• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Women working outside the home

• Members

[quote="Jerry80871852"][quote="missfiddlyn27"]As much as I really don't want to, I will have to work outside the home just to take care of my HORRIBLE student loan debt. I'm going to have to pay at least $800/ $1000 a month. I genuinely regret going to college because of this. Most likely, my husband will not make enough $$ for at least a few years to allow for us to both pay our debts and live in a tiny apartment. My parents didn't really give me any guidance (they are atheists) about what to do about college. They didn't say anything. They never said, "We would rather you not go b/c of they money." But they never really said, "We want you to go to college." They make slightly too much for me to have received and aid from the government and but they did not have the money to help, so I got stuck with nasty bank loans the whole way. I'm praying for a miracle if kids come into the picture sooner than expected. When I signed up for all this junk, I was young and immature and no one informed me about what I was getting into. I feel that college debt pigeonholes a lot of women into the working-to-the-bone outside the home model.[/quote]

Seems the things is, once the wife starts working the man and wife will always have to have both incomes, its hard to find a stopping point after its started. All of us can think about what we could get if we just had a bit more money.[/quote]

I understand this fact. Believe me, I really really do not want to work like a man but I have no other choice. If I don't pay back my student loans, (which are huge) my parents loose their house. It seems that college expenses trap a lot of ladies who don't really know what they got themselves into. I have no desire for a fancy or a big house. I want to keep my car until it falls apart and get a used one again. I dislike computers and I make most of my clothes. We really don't require a lot of "stuff," but we do like our bills to be paid. As soon as my husband lands a good enough job, I'm definately quitting whatever I'm doing.

As a side note, I know an interesting family that built a totally self-suficcient cabin on non-taxable property ( some kind of thing where it was in the family for years and years or something) and they generate their own electricity and heat their own water which comes from a nearby lake. They have no bills so they have been able to send their kids to really nice private schools and colleges. Talk about putting your children first!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HappyChristian is right in that a man's family is his jurisdiction. However, a man still has to take his orders from God. Our family does believe that God has said a woman is not to work outside the home, so therefore it does not matter what my husband wants, it is still wrong. However, if he TOLD me to go out and work, I would because God tells me to submit to him and I know that God would protect me and hold my husband accountable for violating His word.

• Administrators

[quote="MrsW"]HappyChristian is right in that a man's family is his jurisdiction. However, a man still has to take his orders from God. Our family does believe that God has said a woman is not to work outside the home, so therefore it does not matter what my husband wants, it is still wrong. However, if he TOLD me to go out and work, I would because God tells me to submit to him and I know that God would protect me and hold my husband accountable for violating His word.[/quote]
Good post, except that the man wouldn't necessarily be violating God's command. There are principles throughout scripture that indicate otherwise. (the virtuous woman TOOK her garments to the sellers...leaving home to do business; Lydia was a seller of purple, and she didn't just sell it at home; Priscilla worked beside her husband...and the Bible doesn't indicate whether they were at home or at a separate workplace).

[quote](the virtuous woman TOOK her garments to the sellers...leaving home to do business.[/quote]

Yes but I don't see ANYTHING that says that she stayed there and sold them in the store herself. She took them, sold them to the sellers, and went home, leaving the seller to do the work of selling it to the individual customer. I get so sick of people trying to say that the virtuous woman works outside the home. Besides, the virtuous woman wasn't any woman in particular, it was a list of things that a man should be looking for in a virtuous woman, among other things. Doctrinally it's actually talking about something totally different and my pastor has preached on it but I am not going to get into the doctrinal discussion. Just a pet peeve of mine regarding the virtouos woman.

• Administrators

[quote="MrsW"][quote](the virtuous woman TOOK her garments to the sellers...leaving home to do business.[/quote]

Yes but I don't see ANYTHING that says that she stayed there and sold them in the store herself. She took them, sold them to the sellers, and went home, leaving the seller to do the work of selling it to the individual customer. I get so sick of people trying to say that the virtuous woman works outside the home. Besides, the virtuous woman wasn't any woman in particular, it was a list of things that a man should be looking for in a virtuous woman, among other things. Doctrinally it's actually talking about something totally different and my pastor has preached on it but I am not going to get into the doctrinal discussion. Just a pet peeve of mine regarding the virtouos woman.[/quote]

The Bible doesn't say she went home...although I agree with you that she most likely did. And yes, she wasn't any woman in particular, and that's what makes it so wonderful. She was a woman who helped her husband...and that is what women are to do. Help their hubbies. Wherever he needs that help. As far as doctrinally meaning something else, this list is still what a virtuous woman was to her husband, no matter what a person might want to get doctrinally out of it. It is specific in that her husband and children are mentioned, as are the townfolk (the husband sitting at the gate).

BTW - one thing we need to remember is that the injunction to be keepers at home is given to the younger women...because they have children in the home. If there are no children in the home, there is no sin in the wife working outside of the home - unless she is doing so out of rebellion toward her husband.

• Members

May I ask this question in this topic? Why is it so many think because some one gives their opinion that they are telling them what to do and or correcting them?

Perhaps when talking or as the case is here, posting to other Christians, perhaps we should consider their opinion and not think they're telling us what to do nor correcting us. But that said, sometimes every one us need correcting. Who knows who God may send along to correct us. would it not be sad if God sends someone along to correct us and or to help us by offering an opinion, but we get aggravated at them because the opinion they express does not fit with ours therefore we pay no heed and completely miss God's correcting us?

After all if the truth be known I have no idea what y'all do in your life, and I figure most people here knows hardly anything about others here at OB.

I have not stated that a woman should or should not work outside of the home, but I have mentioned some things about this issue, they are food for thought to help anyone to come to a proper decision. I think when we do something, whatever it is, we need to take heed of this Scripture.

23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
Romans 14:23 (KJV)

And it we can't do it in total faith, don't do it.

I think some come to the wrong conclusion about the virtuous woman, I think they let the worldly ways they have grown up learning, plus how they want things to be, help them to decide what the virtuous woman actually did.

• Administrators
May I ask this question in this topic? Why is it so many think because some one gives their opinion that they are telling them what to do and or correcting them?

Perhaps when talking or as the case is here, posting to other Christians, perhaps we should consider their opinion and not think they're telling us what to do nor correcting us. But that said, sometimes every one us need correcting. Who knows who God may send along to correct us. would it not be sad if God sends someone along to correct us and or to help us by offering an opinion, but we get aggravated at them because the opinion they express does not fit with ours therefore we pay no heed and completely miss God's correcting us?

After all if the truth be known I have no idea what y'all do in your life, and I figure most people here knows hardly anything about others here at OB.

I have not stated that a woman should or should not work outside of the home, but I have mentioned some things about this issue, they are food for thought to help anyone to come to a proper decision. I think when we do something, whatever it is, we need to take heed of this Scripture.

23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
Romans 14:23 (KJV)

And it we can't do it in total faith, don't do it.

I think some come to the wrong conclusion about the virtuous woman, I think they let the worldly ways they have grown up learning, plus how they want things to be, help them to decide what the virtuous woman actually did.

:goodpost:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a woman working outside the home. Women in the Bible worked and earned income. Marriage is a partnership. Sometimes, it takes two incomes to make ends meet. Once children come along, it is best for one parent to be at home and raise the children, but until then, I believe it is wrong to be idle. Sitting at home bored is not helpful to you or your husband.

Anyone who says women should not go to college and improve themselves is sadly mistaken.

• Members
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with women working outside the home' date=' yet I do think that if the job outside the home comes before her husband and her kids then she has misplaced her priorities.[/quote']

I agree and I'm sure the same is true in the inverse; no job a husband has should become before his wife and their children (even if the job is in the Ministry).

• Members
I agree and I'm sure the same is true in the inverse; no job a husband has should become before his wife and their children (even if the job is in the Ministry).
Hmmm ... then where would the military troops come from? Where would emergency personnel and law enforcement come from? If Hurricane Ike came through your town, would you want all the emergency personnel taking care of their families, or yours? Remember, your tax dollars are paying them to protect you.

While I was in the military, my duty to defend my country came before my family. You could argue that by defending my country, I'm putting my family first. But, in reality, when a conflict arose between my family and my military duties, the military usually won out. And it takes a very special wife and relationship to endure that type of lifestyle.

• Members
Hmmm ... then where would the military troops come from? Where would emergency personnel and law enforcement come from? If Hurricane Ike came through your town, would you want all the emergency personnel taking care of their families, or yours? Remember, your tax dollars are paying them to protect you.

While I was in the military, my duty to defend my country came before my family. You could argue that by defending my country, I'm putting my family first. But, in reality, when a conflict arose between my family and my military duties, the military usually won out. And it takes a very special wife and relationship to endure that type of lifestyle.

By serving in the military you are serving to protect your family as well as others, and I understand how you have put it, and thank you for your service, But in your service to your country you were still providing and protecting your family, and once you were home you didn't continue to seperate yourself from them, as a Husband and a military man your job was to fight for this country, You did your duty and came back to your family, this is right, and as a man sometimes our jobs and duties can take us away from our families, but we should strive to keep mom at home to tend to and to raise our families, our respocibility is to our family, and although you were off serving your country you were not doing it for free, you were still providing for them as a father.
I don't believe that in the Ministry you should neglect your family as many pastors are expected to do by their congregations,
Is serving your community in a time of need considered as coming before you family, I really don't think so. I believe it comes along the same lines as serving your country.

Ofcourse God comes first in our lives, before all else. We can serve Him wherever we are.

• Members

You will never hear me contradict what you've said. I served 10 1/2 years, my wife served, my two sons server (one in the Gulf), my brother just retired 28 1/2 years Marines, my brother in law retired with 20 years and my nephew is in Okinawa in the Marines. We totally understand that concept! No argument there from me.