• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Members should have more access to their posts

• Members
4 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

The time has been changed to 24 hours. The reason why we are not making it longer is because we've had problems in the past of people editing their posts and replacing the post with a simple period . 

The only problem now is once a person post anything here, it’s written in stone. You can not update or delete.  So be very careful what you post. Don’t say something that you might regret later. 

• Members
11 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I find this quite true...especially on the Southern Baptists forum, especially when it comes to their discussion of Calvinism! I don't block people for the most part, but in the past six months on that forum, I've had to block four from the Arminian position, and at least seven from the Calvinist position. I'm a neutral there, and I try to be fair to both sides...but insults, ad hominem attacks, etc., get people blocked now in that particular forum. Christians should know better. I've found some of the same here in this forum, not necessarily over the subject mentioned above...but we do have our attackers.

What Southern Baptist forum?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, E Morales said:

The only problem now is once a person post anything here, it’s written in stone. You can not update or delete.  So be very careful what you post. Don’t say something that you might regret later. 

There is the option of asking a mod to edit. It might seem to be a bit of a pain, but it is an option. Just FYI. (and I agree with Salyan - we need to be careful not to post something we'll regret later anyway)

• Administrators

While it is true that members cannot delete, they can update or modify. Two options for this are:

1. use the quote option and add or subtract what you want to edit or modify.

2. use the reply option and edit or modify.

In both cases it would be wise and prudent to add text saying what you are doing, so people don't get confused.
Of course the old post will still be there, but if you make it clear that you are editing or modifying it, there should be no confusion.

• Members
6 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

There is the option of asking a mod to edit. It might seem to be a bit of a pain, but it is an option. Just FYI. (and I agree with Salyan - we need to be careful not to post something we'll regret later anyway)

Thanks for the update, I will need to be more careful what's posted, and don't tell anyone that I once was a alter boy.  ?

• Administrators

I will add that if it is past the 24 hours to edit and a member feels strongly about removing something that is embarrassing/posted in the flesh, that we have no problem editing and/or removing the thread if necessary.

The whole point is that it was abused in the past and this is how we decided to handle it going forward.  

• Members
On 11/14/2021 at 3:34 AM, E Morales said:

Thanks for the update, I will need to be more careful what's posted, and don't tell anyone that I once was a alter boy.  ?

I am not knocking you for something from your past - but wanted to ask if this was a joke or if it really was part of your background? If so, are you a Catholic or Anglican? I am wondering if this is perhaps why there is such a difference in your understanding or in some of your positions? Or perhaps it is a matter of not being saved very long (or not being seriously into the Bible until recently). I know we have clashed a bit recently (as well as with another poster or two), not understanding where you are coming from, so was just trying to figure some things out. I am not knocking you - though if you are from an unsound doctrinal background or not solid church, it would definitely be good to keep digging into the Word of God and doing your best to seek what the Lord has to say on doctrine, etc.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

• 8 months later...
  • Members
On 11/16/2021 at 3:33 PM, Jerry said:

I am not knocking you for something from your past - but wanted to ask if this was a joke or if it really was part of your background? If so, are you a Catholic or Anglican? I am wondering if this is perhaps why there is such a difference in your understanding or in some of your positions? Or perhaps it is a matter of not being saved very long (or not being seriously into the Bible until recently). I know we have clashed a bit recently (as well as with another poster or two), not understanding where you are coming from, so was just trying to figure some things out. I am not knocking you - though if you are from an unsound doctrinal background or not solid church, it would definitely be good to keep digging into the Word of God and doing your best to seek what the Lord has to say on doctrine, etc.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

I am sorry for the confusion, I am a man of God. I got Saved in 1986. In a Independent Baptist Church. I’m not confused, and understand that Christ, is in the Old Testament, and in the New Testament. 

• Members
On 11/12/2021 at 3:01 AM, Rebecca said:

I just checked one of my past posts from September 30th and there is an edit button. I clicked it just to see and it seems I could edit the post if I wanted to. Although, I am using my laptop, perhaps the layout and options are different if you're on a phone or using an app?

I use 'Edit' from the drop down after clicking the three dots in the upper right corner.

One thing I would like to see again is individual's ability to freeze further comment on their own thread. Kind of a self-moderating ability when things begin to drift off course or dive into an argument.