• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who was the first preacher your remember

• Members

Who was the first preacher you remember and remember something they said?

I was three or four years old, so this was in 1943 or 1944. Chester Swore was leading a revival at a Baptist Church that my parents attended. His sermon must have been one denouncing the popular culture of that time. I remember him saying, "What is more ridiculous than the song "Three itsy-bitsy fish in an itsy bitsy pond." I remember the church was jam-packed. That is all I remember of that night at the revival. 

image.jpeg.c3782c92ecdebd3ea2cca4f76aa78d83.jpeg

Chester Swore -- 1907-1990

• Members

The first preacher I remember was my great uncle, an old time Methodist pastor and evangelist, John Chasteen. I don't have a picture of him, but I know he lived in Terre Haute, IN for years and was well known in the Methodist, Baptist, and Pentecostal circles. 

• Moderators

First preacher I remember would be from the church we attended from age 7-14. First preacher whom I remember what he said was Mickey Bonner. I was at the conference in '97 where he died while preaching. His last words kinda stuck - "God can't use you until you're completely broken before Him." (Or something like that... my memory was that he was a black preacher, and turns out he wasn't, so my memory is obviously a bit skewed).