• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Chosen

• Members
On 1/19/2023 at 2:56 PM, 1Timothy115 said:

I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree with that perspective. I even have a scripture that speaks to your experience and reasoning, you're probably as aware of as I am. Philippians 1:18 "What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice."

Yes, but when it is a false Jesus, the truth about Christ is not being preached. Preaching A Jesus is not enough, and Paul and the other NT writers warned various times about that.

2 Corinthians 11:3-4 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

1 John 4:1-3 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

If someone is not preaching that Jesus is God manifest in the flesh (like the Mormons, who believe Jesus is a man who became a god), then they are not of God and are warned against.

• Members
On 1/22/2023 at 10:51 PM, Jerry said:

Yes, but when it is a false Jesus, the truth about Christ is not being preached. Preaching A Jesus is not enough, and Paul and the other NT writers warned various times about that.

2 Corinthians 11:3-4 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

1 John 4:1-3 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

If someone is not preaching that Jesus is God manifest in the flesh (like the Mormons, who believe Jesus is a man who became a god), then they are not of God and are warned against.

I am persuaded by the scriptures you mention and the scripture I have mentioned support that the errors of the 'Chosen' don't give rise to a non-Biblical Christ. Yes, they have embellished the story of Christ's life but I've seen no attack on Christ's deity. I've not heard this program denies the birth-death-resurrection Gospel of Jesus Christ. Neither have I heard that there is rejection that Jesus the Christ "is come in the flesh." The episodes I watched taught a Christ of miracles only very God could perform. I would further say, I've not heard of revival as a result. If the 'Chosen' does further the Gospel, like Paul, "I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice." I don't see my reasoning as reprehensible toward my Savior or His Word.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:51 PM, Jerry said:

Philippians 1:18 "What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice."

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Interesting that some of you are criticizing the Chosen and haven't even seen it. I can tell you without reservation that is the finest film about the life of Jesus I have ever seen. You must see the introductions and interviews with Dallas Jenkins the director/producer so you can understand the approach he took to make this film. He will tell you that the scriptures are the scriptures and this film cannot replace them and that the events in the film are true to the bible. Although the back stories take some artistic leeway they are plausible based on historical fact. Don't condemn this production until you see it. View it with an open mind. It is changing hearts and minds all over the world. Name one other event in recent memory that has had that impact on Christians and non-Christians. Also it is completely free to watch.

• Members
5 hours ago, Charles said:

Interesting that some of you are criticizing the Chosen and haven't even seen it. I can tell you without reservation that is the finest film about the life of Jesus I have ever seen. You must see the introductions and interviews with Dallas Jenkins the director/producer so you can understand the approach he took to make this film. He will tell you that the scriptures are the scriptures and this film cannot replace them and that the events in the film are true to the bible. Although the back stories take some artistic leeway they are plausible based on historical fact. Don't condemn this production until you see it. View it with an open mind. It is changing hearts and minds all over the world. Name one other event in recent memory that has had that impact on Christians and non-Christians. Also it is completely free to watch.

Sorry, but many of us here HAVE watched it and find many of the "backstories" to add far too much in the way of artistic license. If we don't guard our minds, error can and does often creep in. At any rate, welcome to OnlineBaptist.com...you might want to go into the section where you can introduce yourself and tell us a little bit more of who you are, what church you go to, and what you're doing for the Lord, and what HE'S doing in you. Have a great Monday. ?

• Members

If nothing else, it is an ecumenical effort, put together by Dallas Jenkins and his Mormon friends to unite their two "faiths" together, which he has stated he sees no difference between AND that they believe in the same Jesus. Anyone who knows their Bibles and who knows what that cult teaches knows that it is a false Jesus. This tells me either Jenkins is completely unsaved OR has no discernment whatsoever and has believed the lie of the Devil that a jesus that was just a man, the son of Adam God and brother to Lucifer, and who later achieved godhood, in the same as the Biblical Jesus.

• Members
8 hours ago, Jerry said:

If nothing else, it is an ecumenical effort, put together by Dallas Jenkins and his Mormon friends to unite their two "faiths" together, which he has stated he sees no difference between AND that they believe in the same Jesus. Anyone who knows their Bibles and who knows what that cult teaches knows that it is a false Jesus. This tells me either Jenkins is completely unsaved OR has no discernment whatsoever and has believed the lie of the Devil that a jesus that was just a man, the son of Adam God and brother to Lucifer, and who later achieved godhood, in the same as the Biblical Jesus.

I don't know that he believes that Jesus was "just a man." He's been pretty clear on some venues that he believes Jesus was the Son of God, the only begotten of the Father. Yet, his discernment on the whole issue seems to be questionable. It could be that he's just saying that to soothe over the issue and to continue to be successful in this venture. I notice that Kirk Cameron seems to have swallowed the Mormon Kool-Aid as well. UGH!

• Members
13 hours ago, Jerry said:

If that's true that he said the LDS faith and Jesus is the same - then he is stepping out of line with what is biblical.

If he is a true bible believing Christian there is no scripture that can validate his belief.  The LDS acceptance of the movie is very believable. Unlike JWs - LDS have no problem with things like listening to modern evangelical music. To their ears the music is about their "Jesus" too so I have no doubt they approve of The Chosen.

Jenkins seems to be using representatives from the Messianic Jews and the Catholic church as advisors to the show. Which is deeply troubling for me and so I definitely agree it's becoming an ecumenical endeavor.

I'm just not certain how much the LDS influence is when it comes to the theological issue. Even the line " I am the Law of Moses"  that everyone believed to be from the Book of Mormon isn't. The full verse of that BoM quote is -

"Behold, I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life." - 3 Nephi 15:9

All I know for sure is that because of COVID they couldn't film in Israel so they used the Utah desert areas instead. Along with that the LDS allowed them to use costumes and scene sets that they had recently built for a Book Of Mormon movie.

• Members
Just now, Brother Stafford said:

There does appear to be an enormous amount of people who seem to be taking the position of, "Hey, we should be happy that there's at least an attempt to focus on Jesus and the Gospels.  At least people are talking about Him.  So what if it includes a bunch of 'artistic license' or unbiblical additions.  Beggars can't be choosers."

If you ask me, that attitude comes from a lack of understanding of who God is and how serious sin is; turning Christ's sacrifice into, merely, a sweet gesture.  It's as if people are treating God like a dog and expecting Him to be content with eating the scraps from our tables.

I was watching our church's broadcast from yesterday since my wife and I weren't able to be there, and we learned that on Wednesday evenings, our church is going to be showing "The Chosen" and discussing it. I have to say that I'm thoroughly disappointed with this decision. I don't think showing this is going to accomplish anything but taking our congregation further to the left, no matter whether our pastors intentions are good or not. 

• Members

If an ecumanical Jesus, who is only a man - or a man becoming a god - is good enough for them, what kind of false Jesus do they warn against or are unwilling to accept? The Bible tells us to be aware of and expose false doctrine, false gospels and presentations of a false god or a false jesus - yet many want us to embrace this one (or similar ones). NO WONDER THE MODERN CHURCH IS MOSTLY APOSTATE AND IN SUCH A MESS TODAY!! And people get upset that Jesus identifies this age as Laodicea.

Edited by Jerry