• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

If you were not a baptists, what other denomation would you have been...

• Administrators

Jesus did not create any Denominations, He built His church. Denominations are of man made origin. So, to answer your question, I would have t say NONE. Baptist was the original true church and remains so up to this day. 

• Members
9 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Jesus did not create any Denominations, He built His church. Denominations are of man made origin. So, to answer your question, I would have t say NONE. Baptist was the original true church and remains so up to this day. 

I agree, but the name Baptist was added by man later. I think the true name is Christian followers. We born again Christians, are Christians faith followers. Or like you mentioned, None.

Would you be more methodist for example.

• Members

It's strange how some believe "Baptists" were the original church....either that or it's been worded incorrectly. I thought they were first called "Christians" in Antioch. That being said, I would say that I would, if it was necessary, become and Evangelical Free member. Their churches in the areas I've been in that have had both IFB/SBC churches alongside the E-Free churches, have been the closest I've found to what most IFB and some SBC churches are at present. Close behind this are many of the "Bible" churches. People have to be careful about the LABELS on churches, because many times they don't truly represent what is on the sign.

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

It's strange how some believe "Baptists" were the original church....either that or it's been worded incorrectly. I thought they were first called "Christians" in Antioch. That being said, I would say that I would, if it was necessary, become and Evangelical Free member. Their churches in the areas I've been in that have had both IFB/SBC churches alongside the E-Free churches, have been the closest I've found to what most IFB and some SBC churches are at present. Close behind this are many of the "Bible" churches. People have to be careful about the LABELS on churches, because many times they don't truly represent what is on the sign.

I hear some mention Baptist, that John the Baptist, some say it as a joke. There can be some that believe this. There are many divisions when it comes to names, but when it comes to Christ as the Savior, many agree on this.

• Members

The closest that I have found to Independant Fundamental Baptist - of which I wholly align myself with as far as beliefs go, where Baptists/IFB have stood historically - is Free Presbyterian. They are KJV0nly, believe in the fundamentals of the faith, and most Baptist Distinctives**. They are a denomination, so I would disagree with them there. Presbyterians in the past, including John Knox (not Free Presbyterians), have advocated for and had church run states/cities, though I do not think Paisley and the denomination he started promotes that in any way.

**The ones I am not totally sure they accept or belief today are: Autonomy of the local church, Separation of church and State, as Saved then baptized for church membership. As a protestant denomination, Presbyterians have in the past taught infant baptism. I personally do not know if Free Presbyterians accept this in any way today though.

As far as the question of this thread goes, I would attend or visit a Free Presbyterian church as long as there was not a solid IFB church to go to. I have no desire to go to a watered down church, one that promotes any kind of rock/ccm, one that uses modern versions. From all that I know of Free Presbyterian churches, they will not accept or tolerate these things either. Through the years, I have listened to many sermons preached by Free Presbyterians and have found them very edifying, except ones where they overly emphasized their Calvinism or hyper-focussed on preaching against the Catholic church (this is why they would still be considered a Protestant church today - I came out of Catholicism and teach and preach against it as I am preaching the Word of God, but do not exclusively focus on "protesting" against that religion, but rather focus on the Bible and expose any religion or false doctrine as it comes up in any passages I am teaching or any conversations while I am fellowshipping with other true believers or witnessing to the lost).

• Members
2 hours ago, 360watt said:

I have wondered about open brethren churches.  They have seemed close to IFB churches in a lot of things.  

I'd probably have a look at one of them if there was no ifb church within cooee

I never heard of this church, how is the worship, traditional or contemporary.

• Members
13 hours ago, 360watt said:

This site looks like good info on them: https://www.cob-net.org/docs/groups.htm

13 hours ago, 360watt said:

This site looks like good info on them: https://www.cob-net.org/docs/groups.htm

I visit the website and found a link to this church.

The Moravian Church has stood for basic religious principles for more than 500 years. Through these years the church has often put into written form the precepts of its faith and practice in what is known as the Covenant for Christian Living.

Moravians recognize the example of Christ’s life and proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord. Living the Christian life depends not only on our own effort, but upon God our Father, who in Jesus Christ accepts us as heirs of God and strengthens and sustains us.

Not to criticize this church, but I noticed right away that the focus is love, love, and love, very little doctrinal, and priorities for less Bible study, focusing more towards loving each other as Christ loved us. Everything else is placed on the back burner.

For us independent Baptist, we focus more on reaching out the loss for Christ, through salvation, discipling them, baptizing them, and making them fishers of men and to live for Christ. Much Bible Study and Spiritual growth.

• Members
14 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

The Moravian Church has stood for basic religious principles for more than 500 years. Through these years the church has often put into written form the precepts of its faith and practice in what is known as the Covenant for Christian Living.

Moravians recognize the example of Christ’s life and proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord. Living the Christian life depends not only on our own effort, but upon God our Father, who in Jesus Christ accepts us as heirs of God and strengthens and sustains us.

Not to criticize this church, but I noticed right away that the focus is love, love, and love, very little doctrinal, and priorities for less Bible study, focusing more towards loving each other as Christ loved us. Everything else is placed on the back burner.

For us independent Baptist, we focus more on reaching out the loss for Christ, through salvation, discipling them, baptizing them, and making them fishers of men and to live for Christ. Much Bible Study and Spiritual growth.

There should be a balance of both of these positions for it to be a successful venture for the Lord. But, the Bible does say  in John 13:34-35...

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

I don't believe any church can reach people without love for the people they are reaching out to. It doesn't mean turning a blind eye to sin, but, it does mean to be like Christ was in our approach.

• Members
6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

There should be a balance of both of these positions for it to be a successful venture for the Lord. But, the Bible does say  in John 13:34-35...

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

I don't believe any church can reach people without love for the people they are reaching out to. It doesn't mean turning a blind eye to sin, but, it does mean to be like Christ was in our approach.

The only problem with so much Love BT, is that it turns its eyes away of the sins of man.

• Members
7 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Okay. My experience was from visiting an open brethren church,  but there is probably some differences within them, as there was a seperation from the exclusive brethren. And then different types within open brethren also.  

• Members
6 minutes ago, 360watt said:

Okay. My experience was from visiting an open brethren church,  but there is probably some differences within them, as there was a seperation from the exclusive brethren. And then different types within open brethren also.  

The page I visited, did have much information. I did felt that I could be looking at the wrong thing. Thanks for the update