• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Remarriage

• Members

I'd like to get some biblical advice.

I have been through divorce,  with my wife having left me, and I got her to do the divorce from her end without me in acting it. 

I'd like to know whether I'd be free to find and marry someone else. 

From looking at the bible,  I'd heard that I'd have to wait till she committed adultery or remarried before I could. 

Yea so I'm a bit confused about it. 

Your thoughts?

• Members

Is your ex a Christian? Did she have any justification for leaving? If she was/is an unbeliever, you're under no obligation to wait to remarry. If you were part of the problem in her wanting a divorce or obtaining one, then you need to try for a reconciliation. If she's not inclined to remarry, you might be in for a long wait to remarry. Still, once a divorce has occured, I don't believe you're under any obligation to wait to remarry.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 2/13/2022 at 2:40 AM, BrotherTony said:

Is your ex a Christian? Did she have any justification for leaving? If she was/is an unbeliever, you're under no obligation to wait to remarry. If you were part of the problem in her wanting a divorce or obtaining one, then you need to try for a reconciliation. If she's not inclined to remarry, you might be in for a long wait to remarry. Still, once a divorce has occured, I don't believe you're under any obligation to wait to remarry.

Yeah, I tried for reconciliation, but she didn't want a bar of it.  I was part of the problem in being a bit aloof and struggling to change my living habits from being single for a long time.

She claims to be christian, but she did have things that make me now wonder if she was saved.  During the time I was looking at her through rose coloured spectacles and it is in my nature not to 'rock the boat'.. being a peace loving and compliant person.  I thought she was saved because of some things she believed about Jesus.  She did though find it hard to understand and read scripture, had different partners before me and was an alcoholic.

But yeah.. I'm on the same line of thinking of having to wait for her to remarry or sleep with another before I could pursue anyone.  

Thing though is.. in today's world.. maybe it is better I don't. I can't imagine being able to raise kids well in this society as it is today.

• Members

The best passage to look at is 1 Corinthians 7. And no, the Bible does not say you are automatically free to remarry. The verse posted above does not apply in this issue. The Bible teaches that you cannot remarry until your spouse dies or you are guilty of committing adultery.

Edited by Jerry

• Members

1Ti 4:2  Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

1Ti 4:3  Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

1Ti 4:4  For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

1Ti 4:5  For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer

• Members

Context. This is talking about false teachers who reject the truth and those in the end times who have itching ears. All the New Testament is for believers. 1 Corinthians 7 is the primary NT passage dealing with marriage and remarriage (and forbidding to marry is not dealing with remarriage, but marriage in the first place). 

God's Word does not contradict itself. If you have a conflict between your views and the Bible, the Bible is right. We also need to rightly divide the Word of God and put all passages dealing with the same principle or doctrine side by side and see how they fit together - see if any of it is fulfilled or done away with in the NT - though in this case you are dealing with two NT passages, therefore one is not done away with. Context is essential.

• Members
23 hours ago, Hugh_Flower said:

1Ti 4:3  Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

I would also add that I believe the primary application of this verse today is to cults and false religions, such as Catholicism and Seventh Day Adventists that teach you can't marry (for the priests and nuns) and that we are not to eat meats or certain meats.