• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Women working outside the home

• Members

For all the women who say staying at home is boring, here are a few websites that may help you out. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to take up some of the old traditions that kept women a hundred years ago busy all day. I'm sure your husband would appreciate coming to home to a fresh loaf of bread baking in the oven, etc... My wife (although, unfortunately she has to work right now) enjoys making her own skirts being that she can't find anything simple and modest enough at the store. Anyway, maybe these websites will give some ideas to get you rolling.

http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com
http://www.newharvesthomestead.com
http://www.theprudentwife.com

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Thanks for the websites. I read LAF all the time but didn't know about the others. I'm really sceptical when any woman tells me that there is "nothing to do" around the house. I live in a very small house and have only one child (with another one due in about a month) and I ALWAYS have something to do, and there is always something that needs doing that doesn't get done because I am busy doing other things.

I am trying to be somewhat of an urban homesteader, but even with all the shortcuts that we do take and the time saving appliances that we do own, there is always something going on here. Women who have "nothing to do" around the house sure aren't looking very hard at all.

With that being said, I believe God made no mistakes when He said that a woman is to be a keeper AT home, which implies He wants her to actually BE home, not be out working elsewhere.

• Members

[quote="MrsW"]Thanks for the websites. I read LAF all the time but didn't know about the others. I'm really sceptical when any woman tells me that there is "nothing to do" around the house. I live in a very small house and have only one child (with another one due in about a month) and I ALWAYS have something to do, and there is always something that needs doing that doesn't get done because I am busy doing other things.

I am trying to be somewhat of an urban homesteader, but even with all the shortcuts that we do take and the time saving appliances that we do own, there is always something going on here. Women who have "nothing to do" around the house sure aren't looking very hard at all.

With that being said, I believe God made no mistakes when He said that a woman is to be a keeper AT home, which implies He wants her to actually BE home, not be out working elsewhere.[/quote]

Hmm you have "only" one child? That in itself creates a LOT of work that a wife who isn't a mother doesn't have. Also, some women are exceptional housekeepers (or live in tiny apartments) and they can truly get all their work done in a day or two....I'm not one of them, but I do know some of them, and they would have a very hard time staying at home all the time. It leads to depression and a whole host of other things (especially women who have just gotten married and are trying to adjust to a new life away from everyone they know).

I think it would be awesome if a woman is able to stay home all the time...if that's what her husband wants. I agree that it is between the wife and her husband, though. I do believe that once children are involved the wife should be home caring for her children. Remember Priscilla in the Bible? She was a tentmaker right along side her husband....wouldn't it be awesome to work with your husband??

Anyways I was thinking about getting a job and then I found out I'm pregnant, so I'm not sure. Not much point in working for a few months and then having to quit....we'll see. I want to homeschool my child though, so working at all after I have kids is a no.

Guest Guest

Even before my son was born there was so much to do. If a woman's husband wants her to work, I believe she should to be obedient, however it is such a shame that men would send their wives out to "work" when they already have a full time job.

• Administrators

Hmm you have "only" one child? That in itself creates a LOT of work that a wife who isn't a mother doesn't have. Also, some women are exceptional housekeepers (or live in tiny apartments) and they can truly get all their work done in a day or two....I'm not one of them, but I do know some of them, and they would have a very hard time staying at home all the time. It leads to depression and a whole host of other things (especially women who have just gotten married and are trying to adjust to a new life away from everyone they know).

I think it would be awesome if a woman is able to stay home all the time...if that's what her husband wants. I agree that it is between the wife and her husband, though. I do believe that once children are involved the wife should be home caring for her children. Remember Priscilla in the Bible? She was a tentmaker right along side her husband....wouldn't it be awesome to work with your husband??

Good thoughts, jp. When we set ourselves up to decide what each and every wife should do, and forget that God has made them as a help to their husbands, we tread on dangerous territory.

The simple fact of the matter is, if the home is kept, and the husband and wife agree, there is no sin in the wife working outside the home. And there is no shame in it - no woman has the right to look at another married couple and decide that the husband is doing something horrible to his wife by allowing or needing her to work outside the home.

As far as a woman working with her husband, yes that would be awesome. And we are working towards that end. One of these days.... :thumb

Guest Guest
Even before my son was born there was so much to do. If a woman's husband wants her to work' date=' I believe she should to be obedient, however it is such a shame that men would send their wives out to "work" when they already have a full time job.[/quote']

Thank you, MrsW...One of my SIL's on my hubby's side of the family is going through this. My MIL blames her...when in fact it is her hubby who forces her to work for extra $$$. My SIL won't speak up on her own behalf. They have 2 children under the age of 7...this makes no sense to me. He has a good full-time job...why would he force her to work full time, too? :loco I won't even get into more stories on this. I know an IFB man that says "A man should labor for his family b/c a woman labors enough in one child birth to last her husband a life time". As we know women are dying of heart disease and Breast Cancer. We aren't physically and emotionally equipped for this, IMO. Yet, I have always been the primary "bread" winner. Thank the Lord...for an early retirement from teaching. I find myself busier at home than I ever was working. I don't know how I ever worked outside the home. :smile

candlellight

• Administrators

...when in fact it is her hubby who forces her to work for extra $$$. My SIL won't speak up on her own behalf. They have 2 children under the age of 7...this makes no sense to me. He has a good full-time job...why would he force her to work full time, too?
candlellight

With all due respect, candlelight, it really doesn't have to make sense to you. It's between your SIL and her hubby, not you, your MIL, your SIL and her hubby. I'm sure you aren't privy to everything in their home anymore than they are to yours...and shouldn't be. Each man is the head of his home and makes decisions that he sees fit, and as I said in my previous post:
The simple fact of the matter is, if the home is kept, and the husband and wife agree, there is no sin in the wife working outside the home. And there is no shame in it - no woman has the right to look at another married couple and decide that the husband is doing something horrible to his wife by allowing or needing her to work outside the home.

Guest Guest

With all due respect, candlelight, it really doesn't have to make sense to you. It's between your SIL and her hubby, not you, your MIL, your SIL and her hubby. I'm sure you aren't privy to everything in their home anymore than they are to yours...and shouldn't be. Each man is the head of his home and makes decisions that he sees fit, and as I said in my previous post:

H.C...I know. Maybe someone should tell my MIL that. :lol

candlelight

Guest Guest

I just think it's very sad that men want their wives to do the man's job as well as her own. God makes it clear that the MAN is the provider and the woman is the homemaker, but some men want to put the burden of both on the woman. My husband works 12 hour days and does stuff when he gets home to make money. That's because he knows that providing is his job and homemaking is mine. Maybe other men should work more than one job and be a true provider without putting a burden on his wife that God never meant her to have.

• Administrators
I just think it's very sad that men want their wives to do the man's job as well as her own. God makes it clear that the MAN is the provider and the woman is the homemaker' date=' but some men want to put the burden of both on the woman. My husband works 12 hour days and does stuff when he gets home to make money. That's because he knows that providing is his job and homemaking is mine. Maybe other men should work more than one job and be a true provider without putting a burden on his wife that God never meant her to have.[/quote']

You are judging things about which you know naught, Katey-Anne. I think it's very sad that you aren't willing to realize that each man is the head of his home and makes decision for that home. That's wonderful that your husband works all those hours. But that is your husband and your home. And you cannot Biblically put your home structure onto other homes. It isn't your place to judge "other men" anymore than it is another woman's place to judge you for not helping your husband with making $$$. Lydia sold purple and Dorcas made coats. Priscilla worked beside her husband in tentmaking - outside the home. I guess Acquilla didn't know God didn't want that...

God makes it clear that the MAN is the head of his OWN home...and leads it the way God leads him to.

Guest Guest

Hey...HappyChristian...Can I borrow you to "try" to talk to my MIL about meddling in my BIL and SiL's affairs on this topic? :lol I get caught in between and I want to STAY waaay out of it!!!!

candlelight

• Administrators

Hey...HappyChristian...Can I borrow you to "try" to talk to my MIL about meddling in my BIL and SiL's affairs on this topic? :lol I get caught in between and I want to STAY waaay out of it!!!!
candlelight

I don't blame you for wanting to stay out of it. The Bible tells us that when we meddle with things that aren't our business it's like taking a dog by the ears. The dog (at least most of them) will attack! Not fun...

As far as your MIL - I don't know if she is your SIL's mom or your BIL's mom. Whichever one she is mom to needs to take a stand and tell her she needs to butt out. That can be hard to do, but sometimes it's necessary. Early on, my parents were concerned about some things, and were constantly calling me and telling me what my husband needed to do. Finally, he was fed up and told me to tell them to knock it off or I wouldn't be able to talk with them on the phone anymore. Of course, that upset my mom, but I reminded her that she and my dad gave me away to my hubby, and they needed to let go and trust me and our son to him and the Lord. My dad went to his pastor about it and his pastor gave him some very sound advice. He said, "You need to mind your own business." My hubby and my parents are very close now, and have been ever since (they liked him before, too). Maybe that's what your MIL needs...

Guest Guest

I don't blame you for wanting to stay out of it. The Bible tells us that when we meddle with things that aren't our business it's like taking a dog by the ears. The dog (at least most of them) will attack! Not fun...

As far as your MIL - I don't know if she is your SIL's mom or your BIL's mom. Whichever one she is mom to needs to take a stand and tell her she needs to butt out. That can be hard to do, but sometimes it's necessary. Early on, my parents were concerned about some things, and were constantly calling me and telling me what my husband needed to do. Finally, he was fed up and told me to tell them to knock it off or I wouldn't be able to talk with them on the phone anymore. Of course, that upset my mom, but I reminded her that she and my dad gave me away to my hubby, and they needed to let go and trust me and our son to him and the Lord. My dad went to his pastor about it and his pastor gave him some very sound advice. He said, "You need to mind your own business." My hubby and my parents are very close now, and have been ever since (they liked him before, too). Maybe that's what your MIL needs...

She is my BIL's mom...but, she has known my SIL since she was 17. My MIL helped to raise her, when she was neglected and abandoned. A long story. My SIL is very timid, but will talk to me ONLY. I have told her that I don't want to be involved, and it is up to her and my BIL. My FIL has spoken to my MIL about this, too. I don't think it has penetrated yet. Still :pray ing. Thanks for the reminder on the scripture. :thumb My MIL has been saved for 37 years now...when my hubby was 1 years old. I can only :pray about this. Thanks...LuAnne. You are sooo very Godly and wise. :smile

candlelight

• Administrators

She is my BIL's mom...but, she has known my SIL since she was 17. My MIL helped to raise her, when she was neglected and abandoned. A long story. My SIL is very timid, but will talk to me ONLY. I have told her that I don't want to be involved, and it is up to her and my BIL. My FIL has spoken to my MIL about this, too. I don't think it has penetrated yet. Still :pray ing. Thanks for the reminder on the scripture. :thumb My MIL has been saved for 37 years now...when my hubby was 1 years old. I can only :pray about this. Thanks...LuAnne. You are sooo very Godly and wise. :smile

candlelight

Would your hubby be willing to talk to his brother? If he could point out that it is unfair and hurtful to his wife that her hubby doesn't take a stand against his mom's meddling, maybe he would talk to his mom.

Guest Guest

Would your hubby be willing to talk to his brother? If he could point out that it is unfair and hurtful to his wife that her hubby doesn't take a stand against his mom's meddling, maybe he would talk to his mom.

I have asked my hubby that. He has declined b/c his brothers' (all 5 of them) think he should mind his business... just like his mom. :lol: For the past 2 years...since Christmas 2006...my hubby acts like Charles Shultz from the 70's show..."Hogan's Heroes"..."I know nothing!" That is where his family is concerned...anyway. :lol: He is the oldest of 9 kids. :thumb God bless him. :smile He only wanted to help...and he is sooo funny, too.

candlelight