• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

History of Betrothal Position regarding Marriage and Divorce

• Members

What is the history of the Betrothal View regarding Marriage and Divorce? Am I right in understanding that this view does not permit divorce for ANY reason? Which Christian denominations significantly or entirely follow this teaching?

I seem to recall reading a long time ago that this teaching, which apparently has its roots in ancient Judaism, was eventually used by some Christians or denominations as a way of justifying or even manipulating a "no divorce for any reason" stance, even though a literal, straightforward reading of the scriptures in question would seem to clearly allow divorce for one reason only--that of fornication.

Here are the two key verses regarding the betrothal/no divorce issue as follows (correct me if I am wrong):

[Mat 5:32 KJV] 32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

[Mat 19:9 KJV] 9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

So is it true that one or more church denominations (IFB included) held to an allowance for divorce for fornication only and no other reason throughout all of church history, but then at a later era ((I think I recall about 100 years ago) that the IFB or other denomination(s) changed what appears to be the literal allowance to divorce for fornication only to a new view which forbade divorce for any reason, including fornication?

PLEASE ONLY ANSWER THE QUESTIONS REGARDING THE BETROTHAL ISSUE ON MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE FROM THE HISTORICAL VIEWPOINT, WHICH IS WHERE MY QUESTIONS ARE FOCUSED!!! I request this as I know this is a "hot topic" throughout the ages of the church, and will generate endless posts on what Christians believe to be true or false regarding reasons for divorce or no divorce, and I don't want us to get bogged down in that issue. Thanks in advance for following this request.