• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jesus' brother James

• Members
23 hours ago, baptist senior said:

In Galatians one Paul tells us that the Lords brother James was One of the Apostles.  Which apostle James could that be? 

This question seems to be based on the apostle Paul's statement in Galatians 1:18-19.  You may not agree with me here, but I do not think that Paul was directly referencing "James the Lord's brother" as one of the apostles.  I view the flow of thought in these verses as follows:

1.  Paul abode with Peter (the apostle) for fifteen days.
2.  Paul did not meet with any of the other apostles.
3.  On the other hand, Paul did meet with James the Lord's brother (NOT James the apostle).

(Note: Yes, I recognize that the wording in English seems to communicate the possibility that James was one of the apostles; but I do not believe that is the actual intention of the passage.  I do not believe that the word "except" is intended to focus upon an exception to meeting with one of the apostles, but is intended to focus upon an exception to meeting with any other person.  I hope I am expressing myself clearly enough, and that it is helpful.)

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

In the New Testament, especially the book of Acts, there are several times that those working with Paul and other workers in the early church were referred to apostles - and they were not one of the twelve (called apostles, but in a more limited or different sense than the 12). I believe the James referred to in Galatians and who wrote the book of James was literally one of the Lord Jesus' half brothers (and brother to Jude who wrote the book of Jude). He and his brethren got saved sometime after the resurrection of Christ and before they gathered together in Acts 1. Also, 1 Corinthians 15:7 states that Jesus appeared to James after He arose. He was the pastor of the Jerusalem church and he was the one who gave the final decision in Acts 15.

Acts 14:14 Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,

Romans 16:7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Galatians 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.