• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Chosen

• Members
34 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

I suppose what gives me the most concern is that thousands of people who aren't willing to spend anytime reading their own Bibles will watch it and assume the show is equivalent to what the inspired texts says.

Yes, even if this show never directly presents false teachings about Jesus, there is still the possibility that people will presume that what is presented is Biblical fact/truth.

36 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

The director is Dallas Jenkins. The son of Jerry Jenkins who wrote the Left Behind with Tim LaHaye.

I wondered if he was related. It seems like he is following in the ecumenical footsteps of his father (who portrayed the Pope as saved in that series), AND taking it further by yoking up with Mormons and other groups.

• Members
On 3/3/2022 at 10:47 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

I suppose what gives me the most concern is that thousands of people who aren't willing to spend anytime reading their own Bibles will watch it and assume the show is equivalent to what the inspired texts says.

The part I saw that bothered me the most was the Lord of Glory needing to consult someone else about the contents and delivery of His message to the people 'Sermon on the Mount'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This was worth watching. They corrected the KJV once, which I obviously disagree with, but other than that it is informative. https://subspla.sh/4588xmz

You can also view it in the Berean Call app, under Movie Night for Feb 14/2022, called The Chosen Exposed.

They have a Youtube channel called The [counterfeit] Chosen - https://youtube.com/channel/UCCJwefE1ZTItp5me_KBBXLQ

• Members
10 hours ago, Jerry said:

This was worth watching. They corrected the KJV once, which I obviously disagree with, but other than that it is informative. https://subspla.sh/4588xmz

You can also view it in the Berean Call app, under Movie Night for Feb 14/2022, called The Chosen Exposed.

They have a Youtube channel called The [counterfeit] Chosen - https://youtube.com/channel/UCCJwefE1ZTItp5me_KBBXLQ

Thanks Jerry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 3/4/2022 at 4:47 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

It is independent in the sense that the entire production has been funded by individual donors as opposed to some Hollywood film company fronting the money. They say it has been the largest film of it's kind paid for in that way.

The director is Dallas Jenkins. The son of Jerry Jenkins who wrote the Left Behind with Tim LaHaye.

I just recently watched the first two seasons. At least thus far I haven't felt like the character portrayed is necessarily dishonoring our Lord, but the film does take some liberties adding context to the scripture. Like mentioned earlier in the thread they very purposely made Mary Magdalene a central part of the film from the first episode. I get the feeling that they are purposely making her almost the woman equivalent of Peter among the disciples and followers.

The Mary Magdalene character becomes concerning when you consider that in the end credits they put a HUGE thank you to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) for providing the costumes and scene props. While the director may not be purposely adding LDS beliefs about Jesus to the story it does cause me some pause knowing that more than a few LDS leaders have claimed Mary Magdalene was a plural wife of Jesus.

Yeah I've seen both seasons and it's high quality with good acting and use of actors who mostly look and sound (except the Romans) like people from the time.

When taken as 'what it might have been' look, rather than.. 'this is what went on truly ' it comes across as a well made series that is clean and doesn't dishonor Christ and helps give background to the disciples and other characters. 

But I think it gets a bit close to making Jesus possibly sin.. like Jesus saying He doesn't know where some one has gone or being unsure of himself.

I enjoy watching it as something you dont take as the truth but as a what might have been

• Members

Oh yeah.. the one part so far the didnt look like proper inspiration for the bible writers is the way they wrote their accounts of their walks with Jesus.  Matthew writing his gospel didnt look like he was being 'borne along by the Holy Spirit' but just writing out of his own experience what he saw.

But in regards to Matthew.. he is attracted to Mary Magdalene and is portrayed as aspergers like.

• Members
1 hour ago, 360watt said:

Yeah I've seen both seasons and it's high quality with good acting and use of actors who mostly look and sound (except the Romans) like people from the time.

When taken as 'what it might have been' look, rather than.. 'this is what went on truly ' it comes across as a well made series that is clean and doesn't dishonor Christ and helps give background to the disciples and other characters. 

But I think it gets a bit close to making Jesus possibly sin.. like Jesus saying He doesn't know where some one has gone or being unsure of himself.

I enjoy watching it as something you dont take as the truth but as a what might have been

Yeah I like the series too. I really enjoyed how it made me see the disciples and other characters as individual personalities. I have always had a picture in my head of the disciples all being men with extraordinary faith and ability to rise above doubt and sin easier than most most modern Christians and losing sight of the fact that they were just normal guys like you and I. 

I don't really care for the actor who plays Nicodemus because I have seen him portray characters in several movies that are anything but "Christian", but it really started to make me realize just how dangerous it was for a man like him to question his beliefs or even speak to Jesus about what he had been preaching. As such a highly regarded Rabbi he would have definitely had some reservations about showing any kind of interest or inclination that Jesus may have had a deeper understanding of Scripture than the Pharisees themselves. 

Having said that I also understand that it could be borderline dangerous to attempt to focus too much on specific personalities instead of the Words of Scripture. Keeping that in mind I am able to enjoy the series without allowing the acting to overshadow the importance of the Scriptures and it's message, but I am concerned that some people might see the performance as being a substitute for personal Bible reading and Study.

• Members

This was noteworthy when I watched the producers talking about this: Dallas Jenkins said there was not much in modern media that gave a good descriptive image of Jesus, and one of the reasons they produced the show was to give people an image or picture of Jesus they could have in their mind when praying and reading the Bible.

And on top of that, Jenkins and others are selling pictures and paintings of Jesus - INCLUDING pictures of the actor who played Jesus.

No matter how you feel about movie and tv portrayals of Jesus in that story format - SELLING images of Jesus (whether paintings, portraits of the actor playing Jesus, etc.) for you to buy and keep in your home would definitely qualify as the promotion of idolatry. That is not Jesus in any shape or form whatsoever - it is a man-made image. To think about that, to focus on it while praying, reading the Bible, and "worshipping" God is exactly what the Bible forbids AND condemns. No one knows what Jesus looked like physically as the Bible never gives a physical description, and to identify the real Jesus with an artistic representation is wrong. As Paul said:

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

• Members
34 minutes ago, Jerry said:

This was noteworthy when I watched the producers talking about this: Dallas Jenkins said there was not much in modern media that gave a good descriptive image of Jesus, and one of the reasons they produced the show was to give people an image or picture of Jesus they could have in their mind when praying and reading the Bible.

And on top of that, Jenkins and others are selling pictures and paintings of Jesus - INCLUDING pictures of the actor who played Jesus.

No matter how you feel about movie and tv portrayals of Jesus in that story format - SELLING images of Jesus (whether paintings, portraits of the actor playing Jesus, etc.) for you to buy and keep in your home would definitely qualify as the promotion of idolatry. That is not Jesus in any shape or form whatsoever - it is a man-made image. To think about that, to focus on it while praying, reading the Bible, and "worshipping" God is exactly what the Bible forbids AND condemns. No one knows what Jesus looked like physically as the Bible never gives a physical description, and to identify the real Jesus with an artistic representation is wrong. As Paul said:

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

I haven't heard that about the pictures but if that's the case then the director is taking it too far. That's disappointing to know that the director is willing to completely discredit the integrity of the project to sell photos. Not much from so called "Christians" surprises me anymore after Ravi Zacharias completely ruined any type of discernment I thought I had when it to seeing through the fakes.

• Members
18 hours ago, Jerry said:

Not only that but portraying Jesus Christ as getting suggestions for His (very God's) message to mankind is just pure blasphemy. I tried to watch it but, I do not want the image of sinful man as my thought of God, the Creator, and my Savior.

There is one scripture which troubles me over presentations which might be contentious... 
Philippians 1:18   What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

Edited by 1Timothy115
Philippians 1:18

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Of course, this has no bearing on anything negative to do with the show (ha, ha, sarcasm for the win!!):

The character of Jesus just quoted the book of Mormon in the trailer for season three of the show - "I am the law of Moses."

Mormon influence, ecumenical work uniting false Christs (what is the plural of Jesus) together, something to be avoided if you care about truth? Naw, that would just be legalistic and judgemental and unloving and... Oh, no one is still reading this thread...

• Members
9 hours ago, Jerry said:

Of course, this has no bearing on anything negative to do with the show (ha, ha, sarcasm for the win!!):

The character of Jesus just quoted the book of Mormon in the trailer for season three of the show - "I am the law of Moses."

Mormon influence, ecumenical work uniting false Christs (what is the plural of Jesus) together, something to be avoided if you care about truth? Naw, that would just be legalistic and judgemental and unloving and... Oh, no one is still reading this thread...

Yes, the Mormon influence is clear, and was even admitted in the program that Kirk Cameron has. It's truly a shame that he is linking up the Mormon's here, calling them "Brothers." Their religion IS NOT and NEVER WILL BE Christian. 

• Members
10 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Yes, the Mormon influence is clear, and was even admitted in the program that Kirk Cameron has. It's truly a shame that he is linking up the Mormon's here, calling them "Brothers." Their religion IS NOT and NEVER WILL BE Christian. 

Acceptance of false gospels seems commonly agreed upon in non fundamental Christian thinking. It's not that far of a stretch considering those same Christians most likely see Joel Osteen as someone to be admired so when he refuses to call LDS non Christians on Larry King live it leaves an impression on them. Honestly I don't see much difference between LDS beliefs and the Televangelists who refer to humans as "little God's" and emphasize the  same tithing schemes.

• Members
21 hours ago, Jerry said:

I've been hearing that season 3 is coming soon. Well, I may have to watch some of it and save my critiques for later.

• 5 weeks later...