• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes faces rare charge of seditious conspiracy for Jan. 6 role

• Members

Now this is a serious charge. 

Sedition defined: conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.

More than 700 people have been charged by the Justice Department in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021 riot at the U.S. Capitol. On that day, a violent mob of supporters of then-President Donald Trump stormed the building in an attempt to block the certification of the Electoral College tally for the 2020 presidential election. But in the year since the attack, none of the accused had been charged with the crime of sedition, a fact that has led a growing number of Republican lawmakers to question the seriousness of the insurrection.

That changed on Thursday, when Stewart Rhodes, the founder and leader of the far-right Oath Keepers militia group, and 10 of its members or associates were charged with seditious conspiracy, a rare violation of a Civil War-era law that occurs when two or more people conspire to “overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force” the U.S. government.

https://www.aol.com/news/oath-keepers-founder-stewart-rhodes-192749802.html

• Members
49 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Try posting something positive, it would be a refreshing change.

I have. I thought the postings on the telescope and the posting on the Stephen Hawking's paradox were positive. Also, I posted on he Flame Nebula and I thought that positive. Good news is positive news. Of course, we must admit that one person's positive news may well be another person's negative news.

Now, will you post something positive. I will appreciate it very much. 

Hmmm, you have rather taken us off topic. 

I do think it sad that a person with Stewart Rhode's intellect should land himself in so much trouble. I cannot fathom him not realizing he was headed for trouble.

Edited by Razor

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Razor said:

I have. I thought the postings on the telescope and the posting on the Stephen Hawking's paradox were positive. Also, I posted on he Flame Nebula and I thought that positive. Good news is positive news. Of course, we must admit that one person's positive news may well be another person's negative news.

Now, will you post something positive. I will appreciate it very much. 

I have posted well over three thousand posts, go look them. I am not at your beck and call to post by request.

• Members
1 hour ago, SureWord said:

The Oathkeepers never entered the Capital Building. If they are being charged for making threats than what about Ray Epps?

Oh, yeah, he was an FBI plant.

Not true. Rhodes did not enter but others did. Rhodes was part of the Quick Reaction Force, rather like reserves in battle. They had weapons and were ready to go to the Capitol and open battle. 

At approximately 2.30pm, it said, some of the men now charged with seditious conspiracy and other “Oath Keepers and affiliates – many wearing paramilitary clothing and patches with the Oath Keepers name, logo, and insignia – marched in a ‘stack’ formation up the east steps of the Capitol, joined a mob, and made their way into the Capitol.

“Later, another group of Oath Keepers and associates … formed a second ‘stack’ and breached the Capitol grounds, marching from the west side to the east side of the Capitol building and up the east stairs and into the building.

“While certain Oath Keepers members and affiliates breached the Capitol grounds and building, others remained stationed just outside of the city in quick reaction force (QRF) teams. According to the indictment, the QRF teams were prepared to rapidly transport firearms and other weapons into Washington DC in support of operations aimed at using force to stop the lawful transfer of presidential power.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/13/oath-keepers-capitol-attack-us

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The founder of the far-right militia group the Oath Keepers must remain in custody pending his trial on charges in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, a federal judge in Texas ruled Wednesday.

Elmer Stewart Rhodes, charged with seditious conspiracy and other counts, poses a danger if released, U.S. Magistrate Judge Kimberly Priest Johnson wrote in a 17-page ruling.

Johnson wrote that evidence showed Rhodes planned and organized an effort to try to prevent the peaceful transfer of power and that his “authoritative role in the conspiracy, access to substantial weaponry, and ability to finance any future insurrection, combined with his continued advocacy for violence against the federal government, gives rise to a credible threat."

The ruling also says Rhodes could easily flee, and that the Oath Keepers that he leads has members across the nation.

Rhodes, 56, of Granbury, Texas, has been detained since his arrest Jan. 13.

Prosecutors say Rhodes spearheaded a conspiracy in which he recruited people to go to Washington on Jan. 6, 2021, including plans for an armed “quick reaction force” in Virginia. 

They also allege he oversaw two “military-style stacks,” or formations, that joined other pro-Trump rioters to force their way inside the Capitol.

Attorneys for Rhodes did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday night. 

One of the attorneys, James Lee Bright, said they plan to file an appeal in Washington, D.C., Thursday, according to The Associated Press.

His attorneys have said that any member of the group that entered the Capitol did so on their own and not at the direction of Rhodes, NBC Dallas-Fort Worth has reported. Rhodes is not accused of going into the Capitol. 

Attorney Phillip Linder has said the federal government sees Rhodes as “the poster boy for this movement” and “I think they’re trying to shut him down.”

Ten other people were also charged earlier this month with seditious conspiracy, some of whom had previously been charged in the attack on Jan. 6, 2021. 

• Members

Does anyone recall this much effort being spent for justice with regard to the riots in Seattle, Portland or Minneapolis. Riots far more deadly and damaging than what happened in D.C. In Seattle they completely took over the Capital district for 3 weeks. I'm not condoning what happened in D.C., but it pales in comparison to those three; and yet nary a word on those deadly and damaging acts of sedition.

I don't suppose politics could have anything to do with that...?

• Members
2 hours ago, Napsterdad said:

Does anyone recall this much effort being spent for justice with regard to the riots in Seattle, Portland or Minneapolis. Riots far more deadly and damaging than what happened in D.C. In Seattle they completely took over the Capital district for 3 weeks. I'm not condoning what happened in D.C., but it pales in comparison to those three; and yet nary a word on those deadly and damaging acts of sedition.

I don't suppose politics could have anything to do with that...?

We ALL know that politics has EVERYTHING to do with all of this! We also know that we're fighting an enemy that isn't of flesh and blood. The adversary is controlling the hearts and minds of those who have committed such acts and the ones who are allowing it to go on in whatever name they want to call it these days.