• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Chosen

• Members

I enjoyed watching the show as a hypothetical thing,  but get more troubled now by the background of it. 

I like the way they portray the miracles Jesus did. And the acting and cinema photography is good.  

But I didn't like the way Jesus seemed to be 'becoming God' rather than fully God off the bat.

I'm watching the lumo series gospel films.. those seem to be the most accurate Jesus films so far.

Baptism is by immersion.  Jesus is portrayed as God from the start. You can see it with KJV narration word for word.  

Similar to the chosen.. the actors look Jewish.. Greek.. Roman etc.

• Members
12 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

In the beginning of episode 5, During a flashback scene, Joseph tells Jesus that his going to the temple without telling them, causing them to have to look for him, was a transgression and makes him promise to never do it again.  Joseph asks Jesus, "What are you going to do for your mother for this transgression?"  It was said in passing and, perhaps, partly in jest, but that line was intentionally written.  It may be a minor line, but it accuses Jesus of having sinned.   

Later in the episode, Christ and some of the disciples are walking to the wedding in Cana and Jesus says, "The most important and powerful person I know will be there: My mother."   In that same scene, Jesus describes himself as a "clumsy teenager who cracked my head open" at a childhood party.

Mary is helping to decorate for the wedding and she says, "We had a wedding, it just wasn't like everyone else's"  When asked, "Why not?" Mary responds by saying, "You know why," and pantomimes a pregnant belly.  The other woman says, "I would have gone."  This is all implying that Mary and Joseph had a shotgun wedding and that they were ostracized and shamed.

The woman goes on to ask Mary about how Jesus is doing, since she hasn't seen him in a long time.  She says, "I bet he's handsome... I bet he is." And Mary seems to confirm it.  (The actor chosen to portray him has quite the female fanbase because of his handsome appearance.)
However, (Isaiah 53:2) "For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him." 

They perpetuate the fallacy that Jesus made alcoholic wine at the wedding.
They show Jesus fooling children with the deceptive, slight-of-hand trick of cups and balls (like today's three card monty).  This sows the seed that Jesus used tricks and illusions in his ministry. 

There are very involved story lines that have no connection to scripture, whatsoever.  They are just fanciful speculation.  It all serves to dilute the truth of God's Word and inject doubt and uncertainty and a carelessness about His Word.

(By the way, I am intentionally not capitalizing the pronouns in reference to the Jesus character in the show.)

Yeah.. this is why now I'm not so keen to see the next season. 

It was subtly making Jesus out to be not yet God and also made him out to be unsure of some things. 

• Administrators

There is a lot to be said about being careful about what you expose yourself to. Too much confidence in our own abilities, strengths and knowledge can be a trap.

2 Peter 3:17 (KJV) Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 11/28/2022 at 8:13 PM, Brother Stafford said:

They show Jesus fooling children with the deceptive, slight-of-hand trick of cups and balls (like today's three card monty).  This sows the seed that Jesus used tricks and illusions in his ministry. 

There are very involved story lines that have no connection to scripture, whatsoever.  They are just fanciful speculation.  It all serves to dilute the truth of God's Word and inject doubt and uncertainty and a carelessness about His Word.

1. The book of Daniel says in several places that the Antichrist will come into power through craft, deception, trickery.

2. The forerunner for this show, Dallas Jenkins, admits that 85% of the show is created by the writers and is not based on the Bible.

• Members

I can't believe this can is still being kicked around. 

I won't accuse any Christian who watches the Chosen. There is liberty given to believers in Christ. I personally will not make effort to see it. If I were in a home where others were watching the Chosen, I wouldn't tell them to turn it off or I would have to leave.

• Members

No one is knocking other believers for watching it - BUT it is an act of love according to God to warn other believers of things that are sinful or that will harm them. It is not "liberty in Christ" to let false teachings or sinful/harmful things to go unchallenged - in fact, it is cowardice and sinful to do so.

Leviticus 19:17-18 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

The Bible teaches to expose and separate from false teachings - which means standing against them. You cannot do so and remain silent when it is there or in the lives of those around you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 12/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, 1Timothy115 said:

If I were in a home where others were watching the Chosen, I wouldn't tell them to turn it off or I would have to leave.

I agree. It is their home. If something they watched in their own home bothered me, I would leave. If given an opportunity, I would attempt to talk about spiritually dangerous programs with them though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I hope that at the very least it would help a non Christian become interested in the Bible so they can search it out for themselves.

I remember when The Passion of Christ movie came out and how popular it became.

The movie was obviously heavily influenced by Catholic tradition but I think the controversy of it sparked the interest of people who were in spiritual darkness.

I had two tickets I bought from the church I was attending at the time but was having trouble finding someone to go with me. Surprisingly my non religious Uncle said he'd go with me.

What I remember most was the reaction of everyone during the flogging and crucifixion scenes. I seen people jump as if they had been hit themselves and even turn their faces away from the screen.

I certainly wouldn't recommend the Passion as a evangelism tool but I also have no doubt that after seeing it - some of them had to be drawn mentally to asking why Jesus was so hated, despised, and murdered.

I only pray that The Chosen can at the very least be the start of a search for salvation  for some 

• Members
3 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

I hope that at the very least it would help a non Christian become interested in the Bible so they can search it out for themselves.

I remember when The Passion of Christ movie came out and how popular it became.

The movie was obviously heavily influenced by Catholic tradition but I think the controversy of it sparked the interest of people who were in spiritual darkness.

I had two tickets I bought from the church I was attending at the time but was having trouble finding someone to go with me. Surprisingly my non religious Uncle said he'd go with me.

What I remember most was the reaction of everyone during the flogging and crucifixion scenes. I seen people jump as if they had been hit themselves and even turn their faces away from the screen.

I certainly wouldn't recommend the Passion as a evangelism tool but I also have no doubt that after seeing it - some of them had to be drawn mentally to asking why Jesus was so hated, despised, and murdered.

I only pray that The Chosen can at the very least be the start of a search for salvation  for some 

I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree with that perspective. I even have a scripture that speaks to your experience and reasoning, you're probably as aware of as I am. Philippians 1:18 "What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice."

• Members
17 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

The same could be said about The Last Temptation of Christ or the Lucifer television series.  “Yeah, they include false teachings, but, at least, they get people thinking and talking about Jesus.”

Shows and films like these are how more false teachings become widely held unbiblical beliefs.  God does not need to use lies, mixed with truth, to get people interested in Him.  Paul warned people to stay away from such people.

I respect your opinion brother. As with everyone on here who have been active for a long time I appreciate your knowledge and posts even if I don't completely agree with every post.

I make an effort to think through anything I post in an effort to avoid offending or being disrespectful even when I disagree. 

So if I have ever offend or have offended anyone on here...I sincerely apologize.

As for this topic - I trust your evaluation of the The Last Temptation movie to be accurate. I was still very young when that movie came out and other than knowing of the movie I don't have an opinion on it one way or the other.

I personally believe that anytime there is some biblical truth in film or book there is a potential for someone to be influenced to look deeper for the truth.

From my experience very few new Christians have even read 1/3 of the New Testament let alone the entirety of Scripture. It took me years of studying to get an understanding of the theological context of Gods plan.

My personal journey began with conversations with a Muslim. Even though he was attempting to convert to a false religion his attempt set me out on a search to find who God was and what "religion" truly reflected his will.

I believe that one of the reasons the LDS Church gains so many converts is because people pick up on Biblical truth that Joseph Smith stole and plagiarized in the Book of Mormon. 

I am aware of many LDS, JWs, and Muslims who eventually looked deeper into the true Jesus and became believers after being exposed to a distorted view or interpretation of his teaching.

Having said that I completely agree that any distortion of Biblical truth should be avoided and condemned. 

I don't believe God approves of or uses falsehood to "attract' unbelievers but at the same time I do believe some people can start a search for the true Gospel if they are exposed to an accurate Bible verse in any situation. 

Edited by Disciple.Luke