• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are Drums welcome in your church yet…

• Members

Many are opening to louder music instruments in their churches. I personally don’t mind having them, but I’m Spanish, we use many acoustic music instruments in our worship. I know that many hymns can’t have drums. This applies more to the contemporary songs, and music only. What are your thoughts of having drums in the church.

Drums Koala GIF

• Members
41 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Many are opening to louder music instruments in their churches. I personally don’t mind having them, but I’m Spanish, we use many acoustic music instruments in our worship. I know that many hymns can’t have drums. This applies more to the contemporary songs, and music only. What are your thoughts of having drums in the church.

Drums Koala GIF

I see nothing wrong with drums in the church as long as they're not being played like a rock & roll drum solo. Our assistant pastor and his son both play the drums, but in recent services, our pastor has allowed the assistant pastors 8/9 year old son to play a heavy metal type presentation in the morning service. Of course, we weren't in the service, but it was posted on FB. Many there didn't appreciate the action, but were understanding that this was about the only time the youngster was going to be able to give his recital in front of people. I would have been okay with this, but would have preferred it be right after the service. 

The assistant pastor plays the bongo's, the snare drum, and several other types. So, we get a good amount of drum music in our church. But, it's usually done in good taste.

• Members

I would say, if the drums are used in such a way as to compliment the song service, then there's no problem. If the drums detract from the service, such as overwhelm any other instruments and the singing, then they're a distraction. I've been to a few churches that had an entire orchestra, including  drums, that really enhanced and added to the enjoyment of the song service. So really, it depends on the usage. 

• Members

I do not like loud music. I have auditory nerve damage on my right side and loud music causes physical pain. So, for me I'd rather not have loud music of any kind. I see no theological problem with drums. 

I am not very familiar with modern  hymns. The few times I have been in a worship service where such hymns, if I can call them that, were sung I found they, not only caused me real physical pain but lacking in theological depth. Often there was what I would call a rock band playing before the church service and during the hymns. I would have to opt out of going to such a church because of the pain. Now, don't get me wrong. I am sure there are contemporary hymns that have sound theology and can be played and sung at less than 100 decibels.