• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Easter Egg Hunt Begins

• Members

Does your church do Easter Eggs hunt on its property. If yes we do, how long has it been since they started this tradition. If no why not, we know that it’s not biblical. Why wouldn’t your church have this. We do trunk or treat give candy on October.

Just checking…

Happy Easter GIF

• Members
17 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Does your church do Easter Eggs hunt on its property. If yes we do, how long has it been since they started this tradition. If no why not, we know that it’s not biblical. Why wouldn’t your church have this. We do trunk or treat give candy on October.

Just checking…

Happy Easter GIF

A LOT of things done in churches these days are Scriptural...so???  Most of the churches I've grown up in for the past 60 years have had Easter Egg hunts. 

• Members
48 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

A LOT of things done in churches these days are Scriptural...so???  Most of the churches I've grown up in for the past 60 years have had Easter Egg hunts. 

Wow 60 years or more, I did not know it was that old. 

• Members

"Although eggs, in general, were a traditional symbol of fertility and rebirth,[2] in Christianity, for the celebration of Eastertide, Easter eggs symbolize the empty tomb of Jesus, from which Jesus was resurrected.[3][4][5] In addition, one ancient tradition was the staining of Easter eggs with the colour red "in memory of the blood of Christ, shed as at that time of his crucifixion."[3][6]

This custom of the Easter egg, according to many sources, can be traced to early Christians of Mesopotamia, and from there it spread into Eastern Europe and Siberia through the Orthodox Churches, and later into Europe through the Catholic and Protestant Churches.[6][7][8][9] Other sources maintain that the custom arose in western Europe during the Middle Ages as a result of the fact that Western Christians were prohibited from eating eggs during Lent, but were allowed to eat them when Easter arrived.[10][11]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg

• Members

John, did Constantine write that article?

Paganism to the max. Easter and all its activities and rituals - as well as Halloween - is paganism and idolatry. Any Christian participating in it - whether they rename aspects of it or not - are outright involved in evil, which the Bible forbids. It does not suddenly become acceptable because so many are doing it. God has NOT changed,  NOR has His Word.

Jeremiah 10:2-5 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Hm, Christmas trees (referred to by Jeremiah in the above passage) and easter eggs (exact same Bibical principles apply here!!!)! Seems the Lord God told us to LEARN NOT THE WAY OF THE HEATHEN!

Edited by Jerry

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SureWord said:

15 hours ago, John Young said:

"Although eggs, in general, were a traditional symbol of fertility and rebirth,[2] in Christianity, for the celebration of Eastertide, Easter eggs symbolize the empty tomb of Jesus, from which Jesus was resurrected.[3][4][5] In addition, one ancient tradition was the staining of Easter eggs with the colour red "in memory of the blood of Christ, shed as at that time of his crucifixion."[3][6]

We are commanded to observe His death, not His resurrection.

• Administrators

We don't do eggs. Why? Well, right now we don't have any kids. lol.  But even if we did, we wouldn't. Because bunnies don't lay eggs and we aren't going to give a mythical creature more credence than we do the living Savior on the day purported to be about celebrating HIs resurrection (which I know we aren't told to do...but as was mentioned, without the resurrection, Christ's death would not have the meaning that it does). 

• Members
1 hour ago, HappyChristian said:

We don't do eggs. Why? Well, right now we don't have any kids. lol.  But even if we did, we wouldn't. Because bunnies don't lay eggs and we aren't going to give a mythical creature more credence than we do the living Savior on the day purported to be about celebrating HIs resurrection (which I know we aren't told to do...but as was mentioned, without the resurrection, Christ's death would not have the meaning that it does). 

Thank you…. Back to my work out.  :  )rabbit GIF

• Members
7 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Good point. The Lord's Supper is about observing His death and shed blood for our sins.

The Easter eggs come straight out of Ashtoreth worship, Ashtar the fertility/moon goddess. Israel got in trouble when they mixed their worship of the true God with that of the pagan gods around them, especially that one. If it offended God for His people to participate in those pagan practices in OT times - and the Lord God has not changed - what do you think He would think about it today? Let's see how Elijah deals with this question.

Baal the Sun god and Ashtar the moon goddess (and her prophets referred to as the prophets of the groves - Asherah or Astarte) often go together - hm, sunrise services with fertility symbols - no, no connection at all today...

1 Kings 18:18-19 And he answered, I have not troubled Israel; but thou, and thy father's house, in that ye have forsaken the commandments of the LORD, and thou hast followed Baalim. Now therefore send, and gather to me all Israel unto mount Carmel, and the prophets of Baal four hundred and fifty, and the prophets of the groves four hundred, which eat at Jezebel's table.

1 Kings 18:21 And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.

The whole chapter is worth reading.

1 Kings 11:4-5 For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.

1 Kings 11:33 Because that they have forsaken me, and have worshipped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Milcom the god of the children of Ammon, and have not walked in my ways, to do that which is right in mine eyes, and to keep my statutes and my judgments, as did David his father.

2 Kings 23:13 And the high places that were before Jerusalem, which were on the right hand of the mount of corruption, which Solomon the king of Israel had builded for Ashtoreth the abomination of the Zidonians, and for Chemosh the abomination of the Moabites, and for Milcom the abomination of the children of Ammon, did the king defile.

1 Samuel 7:3-4 And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the LORD with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the LORD, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines. Then the children of Israel did put away Baalim and Ashtaroth, and served the LORD only.

1 Samuel 12:10 And they cried unto the LORD, and said, We have sinned, because we have forsaken the LORD, and have served Baalim and Ashtaroth: but now deliver us out of the hand of our enemies, and we will serve thee.

Does it still bother God today? You decide (and please base your conclusion on the Bible)...

Judges 2:12-14 And they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the LORD to anger. And they forsook the LORD, and served Baal and Ashtaroth. And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he delivered them into the hands of spoilers that spoiled them, and he sold them into the hands of their enemies round about, so that they could not any longer stand before their enemies.

Judges 10:6-7 And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim, and Ashtaroth, and the gods of Syria, and the gods of Zidon, and the gods of Moab, and the gods of the children of Ammon, and the gods of the Philistines, and forsook the LORD, and served not him. And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he sold them into the hands of the Philistines, and into the hands of the children of Ammon.

• Members
22 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I felt like something was missing (to me, in my thoughts on this) when I read this yesterday, but I just now realized what. No, we are not commanded to observe the Lord Jesus' resurrection as a specific day of the year - though certainly there is nothing wrong with observing Passover or some aspects of it as a memorial to what Christ has done; however, the fact that the NT church meets on Sunday is an observance every week of the resurrection of Christ.