Jump to content
Online Baptist Community

Members should have more access to their posts


TheGloryLand
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

You have the ability to edit your post, but not delete them. The reasoning for not being able to delete them is because then it is unfair to the those who posted after you. When members were deleting posts, the threads then did not make sense anymore and the context many times changed.

In reality, you are having a conversation. Once one person deletes part of the conversation, it can change the meaning. In that case the whole thread has to be removed and that is not fair to those who took the time to reply. 

I'll go check now to make sure, but we used to allow members to close the threads they started. That way if a person who starts a thread no longer wants that thread to go on, they can close it from future replies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Public posts are a matter of public record as well. I haven't seen it here much but in the past many people in certain forums would intentionally goad people into saying certain things then deleting key posts to make the person seem to say something they actually weren't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
43 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

You have the ability to edit your post, but not delete them. The reasoning for not being able to delete them is because then it is unfair to the those who posted after you. When members were deleting posts, the threads then did not make sense anymore and the context many times changed.

In reality, you are having a conversation. Once one person deletes part of the conversation, it can change the meaning. In that case the whole thread has to be removed and that is not fair to those who took the time to reply. 

I'll go check now to make sure, but we used to allow members to close the threads they started. That way if a person who starts a thread no longer wants that thread to go on, they can close it from future replies. 

When I press select to edit all I see is Share or Report Only. I spelled wrong where for wear and couldn’t do anything about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
32 minutes ago, E Morales said:

When I press select to edit all I see is Share or Report Only. I spelled wrong where for wear and couldn’t do anything about it.

When you press "edit", the window that opens is the edit window, you simply put your cursor where you want to change something and change it. The board software does not limit your ability to edit, I do it all the time, as others do also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, John Young said:

Public posts are a matter of public record as well. I haven't seen it here much but in the past many people in certain forums would intentionally goad people into saying certain things then deleting key posts to make the person seem to say something they actually weren't.

 

1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

When you press "edit", the window that opens is the edit window, you simply put your cursor where you want to change something and change it. The board software does not limit your ability to edit, I do it all the time, as others do also.

I believe we have a time limit like Pastor Matt mention.

 

Pretty much after that time limit you’re locked out everything else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

I just checked one of my past posts from September 30th and there is an edit button. I clicked it just to see and it seems I could edit the post if I wanted to. Although, I am using my laptop, perhaps the layout and options are different if you're on a phone or using an app?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I just checked one of my past posts from September 30th and there is an edit button. I clicked it just to see and it seems I could edit the post if I wanted to. Although, I am using my laptop, perhaps the layout and options are different if you're on a phone or using an app?

Yes, I’m using my iphone, I see the three dots I click, then it says share or report, now at the bottom I clicked Quote “and I was able to make the change. But it posted the whole message again at the bottom of the page. The post that said, Australia SOS needs help post. You can see in the message the word (where) was replace with wear masks. I’ll try my computer later thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2021 at 9:21 AM, PastorMatt said:

You have the ability to edit your post, but not delete them. The reasoning for not being able to delete them is because then it is unfair to the those who posted after you. When members were deleting posts, the threads then did not make sense anymore and the context many times changed.

In reality, you are having a conversation. Once one person deletes part of the conversation, it can change the meaning. In that case the whole thread has to be removed and that is not fair to those who took the time to reply. 

I'll go check now to make sure, but we used to allow members to close the threads they started. That way if a person who starts a thread no longer wants that thread to go on, they can close it from future replies. 

This is a good thing. I can't remember how many times on Facebook I got into a discussion and the other person because rude and hateful, only to delete the entire conversation and suddenly I'm finding friends involved unfriending me. Apparently, they deleted the conversation, then lied about what was said. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, Danny Carlton said:

This is a good thing. I can't remember how many times on Facebook I got into a discussion and the other person because rude and hateful, only to delete the entire conversation and suddenly I'm finding friends involved unfriending me. Apparently, they deleted the conversation, then lied about what was said. 

I find this quite true...especially on the Southern Baptists forum, especially when it comes to their discussion of Calvinism! I don't block people for the most part, but in the past six months on that forum, I've had to block four from the Arminian position, and at least seven from the Calvinist position. I'm a neutral there, and I try to be fair to both sides...but insults, ad hominem attacks, etc., get people blocked now in that particular forum. Christians should know better. I've found some of the same here in this forum, not necessarily over the subject mentioned above...but we do have our attackers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

The time has been changed to 24 hours. The reason why we are not making it longer is because we've had problems in the past of people editing their posts and replacing the post with a simple period . 

The only problem now is once a person post anything here, it’s written in stone. You can not update or delete.  So be very careful what you post. Don’t say something that you might regret later. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I find this quite true...especially on the Southern Baptists forum, especially when it comes to their discussion of Calvinism! I don't block people for the most part, but in the past six months on that forum, I've had to block four from the Arminian position, and at least seven from the Calvinist position. I'm a neutral there, and I try to be fair to both sides...but insults, ad hominem attacks, etc., get people blocked now in that particular forum. Christians should know better. I've found some of the same here in this forum, not necessarily over the subject mentioned above...but we do have our attackers.

What Southern Baptist forum?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lady Administrators
5 hours ago, E Morales said:

The only problem now is once a person post anything here, it’s written in stone. You can not update or delete.  So be very careful what you post. Don’t say something that you might regret later. 

There is the option of asking a mod to edit. It might seem to be a bit of a pain, but it is an option. Just FYI. (and I agree with Salyan - we need to be careful not to post something we'll regret later anyway)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

  • Recent Achievements

  • Tell a friend

    Love Online Baptist Community? Tell a friend!
  • Members

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Eagle One

      Havent been on for years, but have been studying with Jews for Jesus weekly Bible Study which has been wonderful.  Not sure any of your views on that group, but if you are from a Jewish background a great place to be grounded in the word and to learn.
      · 0 replies
    • Barbara Ann

      I am a researcher and writer at Watch Unto Prayer which I started 25 years ago. On this website there are many well-documented articles and audio programs by myself and other researchers whose ministry is to expose the endtime apostasy of the Church. Now more than ever Christians need information in order to identify and avoid the various deceptions that are in nearly all the churches.
      My husband and I attended the IFB Bible Baptist Church of James Knox a couple of years ago. We left the church after we were informed by the assistant pastor that we were not allowed to express views to other members that do not agree with the views of the pastor and leaders of the church. We were not introducing heresy but expressing our views concerning the State of Israel. We had never been in a church which forbade private conversations on issues where there are diverse opinions. This we recognized as cultlike control of church members. To inform Christians, my husband, who is also a researcher and writer, started a website on the subject: Zionism Exposed: A Watchman Ministry.
      · 0 replies
    • Free Spirit

      Jesus said:"I am the truth, the way, and the life. No man can come to The Father, but by Me."
      · 0 replies
    • Richg  »  BrotherTony

      Brother Tony, I read your reply on Anderson, I know you all think I'm argumentative but, when you don't agree.....the first thought I had is, I wish you would introduce me to the guy that hasn't sinned, maybe David, that had a man killed so he could commit adultery, yet, he was & is a man after Gods own heart, or maybe Paul the guy that persecuted and had Christians killed, or maybe Richg or Kent H, or even you ! I used to listen to personalities also when I was younger but today and for some time, my only concern is, does it line up with scripture & to me its hilarious that you think "I'm in a fix" LOL, I interpreted what we've discussed perfectly, not because I'm smart, but because with an open mind to things of God, its an easy read.
      · 1 reply
    • Richg  »  Jerry

      I thought you wanted me to stop talking to you !
      · 0 replies
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...