• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Women working outside the home

• Members

No problem with the abbreviations, I learned something today.

Its great to have such a message board, we can all learn from one another, some times I get my inspiration for my Sunday morning message from this great message board and its posters.

I must now take my break, take a short nap, them put together Sunday mornings message, I think the title will be "Happy are Ye."

OH, I don't usually get much sleep at one time, generally at night I will sleep from 3 to 5 hours, the the aches in my head and neck will awaken me, so generally ever day I will take a couple of naps that last 30 minutes to 1 hours each. If I don't I can't pay attention nor concentrate on anything. I suppose that might be my thorn in my side, thankfully God gives me the grace to deal with it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
I see nothing wrong (in general) with women working outside their homes' date=' as long as they are fulfilling their biblical priorities of helping their husbands, loving and training their children, and keeping their homes. Certainly, there is not a one-size-fits-all answer to the question of whether a woman should work outside her home. [b']There are many factors to consider.

Good post, Annie, even though I only quoted part of it. But this is the part that I wanted to emphasize, and says basically what I have been saying. The factors to consider would vary from home to home. It is absolutely grand if the woman can always stay home and I'm thrilled for everyone that can. I was so thankful that I was able to be home with my son for as many years as I was.

As to the points about the men being needed at home...my hubby and I were just discussing that recently! In the society we live in today, it seems like everyone has to be doing more and more and more...and are never home. My dentist (I just got back from there...ouch) travels 2 hours one way EVERY DAY to work. That's four hours on the road! And he puts in at least 8 hours (there are some days the office is open a little longer) 5 days a week, and works on Saturdays, too. He's a great dentist...but just how much time is spent with his wife and son? I think we've all heard that saying, "It's quality time, not quantity time that counts." I beg to differ! Yes, the time needs to be quality - but there needs to be a quantity of it, too. Else, as was mentioned, the wives aren't going to be loved right (how can a man really know his wife if he doesn't spend time with her?) and the kids need his time - for love, for training, for discipline, for fun and so forth.

Guest Guest
No problem with the abbreviations, I learned something today.

Its great to have such a message board, we can all learn from one another, some times I get my inspiration for my Sunday morning message from this great message board and its posters.

I must now take my break, take a short nap, them put together Sunday mornings message, I think the title will be "Happy are Ye."

OH, I don't usually get much sleep at one time, generally at night I will sleep from 3 to 5 hours, the the aches in my head and neck will awaken me, so generally ever day I will take a couple of naps that last 30 minutes to 1 hours each. If I don't I can't pay attention nor concentrate on anything. I suppose that might be my thorn in my side, thankfully God gives me the grace to deal with it.

Have a great rest, Jerry! :smile I know what you mean...about learning something today. I learn something new everyday from you fine people...that I can apply to my life. :pray It is like a whirlwind of information all at one time. :thumb I have a "thorn in my side" as well...and YES...God gives us the grace to deal with it. God bless you, and thank you for the fellowship this morning, :bible: :thumb

candlelight

Guest Guest

Good post, Annie, even though I only quoted part of it. But this is the part that I wanted to emphasize, and says basically what I have been saying. The factors to consider would vary from home to home. It is absolutely grand if the woman can always stay home and I'm thrilled for everyone that can. I was so thankful that I was able to be home with my son for as many years as I was.

As to the points about the men being needed at home...my hubby and I were just discussing that recently! In the society we live in today, it seems like everyone has to be doing more and more and more...and are never home. My dentist (I just got back from there...ouch) travels 2 hours one way EVERY DAY to work. That's four hours on the road! And he puts in at least 8 hours (there are some days the office is open a little longer) 5 days a week, and works on Saturdays, too. He's a great dentist...but just how much time is spent with his wife and son? I think we've all heard that saying, "It's quality time, not quantity time that counts." I beg to differ! Yes, the time needs to be quality - but there needs to be a quantity of it, too. Else, as was mentioned, the wives aren't going to be loved right (how can a man really know his wife if he doesn't spend time with her?) and the kids need his time - for love, for training, for discipline, for fun and so forth.

Excellent post, LuAnne! ITA!!! :thumb

candlelight

Guest Guest

Annie... :goodpost::amen::clap: :thumb Very well said. Your hubby is doing what God would want, and ultimately what is best for his family. Bravo!...Hawaii...has he thought this over clearly enough?...Just kidding. :lol

candlelight

• Members

I've got one more though, them I have to shut the computer down for a bit.

You stated, "It is absolutely grand if the woman can always stay home."

How many mothers could stay home, if only the husband and wife will or would curb their wants, learn to be happy in our Lord and learn the contentment they can have thru our Lord?

For instants, the man who says, I work all of these hours 7 days a week where my family can have all of these material possessions.

I know some families around here where the husband make near or over $100,000 per year, but yet the wife works ad has to just to meet their bills each month.

I also know some husbands around here that make near or over $50,000 per year, yet the wife works just where they can pay all of their bills.

I also know some families who has incomes of well under $50,000 per year and the wife does not work, these husband and wife chose to do without all of these material possession that others work so hard for, choosing that which is best for their family in the long run, that is being content in our Lord. I might add, these families are not neck deep in debt and feel that its not proper for God's children to be neck deep in debt to the point that the husband and wife has to work many hours each week just so they can pay the bill collectors.

My final thought, many more wife's could be at home mothers if the father and mother would not let the lust of the world have so much influence on them.

• Administrators
My final thought, many more wife's could be at home mothers if the father and mother would not let the lust of the world have so much influence on them.

Very true, Jerry 8. But as you pointed out with your wife needing to work for insurance on herself, there are sometimes reasons that go beyond simply wanting more and more. Would that it weren't so, but there it is!

Guest Guest

The Lord Jesus Christ put my hubby and I in a situation where I cannot work outside the home...even if I wanted, too. I am retired...as I have stated from State Teacher's Retirement System of Ohio (I was a Cleveland, OH school teacher for 16 years). I have a medical retirement which includes great health benefits. My (our) 17 year old son is covered under his dad's health insurance. My hubby lost his job in 2002...his boss of 16 years was unable to afford to keep him. Low and behold...we were graciously blessed by the Saviour with my early medical retirement. My hubby is starting his own business...This is his first year. He had a job in-between that for awhile. He is doing what he has always done...auto restoration (specifically, restoring classic automobiles). My income...PRAISE GOD :clap: ...enables him to do this. He is a VERY hard-working man. He also has finished his first year at the IFB Bible institute at our church. I will brag about him...he got straight A's. :clap:

I am preparing to take counseling classes in the fall at "Cornerstone - Among Women"...a Christian agency for women. This goes hand-in-hand w/ my ministry at my church w/ the women at the non-denominational women's shelter. I am preparing to counsel battered women...as the Lord leads me. It is a ministry that is close to my heart. My pastor is very up-lifting to me...as he says, "Who better to help counsel someone...than someone that has been there themselves". Someone mentioned on OB that people need someone to talk to. The Bible is my guide. :bible: The Lord is AWESOME!!!!

candlelight

P.S. ~ This school year my (our) son will be a Senior in High School. His biological dad is also active in his life. :amen: He will be going off to college in a year. His bio. dad is paying his tuition. :thumb

• Administrators
The Lord Jesus Christ put my hubby and I in a situation where I cannot work outside the home...even if I wanted, too. I am retired...as I have stated from State Teacher's Retirement System of Ohio (I was a Cleveland, OH school teacher for 16 years). I have a medical retirement which includes great health benefits. My (our) 17 year old son is covered under his dad's health insurance. My hubby lost his job in 2002...his boss of 16 years was unable to afford to keep him. Low and behold...we were graciously blessed by the Saviour with my early medical retirement. My hubby is starting his own business...This is his first year. He had a job in-between that for awhile. He is doing what he has always done...auto restoration (specifically, restoring classic automobiles). My income...PRAISE GOD :clap: ...enables him to do this. He is a VERY hard-working man. He also has finished his first year at the IFB Bible institute at our church. I will brag about him...he got straight A's. :clap:

I am preparing to take counseling classes in the fall at "Cornerstone - Among Women"...a Christian agency for women. This goes hand-in-hand w/ my ministry at my church w/ the women at the non-denominational women's shelter. I am preparing to counsel battered women...as the Lord leads me. It is a ministry that is close to my heart. My pastor is very up-lifting to me...as he says, "Who better to help counsel someone...than someone that has been there themselves". Someone mentioned on OB that people need someone to talk to. The Bible is my guide. :bible: The Lord is AWESOME!!!!

candlelight

P.S. ~ This school year my (our) son will be a Senior in High School. His biological dad is also active in his life. :amen: He will be going off to college in a year. His bio. dad is paying his tuition. :thumb

:amen:

Guest Guest

Thanks LuAnne. I am so ever greatful to the Lord Jesus Christ for giving me this wonderful life. I love being a wife, mother, and homemaker. It was always my "Cinderella" dream. And, it has come true! Only Jesus could do this for us! :amen: I am trying to be a good Godly wife. :smile My husband makes it easy for me. He is a simple man. And, I so appreciate that! He comes from a great Godly family! :thumb

candlelight

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I worked outside the home until we had children (and I worked at home). Then I worked at home with 7 children. Then I worked at our Christian School part time when my youngest was in K-4 because my husband needed my help (and I worked at home). Then I worked full time at our Christian School (and I worked at home) because my husband needed my help. Then I came home and worked for four years. This year I am going to work part time at our Christian School again because my husband needs my help. (Oh, yeah, and I'll work at home!)

My Point? It's all WORK! :lol: :wave:

• Administrators
I worked outside the home until we had children (and I worked at home). Then I worked at home with 7 children. Then I worked at our Christian School part time when my youngest was in K-4 because my husband needed my help (and I worked at home). Then I worked full time at our Christian School (and I worked at home) because my husband needed my help. Then I came home and worked for four years. This year I am going to work part time at our Christian School again because my husband needs my help. (Oh' date=' yeah, and I'll [u']work at home!)

My Point? It's all WORK! :lol::wave:
:clap::clap: Too true, JoBee!! :Green

• Members

Well I did get a full time office job outside of the home a couple weeks ago. It's been great! I get home before my husband so I have time to get dinner ready for him as he walks through the door and the house work hasn't slacked. Laundry is up-to-date all of the time too. The only thing that's suffered is my little kitty gets lonely during the day when I'm gone and gets all excited and meows like crazy when I get home. But like I said before, this job is just to get a savings for a future house and I will only have it until we have kids.

To the person that said women who get bored at home should look to the olden days for what to do, that doesn't work for me. I was bored at home and didn't have enough to do and was filled with idle time because of our living situation. We live in a smaller apartment in a big city which means absolutely nothing is to be done outside, the complex has people that do everything. I have no yard, no garden, nothing outside. Like I said, it's small. Before we moved we had a 1 bedroom apartment, now we have a 2 bedroom townhouse. I can clean the entire thing top to bottom in just a couple hours. We don't have any kids yet and my husband is gone at work all day so it just doesn't get cluttered or messy as quickly as it will in years to come. And I do make fresh bread (without a breadmaker even) and all of our meals from scratch. I am just at a loss of what else I could have done at home to fill my time.

• Members

I have no problem with women working outside the home. What if heaven forbid her husband fell ill or died? How would she be able to make money and pay the bills? I believe that girls teens as well as boys, should work. This teaches them how to be responsible and to apply them selves to a job before they leave home.
Angelmiss

I have no problem with women working outside the home. What if heaven forbid her husband fell ill or died? How would she be able to make money and pay the bills? I believe that girls teens as well as boys, should work. This teaches them how to be responsible and to apply them selves to a job before they leave home.
Angelmiss

I believe it also teaches them the ways of the world. We want to be careful about when and where we allow our boys to work. Ideally we'll be able to set them up with a home business. Both my husband and I know the dangers of pushing teens out into the working world.