• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why pray with my head down and eyes closed

• Members
20 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Can you share with me, why we do this, and when did it being. Is this in the Bible, this action, or is it traditionally practice. Can I pray with my eyes open. 

Thanks

Prayer GIF

I don't believe the Lord cares if our eyes are looking towards heaven or are looking down with our heads bowed, or if we have our eyes closed. 

• Members
11 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I don't believe the Lord cares if our eyes are looking towards heaven or are looking down with our heads bowed, or if we have our eyes closed. 

Thanks, when did this begin, and is it biblical to practice.

• Members
11 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Thanks, when did this begin, and is it biblical to practice.

I don't see why it isn't....When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray he didn't stop and say, "Bow your heads and close your eyes." He just started giving an example of a prayer. He give an example of the publican who was praying for forgiveness/salvation, and he appears according to scriptures to have his head facing down begging for mercy. There was the account of the prophet who was "competing" against the prophets of baal to see whose god would send down fire. He was looking and raising hands towards heaven. There are varying ways to pray. I don't see any set way for people to pray outside of the example of the prayer Jesus gave.

• Members
11 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I don't see why it isn't....When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray he didn't stop and say, "Bow your heads and close your eyes." He just started giving an example of a prayer. He give an example of the publican who was praying for forgiveness/salvation, and he appears according to scriptures to have his head facing down begging for mercy. There was the account of the prophet who was "competing" against the prophets of baal to see whose god would send down fire. He was looking and raising hands towards heaven. There are varying ways to pray. I don't see any set way for people to pray outside of the example of the prayer Jesus gave.

I can see them looking to the heavens, the sky, when they pray and are seeking God.

• Members
7 hours ago, E Morales said:

I can see them looking to the heavens, the sky, when they pray and are seeking God.

I don't know why not....Do you hang your head when you have a conversation with a parent, or someone in authority? I don't believe it's so much the position of our head and eyes as it is the attitude of our heart and the willingness to let God speak to us through our time of prayer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
2 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Wondering why you even ask this. Why not, I would respond?

It's no problem to do so, but if I say, close your eyes, heads down, lift your right hand up, will this be fine. We do what we want, but it will not make you anymore holy, if you do it, or not.

• Members

In church I pray with my head bowed and my eyes close, because I was taught that way to pray when I was converted. I was taught it was respectful and so I stick to it.

Now, I'm not saying what I was taught was correct, or that I'm 'RIGHT' in what I do. But as it's not instructed in the Bible I am at liberty, and for me this shows respect for the Lord and for others in the congregation. 

There is a practical plus-side...with my eyes shut if another in the congregation, using their own liberty, prays in a pose contrary to my own preference - well, I simply don't know about it!

• Members
4 hours ago, Mark C said:

In church I pray with my head bowed and my eyes close, because I was taught that way to pray when I was converted. I was taught it was respectful and so I stick to it.

Now, I'm not saying what I was taught was correct, or that I'm 'RIGHT' in what I do. But as it's not instructed in the Bible I am at liberty, and for me this shows respect for the Lord and for others in the congregation. 

There is a practical plus-side...with my eyes shut if another in the congregation, using their own liberty, prays in a pose contrary to my own preference - well, I simply don't know about it!

During a profession of faith, members are asked to bowed their heads, and pray as for any to come to Christ for salvation, this is for that person, will not be ashamed or afraid to come forward. We all follow traditions that may seem right, we keep doing the same ways. But, it is not the only way. 

• Members
8 hours ago, E Morales said:

During a profession of faith, members are asked to bowed their heads, and pray as for any to come to Christ for salvation, this is for that person, will not be ashamed or afraid to come forward. We all follow traditions that may seem right, we keep doing the same ways. But, it is not the only way. 

Here is a example: praise God, the message was preached, if anyone here today feels the need to accept Christ as their personal savior, we would love to share it with you. Upfront we have members of our church that would like to share with you, a few verses of the Bible. Please come or meet with me today before you leave. Amen 

• Members
31 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Here is a example: praise God, the message was preached, if anyone here today feels the need to accept Christ as their personal savior, we would love to share it with you. Upfront we have members of our church that would like to share with you, a few verses of the Bible. Please come or meet with me today before you leave. Amen 

Many may indeed bow their heads and close their eyes...it doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't shows any less reverence to God or anyone in the congregation. Some don't bow their heads, nor do they close their eyes. It doesn't make them any less saved or unsaved, nor less respectful of anyone or anything.