• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Explaining cessationism

• Members

Greetings, I've been trying to reason with some charismatics and Pentecostals on how the perfect thing, or that which is perfect is the completed canon from 1 co 13.. but having difficulty reasoning it out. 

How would you reason out that the gifts have ceases?

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 11/22/2021 at 3:09 AM, 360watt said:

Greetings, I've been trying to reason with some charismatics and Pentecostals on how the perfect thing, or that which is perfect is the completed canon from 1 co 13.. but having difficulty reasoning it out. 

How would you reason out that the gifts have ceases?

the offices of the Prophets and Apostles are now closed, as no futher revelations coming from God, and the signs and wonder gifts are gone, but still others do remain! And Gid can still even now do healings and miracles as he chooses, just none gifted by Him to do such as Apostles were!

• Members

1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Trace out the word perfect - some of the references are to God's Word. Perfect means complete. We have the complete Word of God with the closing of the book of Revelation, and told not to add to or subtract from it in Rev 22:18-19.

Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

Three places in the NT the Word of God is referred to as a glass/mirror.

1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

James 1:23-25 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

• Members
On 1/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, Jerry said:

This study which I just reposted on my site may be of help to you. It is an old study of mine, but God's Word is always relevant.

https://ewministries.earnestlycontending.com/1-corinthians-1312/

Yeah this is very much the same as what I have learned from scripture.  

I ran into difficulty in trying to reason from 1 co 13 alone.  The fact that other passages of scripture refer to Jesus second coming as 'face to face' means the 1 co 13 passage needs other scripture with it to be conclusive