• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

We had over 4" of snow last night on top of 1/4" of ice and sleet!

• Members

We were in the upper 70s just a day or two ago, and this morning we have over 4" of snow! My wife was supposed to go back to work today, but, because we got 1/4" of ice beneath the snow, and because they don't clear the roads out here, most of us are going to have to stay in today because of the slick roads. They should have melting snow and ice this afternoon, so the roads should be fine tomorrow. It's unusual to get the snow this early in the season...but, I'm glad it's now happened, and might not happen again! 

Snow 01032022.jpg

Snowfall 1.jpg

Snowfall 2.jpg

Snowfall 3.jpg

Snowfall 4.jpg

Snowfall 5.jpg

Snowfall 6.jpg

• Members
14 minutes ago, SureWord said:

We got about 6 inches and my power has been out since 9:30 am. And for whatever reason there's been no plows out.

14 minutes ago, SureWord said:

We got about 6 inches and my power has been out since 9:30 am. And for whatever reason there's been no plows out.

We thought some of our neighbors would have tried to get out by now...but here it is 1:00 PM and nobody has left the neighborhood. It's supposed to get to 16 tonight, so I'm hoping the road doesn't stay frozen. Doesn't look like the ice has gone yet.

• Administrators

I'm not a fan of winter! LOL. We lived in the midwest for so many years - and most winters were pretty severe.  Snow is unusual in this area, but the last 3 years we've had quite a bit. There is always black ice (which caused my hubby's almost-fatal accident 3 years ago next month), though. It started snowing on Christmas here. We were only supposed to get 1-2 inches...we got  14. And we lost our power for about 15 hours. Of course it's before we have our generator. LOL

Thankfully, our house is very well insulated, so we kept decently warm. It's been raining off and on since last night, so the ice where we walk and park the vehicles has melted, thankfully. I'm just hoping this is the only snow we get, but it's supposed to snow later in the week.

Hubs had to drive my brother home today (the windshield is out of his truck, and he lives 2 hours away, near the Seattle area). He said they were delayed because of an accident, rain, ran mixed with snow, and snow. He's on his way back now; prayerfully he'll avoid mishap.

You guys stay safe and warm!

• Members
18 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

I'm not a fan of winter! LOL. We lived in the midwest for so many years - and most winters were pretty severe.  Snow is unusual in this area, but the last 3 years we've had quite a bit. There is always black ice (which caused my hubby's almost-fatal accident 3 years ago next month), though. It started snowing on Christmas here. We were only supposed to get 1-2 inches...we got  14. And we lost our power for about 15 hours. Of course it's before we have our generator. LOL

Thankfully, our house is very well insulated, so we kept decently warm. It's been raining off and on since last night, so the ice where we walk and park the vehicles has melted, thankfully. I'm just hoping this is the only snow we get, but it's supposed to snow later in the week.

Hubs had to drive my brother home today (the windshield is out of his truck, and he lives 2 hours away, near the Seattle area). He said they were delayed because of an accident, rain, ran mixed with snow, and snow. He's on his way back now; prayerfully he'll avoid mishap.

You guys stay safe and warm!

Thanks! Praying for you and your hubby...your hubby especially being on the road! I hate when Vivian has to be out there on the snow and ice, especially after her accident of Dec 2015 that nearly took her from me. Our power has been flickering for the past several hours. We're hoping it doesn't go out. We've got a camp stove we can use if we need to, and candles as well. 

I was raised in the "Heart of Illinois," Peoria area, for many years...have lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota as well as being born and having lived a 2nd time in Indiana. I'm thankful that we have been out of that stuff for over 27 years. We don't mind the occasional snow, but at our age, and with our physical challenges, we would rather stay away from the cold and snow. 

Have a great New Year! ?

Blessings. 

BT

• Administrators

Thanks for the prayer - we truly appreciate it! Yes, that area is great fun for folks who love snow. lol. When we were younger, we did. But now...Although I do have to admit, the street departments in those areas are very on the ball usually. I know were we lived in IN they were, which was wonderful.

May you have a blessed new year as well.

1 minute ago, Razor said:

Last night I moved my car from where I usually park to a covered location. Glad I did as a tree came down over my usual parking space. 

Whoa! I'm glad you moved your car, too! 

I do have to admit that snow is beautiful, though. Just a glimpse at part of our back yard.

IMG_20211226_141242988.jpg

IMG_20211226_141255681_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211226_141247035_HDR.jpg

• Members
1 hour ago, HappyChristian said:

Thanks for the prayer - we truly appreciate it! Yes, that area is great fun for folks who love snow. lol. When we were younger, we did. But now...Although I do have to admit, the street departments in those areas are very on the ball usually. I know were we lived in IN they were, which was wonderful.

May you have a blessed new year as well.

Whoa! I'm glad you moved your car, too! 

I do have to admit that snow is beautiful, though. Just a glimpse at part of our back yard.

IMG_20211226_141242988.jpg

IMG_20211226_141255681_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211226_141247035_HDR.jpg

Beautiful pictures! I love how snow looks on the landscapes...I just can't take how they affect me in the area of pain! ? Glad razor moved his car as well. We've had a tree come down across ours before, and it's not a fun thing to have happen.

• Members

Highway crews closed a 53-mile portion of Interstate 95 between Dumfries and Carmel Church, just north of Kings Dominion.

Icy conditions on the highway led to multiple stranded tractor-trailers overnight. According to the Virginia Department of Transportation, drivers should avoid the thoroughfare while tow truck works to remove the broken down vehicles and snow plows work to clear the highway.

Late last night, highway again shut down a portion of I-95 in hard-hit Stafford County, where more than a foot of snow fell Monday. Multiple trucks became stranded at milepost 136, near the county’s airport.

The highway near the airport was closed due to crashes involving trucks. Stranded drivers sat in cars for hours without moving an inch.

In addition to the problems in Stafford County, highway crews say there are about 30 tractor-trailers stuck on I-95 near milepost 117, near Thornburg in Spotsylvania County.

Highway crews did not say when the road would reopen.

image.jpeg.99e174c087201c6b0c596e986c3003d9.jpeg

Thousands and thousands of cars and people stranded. 

Watch the video:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/transportation/never-seen-anything-like-it-drivers-stranded-for-15-hours-on-i-95-in-virginia/2926464/

• Members
12 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Glad to hear it! It's hard to be without power.

I had the propane logs going but for whatever reason it was filling the house with smoke so I shoveled the car off and grabbed my oxygen tank (yes, I still have to use it at times) to spend the night in the car and as soon as I got settled the power came back on.

They opened the high school for people to stay at tonight because half the county is still without power and it's supposed to dip to 9 degrees. The next county over 90% of the residents lost power.