neither welcome or allowed here.

Iconoclast, in my opinion you and your heretical posts targeted at me personally, do not deserve a reply; but out of Christian courtesy, I choose to reply to your accusations against me in your text above. You will find my responses directly under your accusations in this boldened contrasting text color.

But before I get to that, as an administrator on this forum, I want to address your presence and motive for being on this message forum. Like the many heretical false teachers/preachers before you that have joined this forum; you burst on the scene in full blown teaching or preaching mode, without so much as the courtesy of introducing yourself. Members here cannot even determine if you are a Christian, since you have consistently refused to give a testimony of your salvation, if you have one, although you have been asked for such testimony several times.

Based on your actions and posted content on this forum it is patently evident that you are here to argue, cause division and promote the heretical doctrine of Calvinism. This is made evident, not only on this message forum, but also on other message forums that you have joined and posted on. The very screen name you chose is a strong indication of your adversarial nature.

The stated purpose of this message board is one of Christian fellowship with like minded believers and to the edification of those believers as Independent Fundamental Baptists. Since the beginning your presence here has been anything but the aforementioned. You also appear on the scene with the arrogant attitude that you know more than anyone else here and set about to straighten us out. 

If this sounds harsh, it is meant to be and I resent being pushed to moderate with a heavy hand. So, in this respect you may consider this a warning to cease and desist with pushing your Calvinist attack on this message board and also stop posting your long "copy and past" writings of others of your ilk.

Titus 3:10 (KJV) A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

1 Timothy 1:3 (KJV) As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

Proverbs 16:18 (KJV) Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Pr 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Pr 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Pr 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

Pr 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Iconoclast, in my opinion you and your heretical posts targeted at me personally, do not deserve a reply; but out of Christian courtesy, I choose to reply to your accusations against me in your text above. You will find my responses directly under your accusations in this boldened contrasting text color.

But before I get to that, as an administrator on this forum, I want to address your presence and motive for being on this message forum. Like the many heretical false teachers/preachers before you that have joined this forum; you burst on the scene in full blown teaching or preaching mode, without so much as the courtesy of introducing yourself. Members here cannot even determine if you are a Christian, since you have consistently refused to give a testimony of your salvation, if you have one, although you have been asked for such testimony several times.

Based on your actions and posted content on this forum it is patently evident that you are here to argue, cause division and promote the heretical doctrine of Calvinism. This is made evident, not only on this message forum, but also on other message forums that you have joined and posted on. The very screen name you chose is a strong indication of your adversarial nature.

The stated purpose of this message board is one of Christian fellowship with like minded believers and to the edification of those believers as Independent Fundamental Baptists. Since the beginning your presence here has been anything but the aforementioned. You also appear on the scene with the arrogant attitude that you know more than anyone else here and set about to straighten us out. 

If this sounds harsh, it is meant to be and I resent being pushed to moderate with a heavy hand. So, in this respect you may consider this a warning to cease and desist with pushing your Calvinist attack on this message board and also stop posting your long "copy and past" writings of others of your ilk.

Titus 3:10 (KJV) A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

1 Timothy 1:3 (KJV) As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

Proverbs 16:18 (KJV) Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Pr 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Pr 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Pr 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

Pr 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Big Jim....accuser of the brethren.

If the title of this forum was IGNORANT ONLINE BAPTISTS I WOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT TO EXPECT.

YOU AND YOUR SMUG SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS ARE NOT WORTH MY TIME.

YOU CONDEMN EVERYONE BUT YOUR LITTLE 5 MEMBER POSSE OF APOSTATES.

SAYING MEN ELECT THEMSELVES, SAVE THEMSELVES , SPURGEON DAGG AND ALL CALVINISTS are heretics are over the top. YOU DID POST YOU JUST NEED YOUR BIBLE AND THE SPIRIT...Yeah, you are full of yourself.

I can here to help, but you BIG JIM ARE READY TO CENSOR ME IF i PRESENT THE HISTORIC FAITH, TELLING ME  NOT TO PRESENT HISTORIC TRUTH ,WHEN YOU AND EVERYONE WHO POSTS ON HERE ARE BLIND AS BATS.

I have dealt with online morons before on two other sites. You cannot answer the historic faith.

Supposed pastor scott opposes the words of Jesus. Tony cannot use a verse and yes Tony I remember you from other sites where you did the same empty accusations, but Cals were not silenced like Big JIM wants...

Big Jim, Big hypocrite.

Jim you are impressed with your title a ADMINISTRATOR,LOL YOU ARE SO Full of yourself, but not once could you give an answer. So you silence anyone who challenges your little posse.....you cannot answer so you censor.

It was you who have been hostile from your first post to me , as well as all your little posse, no wonder this forum has like 10-11 people. Closed minded bigots, attacking anyone who offers anything.

You mock the few quotes offered and yet you could not provide anything close to what was written.

Enjoy your little echo chamber.

You desire to Censor me, so soon I will start my own site, where small minded hypocrites like you cannot censor the historic faith, and I will comment on posts from this site and point out the Christ dishonoring heresies that get put out in public. 

BIG JIM GETS TO CENSOR TRUTH HERE,BUT THE TRUTH WILL WIN OUT. 

• Members

James 3:13-18 -- "Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you?  Let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.  But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.  This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.  For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.  But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.  And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."