• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Goliath Was A Prophet!!

• Members

I love it when I find something ironic in the Bible about an enemy of God. Some things are overt, and some things you only see the irony or humour after you think about it for a bit.

For example, God striking the Philistines with hemorrhoids was hilarious. He could have killed them, but He didn't. Worse part afterwards was that they then made golden hemorrhoids to worship. Ugh!

Or the Pharaoh when he replied to Moses and said remove the frogs tomorrow. What? You want one more night with the frogs because you are so stubborn? Yowza!

This was interesting today though. Just reading stuff on the life of David and I thought that what Goliath said here was ironic:

1 Samuel 17:43  And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.

What? an enemy of the Lord speaking truth? Yes, I can agree with Goliath that he was a dog - soon to be a very dead dog (unlike in Ecclesiastes 9:4  For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion).

It is interesting to note that several places in the New Testament refer to the enemies of the Gospel and of God/the people of God as dogs - so Goliath fits right in. Who knew he was a prophet!

Edited by Jerry

• Members

Do not tell me God does not have a sense of humor. Though there is some laughter many would not understand, but when I get the mind of Christ I will laugh also. He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. Psa 2:4

I guess you could call many of Hollywood's female stars pigs.

But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog [is] turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire. 2Pe 2:22
[As] a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, [so is] a fair woman which is without discretion. Pro 11:22