• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Seven Famines In The Bible

• Members

When needed, I have no problem contending for the faith, debating doctrines and understanding of Scripture passages, but sometimes I just want to discuss something Biblical, but not controversial - to see where others stand or perhaps see if I can learn more about something through them and their understanding of the Bible.

I read recently in a commentary that there were seven famines in the Bible. It stuck with me because of the number - God's number of perfection, completion. So I wondered if that statement measured up but I didn't have the time to check it out then. Thought I would put it out there. This is based on my faulty memory and just what comes to mind as I am typing this - not based on ongoing thought or research on the issue (not yet anyway).

What comes immediately to mind are the famines:

1) During the time of Abraham (I can't remember if there were one or two)

2) During Joseph's lifetime

3) Time of Ruth

4) During the Assyrian siege

I'm sure there must be more, but this is an attempt to prompt my digging in on this issue - I have not done so YET. Please feel free to add to, modify, or correct my initial thoughts above. This is just to build a better understanding of what the Bible says about this - not to prove any points or make any doctrine about this issue.

Edited by Jerry