• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Some differences between the Baptist the Pentecostal and Charismatic

• Members

Some Christians were raised Baptist, and never experience attending a Catholic, Pentecostal, or charismatic church, I have. The charismatics and Penecostal‘s are very similar in the services, they pray more than Baptist and their services are much longer than the Baptist, the praise and worship music, is much more longer than the Baptist service. They put the Holy Spirit, to work much harder, than the Baptist. They also fast more than the Baptist church. After salvation they practice works, much harder than the Baptist church do, and they feel if they’re not working they’re not worthy to be bless. I notice that the Catholic Church, once the members are in the temple or building, they are very quiet like if they’re in the library, respect I believe. The Catholics don’t tithe, just love offering. The Catholics don’t share the plan of salvation or excepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior, but they do preach from the Bible, I believe some are saved but it was much harder or they did it on their own. These were just some things, but there’s more.

• Members
19 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Some Christians were raised Baptist, and never experience attending a Catholic, Pentecostal, or charismatic church, I have.

I have attended the RCC church, as well as the Greek Orthodox church. I have also attended many Pentecostal services, especially since I had a cousin who was a Pentecostal evangelist, as was my birth father years ago. I have many family members who are still in the Pentecostal churches, and some of what you're saying about them is true, but not in all instances. 

The charismatics and Penecostal‘s are very similar in the services, they pray more than Baptist and their services are much longer than the Baptist, the praise and worship music, is much more longer than the Baptist service.

Many different denominations have gone "charismatic" ove the years. Some of them are even in the Baptist denomination. The services in these churches are usually a bit longer than the Baptist churches I've been in, but again, not necessarily characteristic of all of the charismatic churches. 

19 minutes ago, E Morales said:

They put the Holy Spirit, to work much harder, than the Baptist.They also fast more than the Baptist church. After salvation they practice works, much harder than the Baptist church do, and they feel if they’re not working they’re not worthy to be bless. I notice that the Catholic Church, once the members are in the temple or building, they are very quiet like if they’re in the library, respect I believe. The Catholics don’t tithe, just love offering. The Catholics don’t share the plan of salvation or excepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior, but they do preach from the Bible, I believe some are saved but it was much harder or they did it on their own. These were just some things, but there’s more.

Could you please explain what you mean by "They put the Holy Spirit to work much harder?" 

I have noticed that in the Pentecostal and charismatic movements they DO witness more than most Baptist churches...to our shame!  Some of them do indeed promote working alongside salvation, but in the ones I know of that my family members attend, it is to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." Basically it is to show that one is truly saved. No works, the person probably wasn't truly saved. I know most Pentecostal and charismatic churches don't hold to this view and view works as necessary for salvation..improper hermeneutics on their part. 

Now as far as Catholics and tithing, again, it's not necessarily so when you state the Catholics don't tithe. This is a blanket statement, and simply isn't true. I know of MANY who DO tithe, give to missions, and also give to very worthwhile things through the RCC. And I know of many who DO present the plan of salvation, the same way that the Baptists do...with their terminology meaning the same as the Baptist church has. It's not common, but there are factions within the RCC that do lead people to the Lord and who live Godly lives. Most I know don't pray to Mary, hold to praying to saints, and don't make confession in the confessionals. They also don't participate in the churches "sacrements." Again this isn't common, as most do hold to the RCC way of doing things. I've tried to convince many of my friends and relatives who are in the RCC and Greek Orthodox churches to "como out from among them," but it's not always so easy to do.

• Members

Brother Tony regarding making the Holy Spirit work harder, they put their request in front of the Holy Spirit and say, I’m going to do this through the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus or when they pray for the sick they tell the Holy Spirit, give me strength to say the right things, and in the name of Jesus. Holy Spirit suit of armor, in the name of Jesus.

• Members
16 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Brother Tony regarding making the Holy Spirit work harder, they put their request in front of the Holy Spirit and say, I’m going to do this through the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus or when they pray for the sick they tell the Holy Spirit, give me strength to say the right things, and in the name of Jesus. Holy Spirit suit of armor, in the name of Jesus.

I've seen this and heard this done inside the Baptist church as well when people have requested the leadership of the church to come and pray over them because of illness...it's not exclusive to the Pentecostals and charismatics. Of course, I know you're aware of this already. 

• Members

We Baptist not all, pray much to the father, in the name of His sonJesus, we don’t mention the Holy Spirit much in our prayers, like they do.

Baptist: father we come to you with humble hearts, and we pray for the recovery of brother John, we ask this in Jesus name.

Pentecostal: dear Lord we come to you in the name of Jesus, and with the power of the Holy Spirit, we pray for  brother John recovers, and with the power of the Holy Spirit, he’ll be with us here again.

• Members
1 hour ago, E Morales said:

We Baptist not all, pray much to the father, in the name of His sonJesus, we don’t mention the Holy Spirit much in our prayers, like they do.

Baptist: father we come to you with humble hearts, and we pray for the recovery of brother John, we ask this in Jesus name.

Pentecostal: dear Lord we come to you in the name of Jesus, and with the power of the Holy Spirit, we pray for  brother John recovers, and with the power of the Holy Spirit, he’ll be with us here again.

I truly wish you'd stop making such blanket statements. They're not accurate by any means. They may equate to YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE, but I can assure you they're not all like this. You truly can't speak for Baptists as a whole.  

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

I truly wish you'd stop making such blanket statements. They're not accurate by any means. They may equate to YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE, but I can assure you they're not all like this. You truly can't speak for Baptists as a whole.  

I think you did not read this,  judge Tony...  We Baptist not all, pray much to the father,

You fall short in being a monitor here, sorry.

Edited by E Morales

• Members
8 hours ago, E Morales said:

I think you did not read this,  judge Tony...  We Baptist not all, pray much to the father,

You fall short in being a monitor here, sorry.

Again a false accusation from a person who can't handle debate or disagreement. I saw your "we Baptist not all", but you still have a habit of making inflammatory statements. You falll short of being clear and concise in your statements...I understand English probably isn't your second language, but it would help in you tried a bit harder with punctuation and context. 

• Members

The Holy Spirit doesn’t glorify himself… that is why.

Joh 16:13  Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Joh 16:14  He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Joh 16:15  All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you

Edited by Hugh_Flower

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 11/27/2021 at 3:46 PM, BrotherTony said:

All I know is Holy Spirit magnifies the Son and the Son magnifies the Father. This seems like the order in Writ. Jesus never prayed to the Holy Spirit, but to the Father. I do not know what all Baptist believe, but according to a handbook I have there is around 24. for I am not a church hopper.

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. John 16:13

• Members
4 minutes ago, Bro. West said:

Sorry are we talking about creation in pictures or the topic of the Holy Spirit. Just got back from street preaching and I am in a real good mood

So, basically it had nothing to do with what you quoted from me...thanks.

• Members

I visited a Charismatic Baptist church years ago. Doing the rounds to churches that financially supported the camp. The church was a supporter of a troubled teen camp I was a staff member and resident at in PA. I guess my Pastor was unaware of this and we were quite shocked at the clown show taking place during the service. Rock music, both "pastors" (the wife was a pastor too) on stage preaching over each other, teenagers making out in the pews, tongues all over, no rolling in the alleys at least.  

• Members
45 minutes ago, SureWord said:

I visited a Charismatic Baptist church years ago. Doing the rounds to churches that financially supported the camp. The church was a supporter of a troubled teen camp I was a staff member and resident at in PA. I guess my Pastor was unaware of this and we were quite shocked at the clown show taking place during the service. Rock music, both "pastors" (the wife was a pastor too) on stage preaching over each other, teenagers making out in the pews, tongues all over, no rolling in the alleys at least.  

That church only had the Baptist name. Are they lost or not Saved, they can be one of the Seven Churches.