• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I’m starting to clap in church sometimes…

• Members

Clap for what? It is not entertainment, it is preaching. If the music has so strong a beat that you feel the need to clap with it, it probably shouldn't be in a church.

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

clapping is for performers, not preachers or people singing specials. A simple "amen" would suffice.

The clap is supposedly unto the Lord. Does He hear this, or can it be a type of praise. I thought 

• Members

There is nothing specifically against Scripture in clapping during music. If it's at the end of special music or preaching, it probably doesn't belong there. But, there's nothing specifically unscriptural about that either. It's up to every church to decide for themselves instead of others to make blanket statements or judgements on what another AUTONOMOUS CHURCH should be doing. Scripture mentions dancing, singing, and the raising of hands in praise, yet, we find that many denominations, INCLUDING BAPTISTS, do have a problem with some of these...still...there's nothing in particularly unscriptural about them. It's the manner and settings in which they're used that bring them into question.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, E Morales said:

The clap is supposedly unto the Lord. Does He hear this, or can it be a type of praise. I thought 

My own reasoning is that clapping at the end of a special praises the one singing the special, that is why I personally don't like it. If I sing a special, I will usually ask that people do not applaud at the end, "amen" is good enough and should be because of the message in the hymn. I discourage it because I am not a performer.

Personally, I have never heard anyone clap because of preaching. That's a new one to me.

• Members
22 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

My own reasoning is that clapping at the end of a special praises the one singing the special, that is why I personally don't like it. If I sing a special, I will usually ask that people do not applaud at the end, "amen" is good enough and should be because of the message in the hymn. I discourage it because I am not a performer.

Personally, I have never heard anyone clap because of preaching. That's a new one to me.

I know of several churches, IFB, SBC, GARBC, BMA, ABA, etc., that have clapping during the music, after the music, and during preaching. There's nothing wrong with it...it's just another way of affirming what the song, the preacher, or the choir has stated. Many try to make more out of it than what it is...go figure. For the record, it's not my favorite form of affirmation, either. 

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members

For some, clapping is the same as saying "amen". Clapping is not always about praising a performance or a person, but basically being in agreement with what was sung or said. When done in moderation, I don't see a problem with it.

I have to admit, there have been some sermons I was going to watch online and the amount of amen's, clapping, shouting, hooping, and hollering from the audience during the sermon was just too much and I turned it off. When that happens, it does feel like a performance and not a sermon. I'm also not a fan of pew jumpers/aisle runners/pulpit mounting, but that's a different topic. 

• Members

The NT refers to saying amen at the preaching, the giving of thanks - it nowhere states that we should clap. How about conducting our worship services according to God's Word?

This is the only verse that even refers to clapping in reference to worship.

Psalm 47:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm for the sons of Korah. O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.

Are you clapping to the sensual beat of the music? That would be wrong. Are you clapping to the message? That is inappropriate, as a few others here expressed. If someone was blessed by a sermon I preached or something I shared in a service, I would rather hear them say Amen or Praise the Lord (something like that) - which is directed towards the Lord, than have them clap for me.

Or are you clapping to the Lord in the same way you would shout and give praise to Him? If it is not to Him, is it appropriate in a church service - Biblically I mean?

• Members
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

The NT refers to saying amen at the preaching, the giving of thanks - it nowhere states that we should clap. How about conducting our worship services according to God's Word?

This is the only verse that even refers to clapping in reference to worship.

Psalm 47:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm for the sons of Korah. O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.

Are you clapping to the sensual beat of the music? That would be wrong. Are you clapping to the message? That is inappropriate, as a few others here expressed. If someone was blessed by a sermon I preached or something I shared in a service, I would rather hear them say Amen or Praise the Lord (something like that) - which is directed towards the Lord, than have them clap for me.

Or are you clapping to the Lord in the same way you would shout and give praise to Him? If it is not to Him, is it appropriate in a church service - Biblically I mean?

Not all clapping to music is "sensual". Are you the Holy Spirit where you can try to impose standards that aren't even in the Bible on people and tell them how to worship? As you stated, it's YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCE! That's fine...act accordingly, but don't try to tell others how they should or shouldn't show affirmation when there's no definite scriptural basis imposed. As I stated before, it's up to every congregation to decide on how they want to give affirmation,, and nowhere does it say they shouldn't clap, nor does it say they should clap for a message, music or otherwise. 

• Members
6 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I believe this is happening more today then 25 years ago. New members bringing into the church thing they practice in their last church. I wouldn’t get upset at this.

• Administrators

Don't turn this into an attack. JUST DON'T. Tony, that is what your post was. Nowhere did Jerry say that ALL clapping to music is sensual. He asked a question. That's all. And he went on to ask other questions. There is nothing at all wrong with what he said in his post. Are you the Holy Spirit that you think you need to castigate him because he said something you don't 100% agree with? Remember: THIS IS A FORUM. WE DISCUSS. AND DISAGREE. But let's be a little less attacking to do so. And I don't need an argument from anyone about it. Just act like the adult Christians everyone claims to be.

E - new members ought NOT to be bringing in things "they practice in their last church." New members aren't supposed to join churches with the intent of changing said churches. And if they clapped at their old church but their new church doesn't...they need to stop clapping.

As to the individual congregations deciding...I would just insert here that all of the churches I know of - and I know of/have attended/was member of more than a few - that began clapping were led to it by their pastor. Sadly, I couldn't recommend those churches to people now. Do I think the clapping is at fault? Nah. I think it's the worldliness of the church leadership that started the downhill slide; clapping is just - IMO - a symptom.

Pastors are not performers. Singers are not performers. All that is done in church is to be done to the glory of the Lord. To clap after a song or a sermon (or when a preacher walks to the platform) may SEEM like it's to the Lord. But it isn't. It is, in fact, toward the human being. Because the audience (clapping creates an audience, not a congregation) was pleased with said performance.  If you're in a church that claps, that's completely your business. But when you visit us, don't clap. ?

What do you think it does to a person who sings a special and gets clapped for by the audience? You may think it doesn't do anything. But it does: it feeds their flesh, not their spirit. Thus helping to create religious narcissists, of which there are now many running around.

I'm not knocking churches that clap. I truly am not. But I don't believe it helps to truly put one's heart and mind on the Lord Jesus. That's my opinion. ? 

• Members
3 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

Don't turn this into an attack. JUST DON'T. Tony, that is what your post was. Nowhere did Jerry say that ALL clapping to music is sensual. He asked a question. That's all. And he went on to ask other questions. There is nothing at all wrong with what he said in his post. Are you the Holy Spirit that you think you need to castigate him because he said something you don't 100% agree with? Remember: THIS IS A FORUM. WE DISCUSS. AND DISAGREE. But let's be a little less attacking to do so. And I don't need an argument from anyone about it. Just act like the adult Christians everyone claims to be.

E - new members ought NOT to be bringing in things "they practice in their last church." New members aren't supposed to join churches with the intent of changing said churches. And if they clapped at their old church but their new church doesn't...they need to stop clapping.

As to the individual congregations deciding...I would just insert here that all of the churches I know of - and I know of/have attended/was member of more than a few - that began clapping were led to it by their pastor. Sadly, I couldn't recommend those churches to people now. Do I think the clapping is at fault? Nah. I think it's the worldliness of the church leadership that started the downhill slide; clapping is just - IMO - a symptom.

Pastors are not performers. Singers are not performers. All that is done in church is to be done to the glory of the Lord. To clap after a song or a sermon (or when a preacher walks to the platform) may SEEM like it's to the Lord. But it isn't. It is, in fact, toward the human being. Because the audience (clapping creates and audience, not a congregation) was pleased with said performance.  If you're in a church that claps, that's completely your business. But when you visit us, don't clap. ?

What do you think it does to a person who sings a special and gets clapped for by the audience? You may think it doesn't do anything. But it does: it feeds their flesh, not their spirit. Thus helping to create religious narcissists, of which there are now many running around.

I'm not knocking churches that clap. I truly am not. But I don't believe it helps to truly put one's heart and mind on the Lord Jesus. That's my opinion. ? 

Please reread his statement....Yes, he DOES ask a question after he that clapping is mentioned....Go futher where he states it's in appropriate. The Bible NOWHERE says it is....the sensual WAS mentioned and it is implied...His personal preferences were clearly stated....You've clearly taken his side in this, and that's fine. But, my being strong in my response to him IS NOT an attack, and if you believe it is, I believe your judgement is clouded towards me and in favor of Jerry, as was discussed by us earlier. I have nothing against Jerry, and you know very well that's the truth. He, though, seems to be able to strongly disagree with people and never suffer a word of reprimand. JMHO I'm NOT the only one who has noticed this.

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Please reread his statement....Yes, he DOES ask a question after he that clapping is mentioned....Go futher where he states it's in appropriate. The Bible NOWHERE says it is....the sensual WAS mentioned and it is implied...His personal preferences were clearly stated....You've clearly taken his side in this, and that's fine. But, my being strong in my response to him IS NOT an attack, and if you believe it is, I believe your judgement is clouded towards me and in favor of Jerry, as was discussed by us earlier. I have nothing against Jerry, and you know very well that's the truth. He, though, seems to be able to strongly disagree with people and never suffer a word of reprimand. JMHO I'm NOT the only one who has noticed this.

I read the whole thing, thank you. I do that often. I didn't say sensual wasn't mentioned, now did I? No. And, no, it wasn't implied that ALL clapping is to sensual music. That was simply how you chose to take it. Yes, his personal preferences were clearly stated, as were yours...but you added to it by trying to  imply he was demanding everyone accept what he says. You know, where you asked if he was the Holy Spirit? So what if he believes it's inappropriate to clap for preaching? Does that REALLY matter to you? Is it going to stop you from serving the Lord? Do you really think you have to right to basically tell someone they are trying to impose their beliefs on someone because they express their opinion?  And then you turn around and state your opinion and want everyone to accept your right to do so. Isn't that just a little double minded? (and, no, I'm not looking for a response)

You were not strong in your response, you were rude. There is a difference.  I find it interesting that you can be "strong" in your response, but Jerry's trying to be the Holy Spirit in his. And so then you attack me by implying I'm biased...it's hilarious that when someone is reproved about something they begin to say things like "you favor that one over me..." Nice. And, btw, I never said you had anything against Jerry. You are not privy to every conversation, so your assumption that it SEEMS that he gets away with stuff is simply that: an assumption. And if you know that you're not the "only one who has noticed this," that must mean you've discussed it with others...the Bible calls that gossip. You said JMHO, so maybe you don't "know" it. If it's simply an assumption, I apologize. But if you've discussed it with anyone, you're in the wrong.

I'm not on anyone's side. Accusing me of such/implying such is simply an attempt to deflect. Just stop. I could continue on, but I said I didn't want any argument about it. Did you read that part? Either you didn't or you chose to ignore it.