• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

It is well, it is well with my soul…

TheGloryLand

• Members
30 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Man was created in the image of God,...body, SOUL, and spirit....All three are required for a person to be human. 

So my brother, when we receive the Holy Spirit after receiving Christ, as our personal Savior, we had the Spirit of life already?

• Members
3 hours ago, E Morales said:

So my brother, when we receive the Holy Spirit after receiving Christ, as our personal Savior, we had the Spirit of life already?

The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is something completely different....Where, may I ask, do you get your theological positions. Many of them seem quite off base scripturally. 

• Members
31 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is something completely different....Where, may I ask, do you get your theological positions. Many of them seem quite off base scripturally. 

I’m just asking because I don’t have the answer, if I was asked.  It’s not my belief.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

It is well with my soul because now my soul may be tied to a clean spirit.  
? and it is destined for glory! My spirit is not the spirit I was born with, but born again with!  ?

Care to explain that theologically? When you were born, you were body, soul, and spirit...None of those died when you became a Christian, if you became a Christian. You received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as the comforter/teacher/helper to guide you through your Christian life. 

Just now, E Morales said:

I’m just asking because I don’t have the answer, if I was asked.  It’s not my belief.

I would HOPE that you would be a bit more theologically sound if you're a member of a Baptist church. Glad to know it's NOT your belief. 

• Members
24 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Care to explain that theologically? When you were born, you were body, soul, and spirit...None of those died when you became a Christian, if you became a Christian. You received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as the comforter/teacher/helper to guide you through your Christian life. 

I would HOPE that you would be a bit more theologically sound if you're a member of a Baptist church. Glad to know it's NOT your belief. 

Brother Tony, there’s many gospel music out there supposedly godly music, that are saying words that are not right. Singing things that are not correct, but they sound nice to the ears. Even Baptist

So I can say, it is well with my Soul or Spirit for this Hymn.

• Members

I might be wrong - but reading 2 Kings 4 recently, I think the chorus is in part based on that chapter.

2 Kings 4:23 And he said, Wherefore wilt thou go to him to day? it is neither new moon, nor sabbath. And she said, It shall be well.

2 Kings 4:26 Run now, I pray thee, to meet her, and say unto her, Is it well with thee? is it well with thy husband? is it well with the child? And she answered, It is well.

2 Kings 4:27 And when she came to the man of God to the hill, she caught him by the feet: but Gehazi came near to thrust her away. And the man of God said, Let her alone; for her soul is vexed within her: and the LORD hath hid it from me, and hath not told me.

The Shunammite's son died, and her soul was vexed - but according to Hebrews 11:35, she had faith that the man of God would be able to bring her son back to life. I think the hymnwriter was meditating in part on this chapter when he composed that hymn, but the hymn looks beyond the physical events of our lives, and trusts that the Lord is in control - and it is and will be well with the true believer's soul, regardless what happens in our life.

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

My spirit was dead before I was born again 

Edited by Hugh_Flower

• Administrators

The writer of this hymn, Horatio Spafford, composed this out of a heart of sorrow for the loss if his child at sea and a heart of thankful assurance that his soul was destined for heaven, even in the midst of this great loss.

• Members
8 hours ago, Hugh_Flower said:

My spirit was dead before I was born again 

According to the Bible, though physically alive, ALL of our being was dead in trespasses and sin. Our body is dead in the fact that we are dying a little more each day, which, if Adam had not fallen in the Garden, we would not be experiencing now. 

• Members
9 hours ago, E Morales said:

Brother Tony, there’s many gospel music out there supposedly godly music, that are saying words that are not right. Singing things that are not correct, but they sound nice to the ears. Even Baptist

So I can say, it is well with my Soul or Spirit for this Hymn.

We, indeed, do have many hymns and songs sung in our churches that aren't theologically sound. But, there is a difference between a soul and a spirit. 

I have had many people us this graphic for the explanation of what a body, soul, and spirit are. I don't use it personally, but have posted it as a further example of the differences between the three parts of our being.

image.png

• Members
13 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

We, indeed, do have many hymns and songs sung in our churches that aren't theologically sound. But, there is a difference between a soul and a spirit. 

I have had many people us this graphic for the explanation of what a body, soul, and spirit are. I don't use it personally, but have posted it as a further example of the differences between the three parts of our being.

image.png

Looking at this here it does mention the breath of life and spirit together and it also mention that those that passed away are asleep today many believe is to be present with the lord after departure, those that are born again. Can you explain to me why some believe that we will be asleep and some believe that we will be immediately with the Lord, those that are saved. 

Thanks