• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pluralism - Deconstruction - Postmodernism

• Members

Pluralism - Deconstruction - Postmodernism. They are tools of Satan of course. If you're not familiar with them, the definitions are on the internet. I had a rough idea what they were but, didn't have a definition until I looked them up.

What is their effect on you, the local church, witnessing, secular society, and western nations?

• Members
3 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Pluralism - Deconstruction - Postmodernism. They are tools of Satan of course. If you're not familiar with them, the definitions are on the internet. I had a rough idea what they were but, didn't have a definition until I looked them up.

What is their effect on you, the local church, witnessing, secular society, and western nations?

Yeah, they are terms used by communist-anarchists. It's all about breaking down the foundations of America and erecting a communist foundation with them in charge making all the money.

• Members
5 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I am perplexed. Which pluralism are you identifying as a tool of Satan? I am not looking for an argument but for information. 

Edited by Razor

• Members
49 minutes ago, Razor said:

I am perplexed. Which pluralism are you identifying as a tool of Satan? I am not looking for an argument but for information. 

Pick your flavor and run your with it.

2 hours ago, SureWord said:

Yeah, they are terms used by communist-anarchists. It's all about breaking down the foundations of America and erecting a communist foundation with them in charge making all the money.

What about radical religious pluralism?

• Members
44 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

44 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I do not know what radical religious pluralism means. Please enlighten me. 

• Moderators

ITimothy, while I feel like the last question may just be intending to raise a fuss, there can be contradictory definitions online. To better feed this discussion, you may find it useful to provide the definitions you are working with. ??‍♀️

• Members
3 hours ago, Salyan said:

ITimothy, while I feel like the last question may just be intending to raise a fuss, there can be contradictory definitions online. To better feed this discussion, you may find it useful to provide the definitions you are working with. ??‍♀️

Thanks Salyan. I'm leaning toward a little pluralism may leaven truth.  I can understand folks asking for definition, finding a definition for some of these is hard to pin down...I'm glad I didn't have to ask Facebook fact checkers. Here is what I found...

Pluralism - Pluralism is a term used in philosophy, meaning "doctrine of multiplicity", often used in opposition to monism ("doctrine of unity") and dualism ("doctrine of duality"). The term has different meanings in metaphysics, ontology, epistemology and logic.
Religious Pluralism - Sometimes defined as “respect for the otherness of others,” religious pluralism exists when adherents of all religious belief systems or denominations co-exist harmoniously in the same society.
Deconstruction - a strategy of critical questioning directed towards exposing unquestionable metaphysical assumptions and internal contradictions in philosophical and literary language.
Radical Religious Pluralism – radical challenge to traditional religious authority and truth; substituting personal preference or experience possibly including other religious traditions to form a mixture; with clergy or authority’s encouragement.

Plain as mud, right?

• Members

I think there are threats and dangers in every age, and these change. Also they change depending on where in the world you are. For some of our persecuted brothers and sisters pluralism would seem like a good thing, to be allowed to practice our faith free from threat.

In the western world the problem is the negative change towards pluralism from a place where the Bible stood front and centre of our culture. This is so sad, and surely a sign of degradation in the end times. 

Don't get me started on postmodernism...

• Members
7 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Thanks Salyan. I'm leaning toward a little pluralism may leaven truth.  I can understand folks asking for definition, finding a definition for some of these is hard to pin down...I'm glad I didn't have to ask Facebook fact checkers. Here is what I found...

Pluralism - Pluralism is a term used in philosophy, meaning "doctrine of multiplicity", often used in opposition to monism ("doctrine of unity") and dualism ("doctrine of duality"). The term has different meanings in metaphysics, ontology, epistemology and logic.
Religious Pluralism - Sometimes defined as “respect for the otherness of others,” religious pluralism exists when adherents of all religious belief systems or denominations co-exist harmoniously in the same society.
Deconstruction - a strategy of critical questioning directed towards exposing unquestionable metaphysical assumptions and internal contradictions in philosophical and literary language.
Radical Religious Pluralism – radical challenge to traditional religious authority and truth; substituting personal preference or experience possibly including other religious traditions to form a mixture; with clergy or authority’s encouragement.

Plain as mud, right?

Thank you for the definitions. I'll watch the discussion to gain an even clearer knowledge

• Members

I believe radical religious pluralism does the greater harm. Prominent personalities both secular and "non-secular" promote the "many ways to God". Examples would be Opra Winfrey (many ways to heaven) and Rick Warren (prosperity gospel), just to name a couple. 

Add to these radicals a community of people unwilling to educate themselves in the Bible and it may result in what we see in western nations today. People rejecting Biblical truth for their own experience.

I live in a mostly rural area and personally have seen a shift in how receptive people are to Biblical discussions. Community-based evangelical outreach appears to have suffered too. My analogy would be the fields are white but approach too near and the blooms fall off, it can become ugly in a hurry. Further I believe the pluralism cherished in colleges and universities further complicates one-to-one, in their form of pluralism Christianity is excluded. It would appear the rioting and vandalism displayed in cities across the United States in 2020 could be attributed to plurality and lack of singular and final authority. 

I'm reading a book by D.A. Carson, The Gagging Of God, this is where I'm finding much information and forming some of these thoughts.

But my ultimate authority is the Word of God in my KJV. If I made that statement to the pluralists, they would probably reject anything I said and most likely attack me as an exclusionist hater.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The tenants and doctrines of Christianity (i.e. God, Spirit, faith, salvation, etc.) are not understood through the new-ager’s pre-received definitions. With little to no Biblical training (as in any other needful study) a personal definition and understanding is developed and applied. Thus, they interpret what you’re saying and define it with their own dictionary. In other words, the new-ager or postmodernist, has no idea what you are talking about. The recourse is entirely with the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 2:14   But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.