• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Bible College important?

• Members

I think going to college, in our day and age, is important. Whether or not its Bible college is up to the student and God to figure out.

Its almost impossible to get a decent job without a college education nowadays (esp men) unless you somehow grow up in a trade like construction or something.

• Members

YES!!!!!
I today's world you almost have to have to have a college degree to get a good career. There are of course exceptions. Plus college is important in learning about life and yourself that you will never learn living at home. And of course, college is a bunch of fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't think Bible college should be stressed as an essential requirement to serve the Lord or preach, although surely many good things are learned there and many people are helped in serving the Lord. The wrong college will also lead a poor child of God very astray, so one must be very careful. I see it as something for certain people and not for others.

True, to provide for a family, high school is no longer enough, but Bible college shouldn't be about providing for a family.

• Members
I don't think Bible college should be stressed as an essential requirement to serve the Lord or preach, although surely many good things are learned there and many people are helped in serving the Lord. The wrong college will also lead a poor child of God very astray, so one must be very careful. I see it as something for certain people and not for others.

True, to provide for a family, high school is no longer enough, but Bible college shouldn't be about providing for a family.

:amen::amen::amen: :goodpost:

• 7 months later...
  • Members

If you would have asked me this a 9 months ago I would have said yes. Then I got there and felt God telling me I was supposed to be home. I plan to take correspondence but have not yet. I now hold a office at church, am working on starting our soulwinning ministry back up, and starting a young adults sunday school teacher. So going to college is not necessarily of utmost importance.

• Members

There are two questions that have been raised in the discussion:
1. Should I go to college
2. Should that college be a Bible or Christian College

1. Should I go? College is an important part of an individuals life. It is in college that most young people grow up and learn to live independently of their parents. It is in college that you typically find your spouse. College prepares you for work. Your college years are the most formible years of your life. You are on your own, having to think for yourself. Though I don't believe college is a requirement for all young people, I do believe it to be important and that most young people should go.

2. Should that be a Bible/Christian college? On this I would say absolutely yes. For all of the reasons mentioned under point #1. Why would anyone want to go to a college you know you are going to be lied to. Why would anyone want to go to a college you are going to be tempted in some serious wickedness. Having been to a secular university, having seen the humanistic teaching, the worldly influence, this is not an option for my children.

College is extremely important.

Why would anyone want to go to a college you know you are going to be lied to. Why would anyone want to go to a college you are going to be tempted in some serious wickedness. Having been to a secular university, having seen the humanistic teaching, the worldly influence, this is not an option for my children.

That applies to Christian college as well. I have actually seen many more young people utterly destroyed spiritually at Christian colleges than at secular colleges. Any college you go to you are going to be in a serious spiritual battle although the battles may be different. The secular colleges may attack God directly, while generally at christian colleges the attacks are somewhat more subtle but with no less potential for damage.

The terrible thing is that to many parents send their children to "christian" colleges under the impression their children will be protected because the college is "christian". That is a mistake. When the child leaves the home to attend college they are going to face MANY MAJOR spiritual attacks no matter what the college calls itself. Parents can do NOTHING about that. Parents can only successfully protect their children for so long. What parents should do is strive to prepare their children to stand for God BEFORE they get to college and when they do go make certain they know that like it or not, they are squarely in the middle of a battle and require the whole armor of God if they don't want to fall victim to the lies of the devil.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Bible college certainly is not a requirement. God's has a different plan for each person and it's your responsibility to walk with God and understand what His will is for your life. However, I think if a person is graduating high school and has no idea what God wants, then at least one year of Bible college is probably a great idea.

To add to Seth's post, parents also make the mistake of sending their child to Bible college to "fix" them. These kids come into a Christian college with the wrong attitude and usually end up leaving college in worse shape than when they started.

• Administrators
To add to Seth's post' date=' parents also make the mistake of sending their child to Bible college to "fix" them. These kids come into a Christian college with the wrong attitude and usually end up leaving college in worse shape than when they started.[/quote']

My dad sent me to "fix" the college, does that count? :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Though there is nothing wrong with going to Bible college, It is the responsiblity of the Sr. Pastor of each Local Church to train up folks for the ministry weather it is a song leader or a preacher.

What I do not like is the division it causes on which one to go to.

We did a bible institute at my Church years ago, which I graduated from and now teach.

I do agree that college is a good idea even if its a 9 month trade school.

Yes, Bro Matt, Im sure it worked brother :)