• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Have You Earned Your Tomorrow

• Members

Have You Earned Your Tomorrow

Edgar Guest

Is anybody happier because you passed his way?
     Does anyone remember that you spoke to him today?
This day is almost over, and its toiling time is through;
     Is there anyone to utter now a kindly word of you?

Did you give a cheerful greeting to the friend who came along?
Or a churlish sort of "Howdy" and then vanish in the throng?
Were you selfish pure and simple as you rushed along the way,
Or is someone mighty grateful for a deed you did today?

Can you say tonight, in parting with the day that's slipping fast,
     That you helped a single brother of the many that you passed?
Is a single heart rejoicing over what you did or said;
     Does a man whose hopes were fading now with courage look ahead?

Did you waste the day, or lose it, was it well or sorely spent?
     Did you leave a trail of kindness or a scar of discontent?
As you close your eyes in slumber do you think that God would say,
     You have earned one more tomorrow by the work you did today?

• Members

This poet seems to have a somewhat warped view of God, at least according to the last few lines of the poem. Bad theology. Our lifespan isn't "earned" by the works we do. Evil people live long life spans...many much longer than that of the servants of Christ.

• Members
6 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

This poet seems to have a somewhat warped view of God, at least according to the last few lines of the poem. Bad theology. Our lifespan isn't "earned" by the works we do. Evil people live long life spans...many much longer than that of the servants of Christ.

I think you miss what the poet is saying. He is not talking about salvation or heaven IMHO. 

• Members
15 minutes ago, Razor said:

I think you miss what the poet is saying. He is not talking about salvation or heaven IMHO. 

Razor, no point missed...bad theology, no matter what it is attached to is still bad theology and a danger to Christians.

• Members
30 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Razor, no point missed...bad theology, no matter what it is attached to is still bad theology and a danger to Christians.

You totally miss the point. Was it bad theology when Paul wrote, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." That is what the poet is saying with different words. Can you say it at the end of each day?

• Members
25 minutes ago, Razor said:

You totally miss the point. Was it bad theology when Paul wrote, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." That is what the poet is saying with different words. Can you say it at the end of each day?

No point missed...another "me" centered poem. The ending of the poem implies that God would be willing to say by our works that we DESERVE another day...we don't.

"As you close your eyes in slumber do you think that God would say,
     You have earned one more tomorrow by the work you did today?"

We don't EARN another day. It's only by God's grace we have the days we have.The Bible also tells us to point out bad theology and contend for the faith. No matter how you present bad theology in poetry, it doesn't make it palletable for the Christian. It's like putting a cockroach onto a plate of pot roast, potatoes, carrots, etc. 

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
1 minute ago, BrotherTony said:

No point missed...another "me" centered poem. The ending of the poem implies that God would be willing to say by our works that we DESERVE another day...we don't.

We don't EARN another day. It's only by God's grace we have the days we have.The Bible also tells us to point out bad theology and contend for the faith. No matter how you present bad theology in poetry, it doesn't make it palletable for the Christian. It's like putting a cockroach onto a plate of pot roast, potatoes, carrots, etc. 

You still miss the point. 

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

Yea, a man may say, “Thou hast faith, and I have works.” Show me thy faith apart from thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works. James 2:18

• Members
3 minutes ago, Razor said:

Yea, a man may say, “Thou hast faith, and I have works.” Show me thy faith apart from thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works. James 2:18

Still, it DOESN'T make God say, "I'll give them another day!" I can only recall of one time in the Bible where God gave someone extended life, and that was in 2 Kings 20 with King Hezekiah. 

Psalm 31:15 15 My times are in thy hand: 

Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Jeremiah 29:11 11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

I truly believe you are mishandling Scripture in order to try and make a point. Works only come into play when a person is truly saved and are showing their salvation through their works. Works don't save.

• Members

The OP as a poem it appears innocent enough, but subtly promotes humanistic ideas and thought. 

"As you close your eyes in slumber do you think that God would say, You have earned one more tomorrow by the work you did today?"

The word of God teaches us... Romans 7:18 "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."  Titus 3:5 "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;" 

"It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23 "Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:9

• Members

I think both points of view expressed in this thread are covered by Jesus in Matthew 6:

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (Mat 6:33-34)

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God". That would be what appears to be the meat of the first 14 lines of this poem. Live as Christ would have lived. Take up your cross. "I will show thee my faith by my works" James 2:18. The poem asks, have we done that today. I think most Christians (myself most certainly included) would have to honestly say no on more days than they care to admit.

The last two lines of the poem, however, do seem to fly in the face of scripture as Tony and Timothy rightly divide. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Matthew 6:34   

As we live our lives through the Holy Spirit those good works referred to in James 2:18 should become a natural part of our lives, but it is also important to remember that regardless what we do, in the grand scheme of things, "...we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; (Isa 64:6).

I know of a good many non-Christians that are very charitable and loving people; but they are not saved. And nothing they do here on earth, regardless the good, will earn them one day in Heaven. They good deeds are similar to the vain oblations of Isaiah 1:13: Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.

Are you saved? Great! What a blessing!

Are you living your life as Christ would have you? Awesome!

But don't expect any of that to buy you one more day here on earth. That is bad theology.

Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth. (Pro 27:1)