• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

John 11:54 did Jesus stop his public ministry at this time?

• Members

No, I would say His public ministry ended about six days later...

John 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.

When He hung upon the cross for our sins - but I really don't think that was what that preacher meant. ?

People were trying to kill Jesus at various times throughout His 3 1/2 years ministry, not just at the Passover - though it was at the Passover that Jesus willingly submitted Himself to death so that He could shed His blood, bear the wrath for our sins, and taste death for every man (as well as release the saved captives in Abraham's Bosom shortly thereafter).

• Members
3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

No, I would say His public ministry ended about six days later...

John 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.

When He hung upon the cross for our sins - but I really don't think that was what that preacher meant. ?

People were trying to kill Jesus at various times throughout His 3 1/2 years ministry, not just at the Passover - though it was at the Passover that Jesus willingly submitted Himself to death so that He could shed His blood, bear the wrath for our sins, and taste death for every man (as well as release the saved captives in Abraham's Bosom shortly thereafter).

I would add that... He didn't go as he had in the past, through cities and villages, teaching, preaching, and performing miracle healing. Also, as you suggest... "And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man." ~ John 2:25

• Members

I don't know...I would say if he wasn't acting publically, it would show that he possibly ended his public ministry at that time...at least on an open, active basis. Did he heal anyone during that last week? Did do any miracles? I believe there are verses that say he went into Jerusalem and taught in the synagogue, aren't there...so that might be counted as public ministry. It could be seen either way.

• Members
5 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I heard a preacher the other day speaking about Jesus public ministry and how he ended it at this time because of the Jews wish to kill him. Did Jesus and his public ministry at this time?

I would say it ended around that time, though, the term "Jews" may be referring to the Pharisees so he was done rebuking the Pharisees and doing miracles in front of them.

I would say it was definitely over Matthew 23:39

"For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord."

Notice, after that the disciples came to him privately for their questions (Matthew 24:3).

• Members

Sorry, I missed the verse in the title of this thread when I read the opening thread (when I clicked on the title I was thinking "John 11:54" was the name of the poster because the verse was not actually quoted or referred to in the first post - sorry). Yes, it looks like His ministry was to His disciples after that point in time.

• Members
21 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Sorry, I missed the verse in the title of this thread when I read the opening thread (when I clicked on the title I was thinking "John 11:54" was the name of the poster because the verse was not actually quoted or referred to in the first post - sorry). Yes, it looks like His ministry was to His disciples after that point in time.

Part of Christ's public ministry included the events from the Gethsemane to the ascension. I believe his freely giving up to the priest's mob, humiliation before the chief priests, appearance before Pilate, then before the mob, and procession through the streets, not to mention His crucifixion was still part of His public ministry.

• Members
21 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Part of Christ's public ministry included the events from the Gethsemane to the ascension. I believe his freely giving up to the priest's mob, humiliation before the chief priests, appearance before Pilate, then before the mob, and procession through the streets, not to mention His crucifixion was still part of His public ministry.

Was the crucifixion part of his public ministry? He was crucified publically but the purpose of his crucifixion was hidden to everyone but those who believed and even then it wasn't until after Christ's resurrection they understood. 

Edited by SureWord

• Members
On 2/25/2022 at 8:54 PM, 1Timothy115 said:

On 2/26/2022 at 6:37 PM, SureWord said:

Was the crucifixion part of his public ministry? He was crucified publically but the purpose of his crucifixion was hidden to everyone but those who believed and even then it wasn't until after Christ's resurrection they understood. 

Yes, it was a very important part of His public ministry even if all of us sinners couldn't comprehend it. It allowed saints (Stephen Acts 7:52, John 19, Paul Corinthians, Galations, Philipians) to testify against the Jewish religiosity and against everyone of the Gentiles who would reject this public execution of Jesus Christ, Lord of Glory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 2/25/2022 at 7:54 PM, 1Timothy115 said:

I don't believe this was a part of Christ's  public ministry.  I believe it was his obedience to the plan of the Father. It really was conducted before more of the religious establishment  and didn't really involve the public at large with the exception of the Jews being offered his or another prisoners release. 

• Members
1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

I don't believe this was a part of Christ's  public ministry.  I believe it was his obedience to the plan of the Father. It really was conducted before more of the religious establishment  and didn't really involve the public at large with the exception of the Jews being offered his or another prisoners release. 

Totally up to you. But even basing it on the dictionary definition, Christ was publicly displayed and many scoffers were there and even a Roman soldier was compelled to testify, "Truly this was the Son of God." Matthew 27:54.

• Members
1 hour ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Totally up to you. But even basing it on the dictionary definition, Christ was publicly displayed and many scoffers were there and even a Roman soldier was compelled to testify, "Truly this was the Son of God." Matthew 27:54.

Personally, I believe that the things you are mentioning are the part of his ministry, yes  but, though carried out in the public view, he wasn't specifically ministering to the public, except in the sense of becming God's sacrifice.  If I'm not mistaken, Brother, even the demons called him the Son of God, and the Son of the most high! 

• Members
9 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Personally, I believe that the things you are mentioning are the part of his ministry, yes  but, though carried out in the public view, he wasn't specifically ministering to the public, except in the sense of becming God's sacrifice.  If I'm not mistaken, Brother, even the demons called him the Son of God, and the Son of the most high! 

One very special reason Christ came was to go to the cross and bear our sins. Not ours only but the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Crucifixion was a very public means of execution, horribly agonizing, and meant to discourage others from the actions which sent them to the cross. The Jews and to some degree the Romans wanted to be rid of this disruption (Jesus Christ) to their "normal" everyday lives. The Jewish leaders hated Christ. Christ allowing His crucifixion was a public testimony against the Jews and the leaders of this world. It was very much a part of Christ's public ministry.