• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Was Jonathan Saved?

• Members

Was Jonathan, Saul's son saved?

If not, why not? Reading a chapter in The Life Of David by Arthur Pink, and he doesn’t think so - but I think that doesn’t fit the facts for several reasons, but wondered what you thought.

Main reasons: he did acts of faith - defeating the Philistines when he was outnumbered. Risking his life in true friendship to defend David. Basically giving up his kingdom for his rival because his family lost the kingship and he knew God had chosen David, so Jonathan gave him his kingly robe. Studying out friendship in the Bible brings out several good points from the example of Jonathan. And his covenant with David was a type of Christ’s covenant with the Father - usually a lost person is not a type of the Saviour and His covenant.

I won't be offended if you don't agree with me. I am just asking for Biblical reasons why or why not. Not because your preacher or some author said he was or wasn't saved, but because of certain passages or Biblical principles, etc. A topic just to generate discussion - so there is more activity on these boards that isn't necessarily controversial, but is still Biblical.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Jerry said:

If not, why not? Reading a chapter in The Life Of David by Arthur Pink, and he doesn’t think so - but I think that doesn’t fit the facts for several reasons, but wondered what you thought.

Main reasons: he did acts of faith - defeating the Philistines when he was outnumbered. Risking his life in true friendship to defend David. Basically giving up his kingdom for his rival because his family lost the kingship and he knew God had chosen David, so Jonathan gave him his kingly robe. Studying out friendship in the Bible brings out several good points from the example of Jonathan. And his covenant with David was a type of Christ’s covenant with the Father - usually a lost person is not a type of the Saviour and His covenant.

I won't be offended if you don't agree with me. I am just asking for Biblical reasons why or why not. Not because your preacher or some author said he was or wasn't saved, but because of certain passages or Biblical principles, etc. A topic just to generate discussion - so there is more activity on these boards that isn't necessarily controversial, but is still Biblical.

I believe he was a man of faith...as you stated, he gave up being next in line for the throne to David because he knew God had ordained that David be king. He also showed such a supportive friendship  to David in opposition to his own father, something that no ungodly man would have done, in support of David. He's a great example of putting the will of God above what could possibly be for ourselves if we fought against God's plan in the flesh. If Jonathan had done this, he wouldn't have succeeded in becoming King of Israel, and he recognized this fact. 

• Members
On 12/4/2021 at 10:46 AM, Jerry said:

Just because Pink says he is lost is rather funny because he was a Calvinist and unless you endure to the end you were not one of the elect.  A. W. Pink wrote “Endurance in faith is a condition for future salvation. Only those who endure in faith will be saved for eternity”.

From my devotional on the 5th point of Calvinism. I believe he was a saved man. Pink has a lot of good stuff to say but he correct the BOOK and his Calvinism shows up. If you keep that in mind you can get a lot from his work. I do not have The life of David, but his Genesis, Exodus and work on John most of which i have read (you can only read so much, ( i used to read the Bible thought 3 times a year now i an down to two. I need more of THE BOOK  and less of books). Look at Samson's life (good night) but he shows up in Hebrews 11. I agree with you he was a saved man, had guts and had faith in God. We need more Jonathan today. He put God's will first and not his own advancement. He was no me first you next. 

Yours Bro. West

• Members
On 12/4/2021 at 11:46 AM, Jerry said:

I suppose the evidence could be discerned by observing what God's Word reveals about Jonathan's faith in and relationship with the Lord God:

1 Samuel 14:6 -- "And Jonathan said to the young man that bare his armour, Come, and let us go over unto the garrison of these uncircumcised: it may be that the LORD will work for us: for there is no restraint to the LORD to save by many or by few."

1 Samuel 14:10 -- "But if they say thus, Come up unto us; then we will go up: for the LORD hath delivered them into our hand: and this shall be a sign unto us."

1 Samuel 14:12 -- "And the men of the garrison answered Jonathan and his armourbearer, and said, Come up to us, and we will shew you a thing. And Jonathan said unto his armourbearer, Come up after me: for the LORD hath delivered them into the hand of Israel."

1 Samuel 14:45 -- "And the people said unto Saul, Shall Jonathan die, who hath wrought this great salvation in Israel? God forbid: as the LORD liveth, there shall not one hair of his head fall to the ground; for he hath wrought with God this day. So the people rescued Jonathan, that he died not."

1 Samuel 23:16-18 -- "And Jonathan Saul’s son arose, and went to David into the wood, and strengthened his hand in God. And he said unto him, Fear not: for the hand of Saul my father shall not find thee; and thou shalt be king over Israel, and I shall be next unto thee; and that also Saul my father knoweth. And they two made a covenant before the LORD: and David abode in the wood, and Jonathan went to his house."

It appears to me that Jonathan was a definite believer in the Lord God, and that Jonathan walked in the righteousness of the Lord toward David (in spite of his father Saul's unrighteous attitude toward David).  Not really sure what possible evidence an individual could bring against Jonathan's faith in the Lord (and thus against his salvation thereby).