• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Preacher friend of mine, using the NIV Bible

• Members

Using NVI - S in a Spanish Southern Baptist Church. I mention to him that the Reina Valera Bible is preferred here. But he continues to use the NVI - S. Like the KJV preferred churches, Spanish churches have members using Reina Velera preferred. New versions like the NIV are slipping in. Many are just staying quiet. He’s a good preacher, preaching with the wrong Bible. I have attended and visited Southern Baptist Churches, English and Spanish. The Independent Baptist is still my favorite. No NIV just the original KJ Bible. 

Edited by E Morales
Spelling

• Members
8 hours ago, E Morales said:

Using NVI - S in a Spanish Southern Baptist Church. I mention to him that the Reina Valera Bible is preferred here. But he continues to use the NVI - S. Like the KJV preferred churches, Spanish churches have members using Reina Velera preferred. New versions like the NIV are slipping in. Many are just staying quiet. He a good preacher, preaching with the wrong Bible. I have attended and visited Southern Baptist Churches, English and Spanish. The Independent Baptist is still my favorite. No NIV just the original KJ Bible. 

Though I've stated here that I used to be KJVO growing up, and now am KJV preferred, I don't limit what version God can use in making his disciples, and in bringing people to the saving knowledge of himself. To say that "this version is wrong/not a Bible" is, in my opinion, tantamount to saying that the Holy Spirit is making a mistake in having people come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ through its use. I'm not saying these other translations are the best, but I am saying I, personally, am not going to be the one to tell a preacher which way he believes the Holy Spirit has led him in which translation to use. Others here are free to do so if they wish...that's between them and the Lord. 

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I don't limit what version God can use in making his disciples, and in bringing people to the saving knowledge of himself.

Spot on BT! I used to preach at a nursing home where two of my most faithful attendees were also the most faithful Catholics. I've met many IFB KJVO people who would never accept that these two ladies could have been saved clutching to their rosaries and New American Bibles, but these ladies were some of the most God fearing, Jesus Christ believing and loving, people I have ever met.

It is a very foolish person that limits God's ability to save to a specific Bible version or church. If handled properly those differences can lead to wonderful times of discussion about those differences in truth and love. I sincerely miss my time spent with my two sisters in Christ: Peggy and Aileen. I have no doubt they are with Christ today.

Edited by Napsterdad

• Members

Catholicism is not a different denomination or church - it is an entirely different religion, using some of the same terms and words, but with different meanings. Yes, a Catholic can get saved DESPITE their religion, but their walk will be hindered or affected to the extent that they are still stuck in their doctrines and practices.

My Mom was a Catholic. She got saved through reading her Bible around two years before she died. She was truly saved - but due to her cancer and being in and out of the hospital (and in and out of comas due to failed organs), she never "left" the Catholic church officially (though in reality, she was probably not that much in their services and activities in that last year or two anyway). She however, no longer believed the fundamental works doctrine of the Catholic church and its mass, as she was fully trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation and His finished work on the cross.

In regards to this thread: Is God limited by only being able to save those who have the King James Bible? Of course not - HOWEVER, the Bible you read and study from will affect your day to day walk with the Lord, your understanding of Bible doctrine to the extent that version is changed or different from the KJV, and and also possibly affect your reverence for the Lord and the things of God depending upon what type of Bible is being read (I have read or watched various testimonies of believers stating this exact thing, that reading a dynamic equivalent version or a paraphrase had affected them and that they themselves noticed a major difference when they turned to the King James Bible).

• Members
12 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Though I've stated here that I used to be KJVO growing up, and now am KJV preferred, I don't limit what version God can use in making his disciples, and in bringing people to the saving knowledge of himself. To say that "this version is wrong/not a Bible" is, in my opinion, tantamount to saying that the Holy Spirit is making a mistake in having people come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ through its use. I'm not saying these other translations are the best, but I am saying I, personally, am not going to be the one to tell a preacher which way he believes the Holy Spirit has led him in which translation to use. Others here are free to do so if they wish...that's between them and the Lord. 

Our board would not hire a preacher who used anything other than the 1769 KJV. We would not allow a speaker who didn't use the 1769 KJV.

• Members
23 hours ago, E Morales said:

I believe he prefers the conservative version, like strong lemonade that is not water down.

Refreshing When Life Gives You Lemons GIF by Paperless Post

Go with the version that has produced the most fruit in the last 100 years.  " By their fruits ye shall know them"

• Members

There are over 450 versions of the bible in the English language, and more than 45,000 denominations in the Christian religion, and about 4,300 religions around the world. Now , God is not the author of confusion, but I believe Satan is. 

I have come to the theory, if you will, over the decades; that the other versions, (that is other than the K.J.V.) are humanistic at their core. The reason I say this is that I have notice humanist terminology in a lot of them. Now this is an extreme view point for the moment, but I am still studying the subject. It would be unfair for me to draw a final conclusion without more evidence, so this is just my opinion for now.  

• Members

I have not thought much about "humanistic" terms specifically in modern versions, though their approach to choosing manuscripts and translation choices certainly qualify as humanistic - bringing the Bible down to the level of any other human writings, believing certain parts are inspired and others are not, believing there are errors and things that need to be corrected, believing God did not really preserve His Word so they need to find the missing parts or correct the errors using their own humanistic judgement.