• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Members should have more access to their posts

• Administrators

You have the ability to edit your post, but not delete them. The reasoning for not being able to delete them is because then it is unfair to the those who posted after you. When members were deleting posts, the threads then did not make sense anymore and the context many times changed.

In reality, you are having a conversation. Once one person deletes part of the conversation, it can change the meaning. In that case the whole thread has to be removed and that is not fair to those who took the time to reply. 

I'll go check now to make sure, but we used to allow members to close the threads they started. That way if a person who starts a thread no longer wants that thread to go on, they can close it from future replies. 

• Members

Public posts are a matter of public record as well. I haven't seen it here much but in the past many people in certain forums would intentionally goad people into saying certain things then deleting key posts to make the person seem to say something they actually weren't.

• Members
43 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

You have the ability to edit your post, but not delete them. The reasoning for not being able to delete them is because then it is unfair to the those who posted after you. When members were deleting posts, the threads then did not make sense anymore and the context many times changed.

In reality, you are having a conversation. Once one person deletes part of the conversation, it can change the meaning. In that case the whole thread has to be removed and that is not fair to those who took the time to reply. 

I'll go check now to make sure, but we used to allow members to close the threads they started. That way if a person who starts a thread no longer wants that thread to go on, they can close it from future replies. 

When I press select to edit all I see is Share or Report Only. I spelled wrong where for wear and couldn’t do anything about it.

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, E Morales said:

When I press select to edit all I see is Share or Report Only. I spelled wrong where for wear and couldn’t do anything about it.

When you press "edit", the window that opens is the edit window, you simply put your cursor where you want to change something and change it. The board software does not limit your ability to edit, I do it all the time, as others do also.

• Members
1 hour ago, John Young said:

Public posts are a matter of public record as well. I haven't seen it here much but in the past many people in certain forums would intentionally goad people into saying certain things then deleting key posts to make the person seem to say something they actually weren't.

1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

When you press "edit", the window that opens is the edit window, you simply put your cursor where you want to change something and change it. The board software does not limit your ability to edit, I do it all the time, as others do also.

I believe we have a time limit like Pastor Matt mention.

Pretty much after that time limit you’re locked out everything else.

• Members

I just checked one of my past posts from September 30th and there is an edit button. I clicked it just to see and it seems I could edit the post if I wanted to. Although, I am using my laptop, perhaps the layout and options are different if you're on a phone or using an app?

• Members
2 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I just checked one of my past posts from September 30th and there is an edit button. I clicked it just to see and it seems I could edit the post if I wanted to. Although, I am using my laptop, perhaps the layout and options are different if you're on a phone or using an app?

Yes, I’m using my iphone, I see the three dots I click, then it says share or report, now at the bottom I clicked Quote “and I was able to make the change. But it posted the whole message again at the bottom of the page. The post that said, Australia SOS needs help post. You can see in the message the word (where) was replace with wear masks. I’ll try my computer later thanks.

• Members
On 11/11/2021 at 9:21 AM, PastorMatt said:

This is a good thing. I can't remember how many times on Facebook I got into a discussion and the other person because rude and hateful, only to delete the entire conversation and suddenly I'm finding friends involved unfriending me. Apparently, they deleted the conversation, then lied about what was said. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Danny Carlton said:

This is a good thing. I can't remember how many times on Facebook I got into a discussion and the other person because rude and hateful, only to delete the entire conversation and suddenly I'm finding friends involved unfriending me. Apparently, they deleted the conversation, then lied about what was said. 

I find this quite true...especially on the Southern Baptists forum, especially when it comes to their discussion of Calvinism! I don't block people for the most part, but in the past six months on that forum, I've had to block four from the Arminian position, and at least seven from the Calvinist position. I'm a neutral there, and I try to be fair to both sides...but insults, ad hominem attacks, etc., get people blocked now in that particular forum. Christians should know better. I've found some of the same here in this forum, not necessarily over the subject mentioned above...but we do have our attackers.