• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Colons and Semi-colons

• Members

Okay, this forum did say general chats about anything. What is the difference between using a colon and a semi-colon? I have a general idea, but someone recently tried pointing out something in a Bible passage that depended upon punctuation, and I wasn't really sure if his use or understanding of that punctuation was right. It was not what I am asking about here - but wanted to see how these punctuation marks practically broke up thoughts and sentences.

If I did not word this the best, please just focus on the general idea I am discussing. I do not think ANY punctuation will change the meaning of a passage (they break up or help focus on something that is being said), but I am wondering about the practical use of certain ones in reading through a passage (or even for the sake of conversation, using it in secular books). My home life was horrible in high school, and I truly went there my last few years to get away from home. I did not pay much attention to what I was being taught.

To start off, which is a colon and which is a semi-colon? ; or :? Then please define their usage.

This last year, I edited some of my really old poetry (from when I was a new believer), and put in punctuation to make it look and flow better - but I truly don't know if I did all of it correctly. (Yes, I have license with my own poetry, but I am curious if I am using these punctuation marks correctly?)

This was just something I was thinking about this morning as I was reading through some chapters in Deuteronomy and thinking about why ; or : was used in each sentence I was reading. I was thinking about the verses in a literary manner and wondering how/if a certain punctuation lead in to the next thought or led into a clarification of the previous thought, for example. If this truly makes no practical sense to you, please don't respond. I am genuinely seeking to understand English grammar or punctuation a bit better today.

• Members

I wasn't sure if I could find a good definition online or not. This is the definition for colon from Webster's 1828 Dictionary (I was right, thinking this was the colon - : - semi-colon is this - ; - semi meaning half, so half of the same symbol is what I was thinking, Two dots for one mark, only one - semi/half - for the other):

In grammar, a point or character formed thus :, used to mark a pause, greater than that of a semicolon, but less than that of a period; or rather it is used when the sense of the division of a period is complete, so as to admit a full point; but something is added by way of illustration, or the description is continued by an additional remark, without a necessary dependence on the foregoing members of the sentence. Thus,

A brute arrives at a point of perfection he can never pass: in a few years he has all the endowments he is capable of.

The colon is often used before an address, quotation or example. Mr. Gray was followed by Mr. Erskine, who spoke thus: I rise to second the motion of my honorable friend. But the propriety of this depends on the pause, and this depends on the form of introducing the quotation; for after say, said, or a like word, the colon is not used, and seems to be improper. Thus in our version of the scriptures, such members are almost invariably followed by a comma. But Jesus said to them, Ye know not what ye ask.

The use of the colon is not uniform; nor is it easily defined and reduced to rules. Indeed the use of it might be dispensed with without much inconvenience.

Okay, this doesn't help me understand anything:

SEM'ICOLON, n. semi and colon. In grammar, and punctuation, the point ; the mark of pause to be observed- in reading or speaking, of less duration than the colon, double the duration of the comma, or half the duration of the period. It is used to distinguish the conjunct members of the sentence.

But his definition of Colon was helpful. ?

• Moderators

I’ll care! ??

Semi-colons are used to separate parts of a compound sentence where there is no conjunction (word). For example:

”I need milk; I’m going to the stores.”

If a conjunction is present, a comma should be used instead of a semi-colon:

”I need milk, but the store is out.”

So a semi-colon basically pairs two separate statements.

A colon introduces a list, example or quotation, or provides emphasis:

”Please go to the store and get: milk, potatoes and salt.” 

Colons are tricksier, and I find that I rarely use one. (I agree with the thought above that it could be disposed of.) But the correct use of a semi-colon is easy and should NEVER be confused. ? In the example “A brute…” above, a colon is actually used incorrectly in place of a semi-colon. I’m going to guess usage has shifted since 1828.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, SureWord said:

Colons are for when you are adding a list to a sentence.

Semi-colon is when you are joining what would be two contrasting or comparisons in same sentence like in the book of Proverbs.

I never use them even when I should 

As long as the contrasting statements work as stand-alone sentences. ?

I will die on the hill of correct editing any day… can you tell? ??