• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithing in the last days...

• Members

As the end times are getting much closer, is it really necessary to give all the tithe to the church. I know that there are bills to be paid, in the church. But when there is so much need around us, is it a sin to give a brother in need part of your tithe. I don't think Jesus, would get mad for you helping someone in need. Am I lost christian, by doing this?

Some churches have shown down completely with this COVID, on there out reach ministry's. Tithe and offerings not being put to work.

P.S Don't tell your pastor, he might get mad.

Tuesday Giving GIF by INTO ACTION

• Members

The Bible says to bring the tithes into the storehouse/church. 

Malachi 3:10, KJV: "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

Jesus talks about people tithing. And I believe it's still a command for Christians. Even if it weren't, it would be a good practice for them, as I believe it increases the blessing of God as we show our faithfulness. It's all HIS anyhow. He could take it all away at any time. I don't believe that giving it to someone else or splitting it between God and someone else would be a wise practice It would be like robbing God. You could give a gift to that person, but, don't steal from God to do it.

Malachi 3:8-12

King James Version

8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

• Members
25 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Just go a head and rob a bank so you can give that money to someone in need. Don't worry, Jesus won't get mad at you, because you're helping someone in need. Maybe steal some money from your wife's purse, no need to tell her...after all you are helping someone in need.  Maybe just go to grocery store and walk out without paying for anything... when you get questioned, they will understand when you say you are giving all the food away to someone who needs it. 

No need to fact check this, take my word for it...Jesus will understand

I don't get it, who stealing.

• Members

The Bible commands don't stop being applicable just because you think you are that much closer to Christ's return (and as to when it is exactly, NO ONE KNOWS). IN FACT, there are several places that exhort us to be faithful and keep doing right the "more we see the day approaching."

Whether you think you are doing it on purpose, you are promoting a pragmatic approach to obeying the Bible - if something seems to work better, do that instead. However, the truth has not changed, the NT has not changed.

2 hours ago, E Morales said:

I don't get it, who stealing.

The passage quoted above from Malachi states that God says we are stealing from Him when we don't bring Him all our tithes.

• Members
8 hours ago, E Morales said:

Give with a cheerful heart, the church has needs, but not only the church. The church will survive, with you giving or not. 

Apparently you don't understand the principle or command from God about tithing as a Christian. When you take the tithe from the "storehouse", the church, you're stealing from God. Giving with a cheerful heart is good, but you should give to the church with a cheerful heart, as well as giving to others. What is God's, the tithe, is Gods...nobody elses. Giving outside of the tithe is also a good thing...such as you're mentioning...helping someone in need. But, don't steal from God.

• Members

Tithing does at least three things:

1. It helps the church and its efforts.

2. It teaches you discipline in your spending and time you will see it comes back to you from God as a blessing. 

3. It shows where your hear is.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Matt. 6:21

• Members

The church is the body of believers correct, not no building or temple made by man hands. if your church building burns down to the ground, Everyone is safe. You just fine. a new location. In the Old Testament, tithing was, and still practice today. The New Testament, does not mention that we must tithe, but that we should give with a cheerful heart. That it is better to give than to receive. The bible does not say, give only to the local church. It tells us to pay our taxes, and those that earn their wages their fair share. Now stealing may apply here for many christians. If a christian is not a member of any church at the moment, and give to a family in need, is he or she stealing. We as christian members, or churches often turn our looks away, from those that are in need. The need is not just in a building (church) doors, but outside the fence-line .

black and white clouds GIF

• Members
1 hour ago, E Morales said:

The church is the body of believers correct, not no building or temple made by man hands.

Reply: Yes, the church is the body of believers. The believers should bring their tithes to their local assembly for use in their work. It's up to the body of believers as a whole under the direction of their shepherd on where the money goes. It's Gods...not the individual believers.

if your church building burns down to the ground, Everyone is safe. You just fine. a new location.

Reply: We're not talking about a building...none of us who replied to you....You seem to have a limited understanding of this. Some churches, if the building burns down, don't ever rebuild, as has been the case with several in our area. The church is only as good as the people in it. Many are just too worldy to care about Godly things.

In the Old Testament, tithing was, and still practice today. The New Testament, does not mention that we must tithe, but that we should give with a cheerful heart.

Reply: Yet, we find that the principle of the tithe wasn't done away with. The Bible tells us in Malachi 3:6a "I am the Lord thy God, I change not." The Lord doesn't change the principle of tithing as we enter the New Covenant. For most Christians, they believe that the Lord has increased the challenge by the verse you are using on being a cheerful giver, and they seem to have the increased blessings of God on their lives to prove it. The Bible asks us to test an prove the Lord in his principles, and I know it's worked quite well for my family. Of course, you can do as you believe the Lord would have you do...you're accountable for your own life as I'm accountable for mine and my family's.

That it is better to give than to receive. The bible does not say, give only to the local church. It tells us to pay our taxes, and those that earn their wages their fair share. Now stealing may apply here for many christians. If a christian is not a member of any church at the moment, and give to a family in need, is he or she stealing. We as christian members, or churches often turn our looks away, from those that are in need. The need is not just in a building (church) doors, but outside the fence-line .

Reply: It indeed IS better to give than receive. Yet, I still hold to the principle of tithing AND giving on top of that. The tithe is the Lords, as well as any offering we would give above and beyond that to the work of the church. Now giving outside of the church is also "giving", but in a different way. Helping those in need is ALSO a Biblical principle and practice. Giving this way after tithing IS NOT stealing from God. Nobody here has declared that this is not a need or a Biblical teaching. If a "Christian" isn't a member of a local assembly, I would be questioning that persons beliefs and Christian walk.

1 hour ago, E Morales said:

black and white clouds GIF

• Members

Both tithing and freewill offerings/giving were in the Old Testament, and both are still found in the NT. And the NT still commands us to bring our tithes to our local church.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Lay by him in store and bring into the storehouse are both referring to bringing your tithes and offering to the same place. Just like the tithes in the OT went to take care of the Levite priests and their families, so too the NT tithes go to take care of the pastor's families, and basically building expenses, etc. (Said as a general statement - but the same basic application, take care of the pastors' families, etc. first and then to outgoing ministries, like missions.)

• Members
3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Both tithing and freewill offerings/giving were in the Old Testament, and both are still found in the NT. And the NT still commands us to bring our tithes to our local church.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Lay by him in store and bring into the storehouse are both referring to bringing your tithes and offering to the same place. Just like the tithes in the OT went to take care of the Levite priests and their families, so too the NT tithes go to take care of the pastor's families, and basically building expenses, etc. (Said as a general statement - but the same basic application, take care of the pastors' families, etc. first and then to outgoing ministries, like missions.)

When does this application happens, when He said, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. Was He talking about the first or second coming.

• Administrators

We get upset about Replacement Theology; however, many of today's churches practice a form of Replacement Theology (without even realizing it). Today's church has replaced Israel in tithing...

1.    They have replaced who is to tithe.
2.    They have replaced what is to be tithed.
3.    They have replaced where to tithe.
4.    They have replaced why they tithe.
5.    They have replaced when they tithe.

So, without even realizing what they're doing, they are practicing Replacement Theology by replacing Israel with the church in this regard.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

We get upset about Replacement Theology; however, many of today's churches practice a form of Replacement Theology (without even realizing it). Today's church has replaced Israel in tithing...

1.    They have replaced who is to tithe.
2.    They have replaced what is to be tithed.
3.    They have replaced where to tithe.
4.    They have replaced why they tithe.
5.    They have replaced when they tithe.

So, without even realizing what they're doing, they are practicing Replacement Theology by replacing Israel with the church in this regard.

I don't understand, Today's church has replaced Israel in tithing. Aren't they still living the Old Testament