• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do Baptist believe in the 10 Commandments

Go to solution Solved by BrotherTony,

• Members
3 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

The last time I PREACHED a series on the Ten Commandments was in August of 2006. The last time I taught a series on them was just last year. Fasting was late last year...Morales, do you preach or teach? When was the last time YOU taught on any of these? 

Thank you for sharing brother Tony,  regarding myself, I’m just a evangelist that teach salvation, the gospel. The gospel that teaches salvation in Jesus Christ, that he died in arose the third day victorious over death. That a person must realize that he or she is a sinner, we must repent of our evil ways and come to Christ or salvation. I am not a teacher.

• Members
29 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Thank you for sharing brother Tony,  regarding myself, I’m just a evangelist that teach salvation, the gospel. The gospel that teaches salvation in Jesus Christ, that he died in arose the third day victorious over death. That a person must realize that he or she is a sinner, we must repent of our evil ways and come to Christ or salvation. I am not a teacher.

You may be an evangelist, but, we ALL who are in Christ are teachers. We set examples for others....teaching in effect. Don't ever say "I'm just" anything. God gives all of us a job to do, and we should never belittle that job/position in him. You have my prayers as you give the Word of God. 

• Members
On 3/10/2022 at 8:59 PM, Jerry said:

Morales, I know it bothers me and others on these boards when you make broad statements, such as Baptists do this or that. There may be some, even many that do not preach on certain things, and there are certainly many others that do. My church preaches on the 10 commandments. I do not know if my current church has ever preached a whole message on tongues, but we believe tongues are earthly languages - like the front of any King James Bible states, translated out of the original tongues (ie. Hebrew/Aramaic and Greek). I have heard many references throughout the years against modern day tongues speaking, how those who practice it today do not believe they are earthly languages, nor do they follow the instructions on how to use other languages in church services today (again, we do not believe ANYONE today is being given the gift of tongues or any sign gifts). If a missionary who only speaks a foreign language wants to preach or sing a song in that foreign language it is not acceptable unless there is a translator so that the church will be edified through the understanding of what is being preached or sung, as 1 Corinthians 14 teaches.

Not sure, when you say sing a song in their language is not permitted without translation. The old rugged cross in any language doesn’t need translation. 

• Members

That is not what God's Word says:

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1 Corinthians 14:3-4 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

1 Corinthians 14:9-11 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

1 Corinthians 14:12-17 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

1 Corinthians 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

1 Corinthians 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

1 Corinthians 14:27-28 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

1 Corinthians 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

If there is no interpreter, God says those that are speaking foreign languages must keep silent in the church. This even includes singing according to verse 15. If no one understands it, it does not edify the church - and THAT IS THE WHOLE REASON God gave spiritual gifts to the church, so the church may be edified, built up in the faith and in the truth, strengthened to serve the Lord. An emotional song does not do that unless the church understands it too.

• Members

Our pastor preached on the Ten Commandments about a month ago.  I did read recently that many churches in the past had the ten commandments on the wall behind the pulpit, five on each side. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 3/9/2022 at 8:28 PM, Jerry said:

Many times - however, only nine of the Ten are restated in the NT. The Sabbath is fulfilled in Christ, as He is our rest; therefore that command does not apply to the church today.

There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

In speaking of this rest (3:18; 4:1, 3-6, ? the author consistently used the same word for "rest" (katapausis). Suddenly, in speaking about the "rest" that remains for the people of God, he uses a different word (sabbatismos, used only here in the NT) meaning specifically a Sabbath rest. In the context of his teaching, this refers fundamentally to the "Sabbath rest" which is found in Christ ("Come ... I will give you rest," Matt. 11:28-30). Thus we are to "strive to enter that rest" (4:11).

Sinclair Ferguson

• 6 months later...
  • Members
On 5/12/2022 at 10:41 PM, Iconoclast said:

There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

Or as “The Holy Bible from the Ancient Eastern Text” has it:  “It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath.” 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 11/23/2022 at 5:26 PM, rstrats said:

Or as “The Holy Bible from the Ancient Eastern Text” has it:  “It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath.” 

Please do not correct God's Word (ie. the KJV in English, the Textus Receptus in Greek) with modern versions or other versions that change the text.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Please do not correct God's Word (ie. the KJV in English, the Textus Receptus in Greek) with modern versions or other versions that change the text.

Sorry, I didn't realize that the KJV was the only translation that was to be used on this site. 

• Moderators

I'm not intending to beat a dead horse, but am unsure whether rstrats is being serious or sarcastic with his above statement. If it's serious, I apologize for misconstruing your comment. 

The KJV is indeed the only translation to be used on this site, as per the posted rules.