• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Unanswered Prayers

• Members

Do you ever have the feeling, your prayers never get past the ceiling?

1 John 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
1 John 5:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

• Members
On 4/20/2022 at 10:14 PM, 1Timothy115 said:

Do you ever have the feeling, your prayers never get past the ceiling?

1 John 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
1 John 5:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

Yes, and the Holy Ghost showed me why and I repented and they were then answered, almost every time!

Other verses teach us that we have to be in fellowship with the Lord for him to hear us.

• Administrators

There are times when our prayers seem to go unanswered and so it might seem that they aren't getting "past the ceiling."

Some of those times it is indeed sin that is causing it (If I regard iniquity in my heart, the LORD will not hear me). The Holy Spirit will show us, though, if we are truly seeking, if that is the case.

Some of those times are in line with what Jesus taught His disciples...remember the story of the unjust judge? How the lady kept after him and after him until he did what she asked? He applied that to prayer: so there are times when we are to keep asking until the answer comes - whether the answer be yea or nay.

There is a beauty in what seems to be unanswered prayer, as we spend more time talking with God, pleading for the answer. I think it might be said at those times that it seems the prayer is hitting the ceiling. But Jesus promises us that, if we are asking in His will and if we are not hiding sin in our hearts, even that prayer will be answered. Again, whether it is yea or nay, or even "wait a bit." George Mueller prayed for YEARS for 2 friends to be saved. One of them got saved not too long before Mueller died. The other? Mueller never got to see that prayer answered while on earth, thus some might say it went unanswered. But it didn't...because years later, the man DID get saved. Sometimes there's a wait. And that wait can seem heavy. God never told us how quickly the answer would come. Just that it WILL. 

There was a time several years ago that it felt like my prayer for a certain thing was not even reaching the ceiling. I begged God in tears throughout the night to hear and to answer. Honestly, my husband was worried that I might go crazy, and it was beginning to affect my health...it was that bad. At times I most certainly felt that ceiling blockage. I sought to see if it were due to sin on my part. God assured me it was not. So I continued to pray. After weeks, a glimmer of hope appeared as part of the prayer was answered. But the entire prayer? It took over a decade. I expected an answer, but God gloriously answered in ways that I never expected. 

His promises are true. 

• Members
14 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Yes, and the Holy Ghost showed me why and I repented and they were then answered, almost every time!

Other verses teach us that we have to be in fellowship with the Lord for him to hear us.

Honesty is so refreshing. Same here...but, many times they were answered, just not in accord with my will.