• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Former Baptist Pastor Released From Prison

• Members

The former pastor fot he First Baptist Church of Hammond, Indiana, and son-in-law of the late Dr. Jack Hyles, the late, scandal ridden pastor of First Baptist of Hammond, has been released from prison after serving 9 of his 12 year Federal sentence for taking a young 16 year old parishoner whom he was "counseling" across state lines to Illinois and Michigan for sex. He had appealed for a "compassionate release" in 2021, telling the Federal judge that his frail and elderly parents needed him to take care of them. The judge, cited many reasons for not allowing the release, one of the main causes being that there seemed to be no remorse for his actions with said parishoner.

https://www.stoppastoralabuse.org/post/jack-schaap-scheduled-to-be-released

• Members

It seems like there is a lot of evil associated with that church and several of its pastors.

Good thing that the Lord God can bring healing to His people, even if they suffered some kind of sexual abuse or trauma. A victim does not have to stay a victim or remain in the bondage or damage that the abuse to them caused. I was sexually abused for a ongoing period of time during my teen years, and it did mess me up for years afterwards, but after I got saved and had a solid walk with the Lord based upon His Word, the Lord brought healing of my mind and spirit (in His time, I will add though).

If their victims are not saved, we need to pray that the Holy Spirit enlightens them to the truth and that He clearly shows them that those pastors, etc. do not represent His true people or His Word. If they do respond to the Gospel and trust the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour, the indwelling Holy Spirit can heal what is broken over time.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Jerry said:

It seems like there is a lot of evil associated with that church and several of its pastors.

Good thing that the Lord God can bring healing to His people, even if they suffered some kind of sexual abuse or trauma. A victim does not have to stay a victim or remain in the bondage or damage that the abuse to them caused. I was sexually abused for a ongoing period of time during my teen years, and it did mess me up for years afterwards, but after I got saved and had a solid walk with the Lord based upon His Word, the Lord brought healing of my mind and spirit (in His time, I will add though).

If their victims are not saved, we need to pray that the Holy Spirit enlightens them to the truth and that He clearly shows them that those pastors, etc. do not represent His true people or His Word. If they do respond to the Gospel and trust the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour, the indwelling Holy Spirit can heal what is broken over time.

I'm praying that Mr. Schaap is reformed and remorseful for his wrongdoing. Many don't believe he is. I know back in the years when Joe Combs, a HAC related pastor who was pastoring near Knoxville was arrested, along with his wife, on charges of abusing children in their home and in the church, the FBCH was in full support of Mr. Combs. They were both found guilty. I've seen a lot of abuse from people associated with HAC/FBCH...but, to be fair, I've also seen a lot of good come from people who were/are still associated with the church. Because of our pastors support of Hyles/Schaap/Combs back in 2000, during our pastors rant about Joe Combs being set up and the liberal media exploiting the situation, my wife and I got up and left during the middle of the service here. We left the IFB affiliated churches at that time. We had been praying for several months about what was going on and sought the guidance of the Lord in what we were to do. We visited several SBC affiliated churches over the next few weeks, and ended up in an SBC church about 3 miles from the church we had removed ourself from. There is a LOT of unaddressed and covered up sexual abuse in the IFB movement, as there is in any religious organization, including the SBC affiliated churches. I can tell you that the church where I first attended Bible college has a history of sexual sin, including abuse....the current pastor of that church had his son as assistant/youth pastor, and he was arrested for sexually abusing a member of the youth group. His father is still the pastor of the church to this day. I still pray for the church because the pastor can't help what his son did. I pray for FBCH and HAC because a lot of good people have come out of both of those places. It's up to every individual whom they are going to follow and serve...some are in each place serving the Lord, while others are serving themselve and the devil. 

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced what you did @Jerry. I have experienced some of the same, as well as other physical and mental abuse. Yet, I know that Christ expects us all to depend on HIM and recover. It's how much we depend upon him and are in the Word as to how we'll recover and serve the Lord. 

• Members
2 hours ago, JustaSearcher said:

I'm sure he'll easily find an IFB church to "pastor". 

That's very possible, especially amongst those churches who worshipped Jack Hyles above God. There are quite a few. We have a couple in this area. But, then, to be fair, we have some who used to support Hyles who no longer have the "Jim Jones" mentality. 

2 hours ago, JustaSearcher said:

Too bad his victim can't be released. He got 12 years. She got a lifetime of trauma. 

I had many older church friends that remarked about how Schaap got a "light sentence" compared to what he would have gotten back in the early to mid 1900s. I know of a man who got 75 years for this kind of thing back in my hometown back in the 1970s. Very similar situation...the only addition to the crime? He provided drugs.

• Members
2 hours ago, Jerry said:

First Baptist of Hammond and Hyles Anderson "College" are pervert factories. If not pervs, crooks who steal as much as they can. Seen it first hand.

• Members

Have you prayed for Jack Schaap yet?

Galatians 6:1   Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Matthew 26:41   Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you. 5 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all. 6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many. 7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow. 8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him. 9 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things. ~ 2 Corinthians 2:4-9

• Members

Matthew 18:6-7 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

• Members
9 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Galatians 6:1   Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Matthew 26:41   Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you. 5 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all. 6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many. 7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow. 8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him. 9 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things. ~ 2 Corinthians 2:4-9

If you read my posts, you'd see I have. And yes, I have prayed for Mr. Schaap...we're NONE perfect. Read my signature line. I'm well aware of the fact that I personally am not perfect. Thank you for the Scripture, though. ?

• Members
10 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Typical fundamentalist garbage.

Pray for the perv, not the victim. Rip a few Bible verses out of context to lay the burden on those who dare point out the crime. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, JustaSearcher said:

Pray for the perv, not the victim. Rip a few Bible verses out of context to lay the burden on those who dare point out the crime. 

Since when is Scripture "fundamentalist garbage"???

• Members
15 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

If you read my posts, you'd see I have. And yes, I have prayed for Mr. Schaap...we're NONE perfect. Read my signature line. I'm well aware of the fact that I personally am not perfect. Thank you for the Scripture, though. ?

I'm glad God's words caused you to reply. I won't go searching through past posts to see what has been said regarding other situations. I read this post and it lacked compassion and humility; so, I posted the appropriate scripture.

13 hours ago, JustaSearcher said:

Acts 8:23   For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

• Members
8 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I'm glad God's words caused you to reply. I won't go searching through past posts to see what has been said regarding other situations. I read this post and it lacked compassion and humility; so, I posted the appropriate scripture.

Acts 8:23   For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

It lacked neither, and the request was to read the posts concerning this situation. I can see why there was a reaction from another from these forums in response to yours.