• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Trump White House turned over records that were torn up by former president, National Archives confirms

• Members

The National Archives on Monday issued a rare statement confirming that records turned over from the Trump White House “included paper records that had been torn up by former President Trump.”

“White House records management officials during the Trump Administration recovered and taped together some of the torn-up records,” the statement read. “These were turned over to the National Archives at the end of the Trump Administration, along with a number of torn-up records that had not been reconstructed by the White House.”

The statement came after the Washington Post reported that some of the 700 pages of documents that the National Archives transmitted to the House select committee investigating the insurrection of Jan. 6, 2021, had “been ripped up and then taped back together.”

Trump had sought to block the release of the records, which reportedly include drafts of executive orders and speeches, presidential diaries and handwritten notes concerning the events of Jan. 6.

But last month the Supreme Court denied the former president’s request to prevent the select committee from obtaining the records, and the National Archives immediately began the process of transmitting the trove to the committee.

The National Archives did not confirm or deny the report that some of the documents now in the committee’s possession had been torn up by Trump.

The Presidential Records Act requires that all records created by presidents be preserved and turned over to the National Archives at the end of their administrations. In 2018, Politico reported that Trump had a habit of routinely tearing presidential records into shreds, forcing staffers armed with Scotch tape to piece together fragments of paper that were “so small they looked like confetti.”

“White House aides realized early on that they were unable to stop Trump from ripping up paper after he was done with it and throwing it in the trash or on the floor,” the report read. “Instead, they chose to clean it up for him, in order to make sure that the president wasn’t violating the law.”

• Members
36 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

@Razor....So? Just another shot at the former POTUS...the point is...THE RECORDS WERE STILL PRESERVED, TORN OR NOT! 

No crime was committed.

Only because his staff saved him. I doubt he knew they were retrieving the papers from the trash. 

Why would he tear them up and throw them in the trash when the law says all are to be preserved? 

Edited by Razor

• Members
10 minutes ago, Razor said:

Only because his staff saved him. I doubt he knew they were retrieving the papers from the trash. 

Why would he tear them up and throw them in the trash when the law says all are to be preserved? 

I'm sure that many POTUS' have done the same thing....and I'm sure their staff has done the same thing. Don't make it sound so nefarious! It's not like Hillary Clinton using a server not allowed to try and cover HER tracks. She knew better, yet, she did it! Tried to erase the evidence, even.

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I'm sure that many POTUS' have done the same thing....and I'm sure their staff has done the same thing. Don't make it sound so nefarious! It's not like Hillary Clinton using a server not allowed to try and cover HER tracks. She knew better, yet, she did it! Tried to erase the evidence, even.

Hillary was never president, so the law does not apply to her.

Now, give me proof that other presidents have done the same. 

• Members
3 minutes ago, Razor said:

Hillary was never president, so the law does not apply to her.

Now, give me proof that other presidents have done the same. 

That specific law doesn't apply to her, but we're all sure that Slick SICK Willy did this, and tried to hide information concerning his lies. The law is still the law in HRC's case. JFK and Richard Nixon also did this. 

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
5 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

That specific law doesn't apply to her, but we're all sure that Slick SICK Willy did this, and tried to hide information concerning his lies. The law is still the law in HRC's case. JFK and Richard Nixon also did this. 

Show me proof that Bill Clinton hid documents. Verbally he lied, no question about that. 

No president has ever been accused of ripping up documents ... except Trump. 

I see you continue to troll my comments. 

• Members

I though Trump defenders were law and order people. He had no respect for the law and was saved by his staff. Are some of you saying it is fine if he has no respect for the law? 

Has anyone heard anything about a Trump presidential library? I have not heard Trump or anyone saying one will be built.

Edited by Razor

• Members
9 hours ago, Razor said:

Show me proof that Bill Clinton hid documents. Verbally he lied, no question about that. 

No president has ever been accused of ripping up documents ... except Trump. 

I see you continue to troll my comments. 

I don't troll. Again, false accusations. In other words...lies. 

The only reason that Trump was mentioned as tearing up documents is because people have an ax to grind, and you love promoting anything that libels/slanders the former POTUS. That's been proven here time and again. 

42 minutes ago, Razor said:

I though Trump defenders were law and order people. He had no respect for the law and was saved by his staff. Are some of you saying it is fine if he has no respect for the law? 

Has anyone heard anything about a Trump presidential library? I have not heard Trump or anyone saying one will be built.

With Trump counting on another run, and possibly a second term, he isn't obligated to even acknowledge a library yet. At your age, one would think you realized that.

43 minutes ago, Razor said:

With Trump counting on another run, and possibly a second term, he isn't obligated to even acknowledge a library yet. At your age, one would think you realized that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For the 15 boxes of documents — some classified and marked “top secret” — the long journey from former president Donald Trump’s gilded Mar-a-Lago residence in Palm Beach, Fla., to a secure facility in the Washington area began last summer, when the National Archives and Records Administration reached out to Trump’s team to alert them that some high-profile documents from his presidency appeared to be missing.

But it was not until the end of the year that the boxes were finally readied for collection, according to two people familiar with the logistics, one of whom described the ordeal as “a bit of a process.”

At one point, Archives officials threatened that, if Trump’s team did not voluntarily produce the materials, they would send a letter to Congress or the Justice Department revealing the lack of cooperation, according to a third person familiar with the situation.

The tale of these 15 boxes — and the material contained within — underscores how defiantly and indiscriminately Trump violated the records law, which requires that the White House preserve all written communication related to a president’s official duties and then turn it over to the National Archives. Instead, starting in his presidency and continuing into his post-presidency, documents both classified and mundane — as well as official gifts, which are governed by similarly stringent rules — were treated with the same disregard and enveloped in the same chaos that characterized his term in office.

A trucking administrator at Bennett, a Georgia transportation firm that handles a lot of government contracts, said that under traditional circumstances, shipment of these sorts of materials would be handled through a secure transfer — including GPS tracking of the vehicle and a team trained to handle sensitive information.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/02/12/trump-15-boxes/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F36069ce%2F6207f0c99d2fda34e78c0d69%2F59876e1cae7e8a681613bd00%2F8%2F70%2F6207f0c99d2fda34e78c0d69

• Members

I wonder just how many things disappeared/have disappeared under Carter, Clinton, Obama, and under Biden so far. I'm sure there's plenty that has "gone missing."  Some continue to cast dispersions on Mr. Trump alone and never admitting the ones mentioned have thieved and decieved during their times in the White House.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, SureWord said:

Bill is really fixated on something nobody, and I mean NOBODY, cares about. 

ANYTHING to distract us from what the CURRENT president is doing. If we keep talking about Trump, then we'll not notice what Biden is currently doing or not doing. The politics of distraction.

@Razor, please only post small excerpts of the article with the link. We can get hit with plagiarism in Google's algorisms.  Thank you