• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sickness among Christians

• Members
3 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Maybe, but I guaranteed the majority comes from too much good cooking.

When's the last time a church fasted before sending out missionaries instead of stuffing their gullets? Acts 13:2,3

By the way, I know a lot of my health issues comes from my weight and poor eating habits. like my Type 2.

My Type 2 didn't come from overeating. It came from the constant pushing of steroids into my system before I was diagnosed with bilateral Menieres disease. I went from 225 lbs to over 300 lbs in six months. My caloric intake didn't increase, but the retention of calories did. It wasn't until after I was forced onto these steroids that I had any indication of diabetes. Doctor induced...I've seen it happen more times than I can count on two hands.

As far as churches fasting, many of the churches I have been a member of have done so before having missionaries come to try and raise money during deputation. 

• Members
9 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

My Type 2 didn't come from overeating. It came from the constant pushing of steroids into my system before I was diagnosed with bilateral Menieres disease. I went from 225 lbs to over 300 lbs in six months. My caloric intake didn't increase, but the retention of calories did. It wasn't until after I was forced onto these steroids that I had any indication of diabetes. Doctor induced...I've seen it happen more times than I can count on two hands.

As far as churches fasting, many of the churches I have been a member of have done so before having missionaries come to try and raise money during deputation. 

BrotherTony, I am curious. How tall are you? Ideal weight range charts say you should be at least 6'5" before 225 is in the good weight range. 

There are studies where participants gained weight while taking statins. There are also studies where people lost weight while taking statins. 

I am sorry you have bilateral Meniere's disease. That has to be tough. 

• Members
51 minutes ago, Razor said:

BrotherTony, I am curious. How tall are you? Ideal weight range charts say you should be at least 6'5" before 225 is in the good weight range. 

There are studies where participants gained weight while taking statins. There are also studies where people lost weight while taking statins. 

I am sorry you have bilateral Meniere's disease. That has to be tough. 

I am, or was, 6'3" tall...Since I broke my back in 1986, I have lost a bit of height....My doctors were fine with my weight, and at that time, most of what I had was muscle. Up until 2000, most of what I had was muscle. But, the steroid tests for the Menieres was a life-changer in more ways than one. 

Thanks for the thoughts on bilateral Menieres. It has been tough, and I've lost a lot of friends because of it. They don't understand the nature of the disease, nor the challenges having vertigo hitting one at such inopportuned times. It's part of what has limited me in ministry for the past 17 years. But, the Lord always opens doors for some kind of ministry, whether writing devotionals, my columns, "Just Everyday Things," and "Just A Thought," sermons, Bible studies, and letters. I'm working on three manuscripts at present, and hope to have two of them published within the next 18 months. 

• Members
15 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I am, or was, 6'3" tall...Since I broke my back in 1986, I have lost a bit of height....My doctors were fine with my weight, and at that time, most of what I had was muscle. Up until 2000, most of what I had was muscle. But, the steroid tests for the Menieres was a life-changer in more ways than one. 

Thanks for the thoughts on bilateral Meniere's. It has been tough, and I've lost a lot of friends because of it. They don't understand the nature of the disease, nor the challenges having vertigo hitting one at such inopportuned times. It's part of what has limited me in ministry for the past 17 years. But, the Lord always opens doors for some kind of ministry, whether writing devotionals, my columns, "Just Everyday Things," and "Just A Thought," sermons, Bible studies, and letters. I'm working on three manuscripts at present, and hope to have two of them published within the next 18 months. 

All of us loose some height as  we age. I was 5'11" for years, but now I am 5'9.5". It is the process of disks in our spine reducing in size. Yes, the broken back did not help. That must have been a tough time also. 

The most I ever weighted was 190. I dropped 10 pounds and was 180 for years. About three years ago I decided to see if I could drop more weight. I began eating less and watching what I ate carefully. Slowly I lost weight. In September I decided to stop eating any desserts and not drink any soft drinks. That helped me drop weight also. Now I am at 150 pounds. That is 12 pounds less than when I was discharged from the army in 1962 and 2 pounds less than when I graduated from high school. My plan is to not gain any weight and if I drop a few more pounds that be fine also. 

I do not understand 'fair-weather friends' who would stop being your friend because of the Meniere's Disease. Why no sympathy or support? 

Hang in there and keep as healthy as you can. 

• Members
5 minutes ago, Razor said:

All of us loose some height as  we age. I was 5'11" for years, but now I am 5'9.5". It is the process of disks in our spine reducing in size. Yes, the broken back did not help. That must have been a tough time also. 

The most I ever weighted was 190. I dropped 10 pounds and was 180 for years. About three years ago I decided to see if I could drop more weight. I began eating less and watching what I ate carefully. Slowly I lost weight. In September I decided to stop eating any desserts and not drink any soft drinks. That helped me drop weight also. Now I am at 150 pounds. That is 12 pounds less than when I was discharged from the army in 1962 and 2 pounds less than when I graduated from high school. My plan is to not gain any weight and if I drop a few more pounds that be fine also. 

I do not understand 'fair-weather friends' who would stop being your friend because of the Meniere's Disease. Why no sympathy or support? 

Hang in there and keep as healthy as you can. 

Most thought it was something that was able to be transmissible. Of course, it's not, and they finally realized it...but they felt then that it was too late to repair the relationship. Some have attempted to do so, and I've encouraged it. I find it hard to hold grudges against anyone. Besides, the Bible teaches us not to do so. It harms us more than those we're holding a grudge against. Those who haven't tried to restore the friendship...I have!  That's all I can do.

Neither my wife or I eat much, and since both of us have had serious back trauma, me from falling off a house and then having one third of a square of shingles fall on top of me, and here being rear-ended in Dec of 2015 by someone going 110+ mph, forcing her into another lane of traffic, where she almost perished, we have tried to stay as active as possible. It's hard to do when you have no balance, or you were born with legs that weren't that great to begin with. Life is a challenge, and not for those faint of heart. Yet, God's grace is sufficient. 

• Members

This has nothing to do with anyone's health here, just a word that was mentioned above: Transmissable.

I watch youtube and get their advertisements during some videos. One that I find funny is for a toe fungus. The "nurse" in the video first says it is contagious, then a few seconds later she says you can pass it on to others too!

Um, where I come from that is what contagious means...

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

• Members
On 12/31/2021 at 11:17 AM, baptist senior said:

While Jesus was on earth He healed anyone that asked or was asked for by someone else.  What are your thoughts on why there is so much sickness amongst Christians that goes unhealed ? 

I believe God can and does still heal when that's his will, but sickness is an unfortunate consequence of a sinful world.  As Christians we are supposed to be spiritually not of the world but we are still physically in a fallen world where sickness and death comes for everyone.

I would agree with the others who point out that the healings during Jesus earthly ministry were to validate the claims and identity of Jesus of Nazareth. If healings were continually occurring even among believers everyone with enough faith would be virtually immortal and in a way forcing God to be subordinate to human will instead of his own sovereign plan.

The former Pastor here was diagnosed  with brain cancer that was already at a stage that they had to do surgery or he would've died very quickly. While Pastor Leigh Crockett was in the hospital preparing for surgery his IFB congregation were on their knees desperately praying for God to intercede. 

When the doctors did the next brain scan they were shocked to see that the cancer had changed form into a non life threatening stage. God had interceded and prolonged Pastor Crockett's time on earth. This was not some Benny Hinn or TBN  emotional fake healing...this case was documented into the official health books as something that had never been seen or recorded before. 

This Pastor from a small Indiana town was interviewed on national news agencies along with the doctors who verified it was nothing short of a miracle. If you Google the his name there may still be footage of it somewhere on YouTube. 

I knew Pastor Crockett and eventually became a member of Grace Baptist so I know first hand that the story was not only real but a modern miracle. About seven years later the cancer returned and eventually the beloved Pastor lost his battle with cancer and went home to be with the Lord.

I Know for sure that God can and will heal people today, but it only happens when it's in his will to do so. We all hope for good health and miraculous healing for people we love, but Jesus didn't welcome the death of his body for us to avoid death in this life. All I know is that God in his wisdom sacrificed his son to reverse sins curse so that our death here isn't the end but is just a step into eternity for the believer.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:17 AM, baptist senior said:

While Jesus was on earth He healed anyone that asked or was asked for by someone else.  What are your thoughts on why there is so much sickness amongst Christians that goes unhealed ? 

Edited by Disciple.Luke

• Members
18 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

We kneew Brother Crockett well, and I always appreciated his testimony and how he stayed steadfast before the Lord during all of his challenges. What a great example of God's grace being sufficient. 

He accomplished much for the. Lord here in Anderson. 

After Leigh passed his son Josh stepped into the pulpit and brought Pastor Doug back to Grace. I knew Josh much more than his father as he and I were the same age. Unfortunately God called Josh back to Greenville, SC where he went to college to Pastor a much larger congregation there (Morningside Baptist). I believe Josh's brother Nathan is teacher at Bob Jones as well so that's where most of the Crockett's live now. 

Josh weathered the storm and made sure Grace was back on its feet before he left for his new calling. Bringing Pastor Doug back was a huge help while the church was looking for a new Pastor.

I know Pastor Leigh really helped Indiana Christian Academy grow during his Pastorate which as you know has been a blessing to me and my son.

Did you know Pastor Don Camp? That was way before my time but I still hear his name and family brought up even after all the years that have passed since he was at Grace.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

He accomplished much for the. Lord here in Anderson. 

After Leigh passed his son Josh stepped into the pulpit and brought Pastor Doug back to Grace. I knew Josh much more than his father as he and I were the same age. Unfortunately God called Josh back to Greenville, SC where he went to college to Pastor a much larger congregation there (Morningside Baptist). I believe Josh's brother Nathan is teacher at Bob Jones as well so that's where most of the Crockett's live now. 

Josh weathered the storm and made sure Grace was back on its feet before he left for his new calling. Bringing Pastor Doug back was a huge help while the church was looking for a new Pastor.

I know Pastor Leigh really helped Indiana Christian Academy grow during his Pastorate which as you know has been a blessing to me and my son.

Did you know Pastor Don Camp? That was way before my time but I still hear his name and family brought up even after all the years that have passed since he was at Grace.

Oh,yes. Pastor Camp was good friends with my parents and many other members of the church that I grew up in. What a great man of God1 I loved hearing him preach!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 1/7/2022 at 6:56 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

I believe God can and does still heal when that's his will, but sickness is an unfortunate consequence of a sinful world.  As Christians we are supposed to be spiritually not of the world but we are still physically in a fallen world where sickness and death comes for everyone.

I would agree with the others who point out that the healings during Jesus earthly ministry were to validate the claims and identity of Jesus of Nazareth. If healings were continually occurring even among believers everyone with enough faith would be virtually immortal and in a way forcing God to be subordinate to human will instead of his own sovereign plan.

The former Pastor here was diagnosed  with brain cancer that was already at a stage that they had to do surgery or he would've died very quickly. While Pastor Leigh Crockett was in the hospital preparing for surgery his IFB congregation were on their knees desperately praying for God to intercede. 

When the doctors did the next brain scan they were shocked to see that the cancer had changed form into a non life threatening stage. God had interceded and prolonged Pastor Crockett's time on earth. This was not some Benny Hinn or TBN  emotional fake healing...this case was documented into the official health books as something that had never been seen or recorded before. 

This Pastor from a small Indiana town was interviewed on national news agencies along with the doctors who verified it was nothing short of a miracle. If you Google the his name there may still be footage of it somewhere on YouTube. 

I knew Pastor Crockett and eventually became a member of Grace Baptist so I know first hand that the story was not only real but a modern miracle. About seven years later the cancer returned and eventually the beloved Pastor lost his battle with cancer and went home to be with the Lord.

I Know for sure that God can and will heal people today, but it only happens when it's in his will to do so. We all hope for good health and miraculous healing for people we love, but Jesus didn't welcome the death of his body for us to avoid death in this life. All I know is that God in his wisdom sacrificed his son to reverse sins curse so that our death here isn't the end but is just a step into eternity for the believer.

I've lived long enough to remember people having many answers to prayer like this, I just don't know why it seldom happens anymore

• Members
On 2/3/2022 at 1:08 PM, baptist senior said:

I've lived long enough to remember people having many answers to prayer like this, I just don't know why it seldom happens anymore

Maybe most professing Christians (in general) have become too worldly or too comfortable in this world to persevere in prayer, like many did in days of old. God and His Word/promises have not changed at all. What has changed then? Modern Christendom - which the Bible now refers to in general as the age of Laodicea. A "Christian" world that overall does not feel the need for the Lord. When we do and when we persevere in prayer, then we see God move.