• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Women working outside the home

• Members

Titus 2:5
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Notice how it doesn't say keeper of home, but AT home.

Not to mention that many jobs require the woman to be a crossdresser, aka wearing pants.

Deuteronomy 22:5
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Yes there may be cases where work may need to be done outside of the home in poverty and etc, but that should be a rare exception, not the norm.

If you are able to go on a computer, you have more than most people in the world, I doubt you would NEED to work outside of the home.

Rice x 3 a day, thats what many people around the world survive on.
In most cases you do not NEED a car.
You do not NEED a big house, most people can survive in much smaller spaces.
The list goes on.

From what I've seen most women who choose to disregard that verse is because of the desire for luxury and not basic necessity.

The problem arises is when you compare yourself to people in America, and say you're poor. Versus true poverty found in India and etc.

In Canada from what I understand someone is considered to be in poverty if they make under 30 000 a year. Pure hogwash.

1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Matt 6:19-21
19Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Seems most are laying up treasures on earth.

Heb 11:24-26
24By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
25Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
26Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.

Sometimes you must suffer to obey God.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just think, in the days Christ walked on this earth many had a one room house with a dirt floor and no windows to clean. Wonder if the women owned a feather duster? Hey, they didn't even had Pledge.

Slept on a pallet in the floor, when they got up they woudl fold up their pallet and put it up to use the next night.

I don't suppose they had closets or close hangers either.

Katy-Anne, No doubt, we all are to much world like and not enough Christ like, we all spend to much time with people of this world.

• Members

As much as I really don't want to, I will have to work outside the home just to take care of my HORRIBLE student loan debt. I'm going to have to pay at least $800/ $1000 a month. I genuinely regret going to college because of this. Most likely, my husband will not make enough $$ for at least a few years to allow for us to both pay our debts and live in a tiny apartment. My parents didn't really give me any guidance (they are atheists) about what to do about college. They didn't say anything. They never said, "We would rather you not go b/c of they money." But they never really said, "We want you to go to college." They make slightly too much for me to have received and aid from the government and but they did not have the money to help, so I got stuck with nasty bank loans the whole way. I'm praying for a miracle if kids come into the picture sooner than expected. When I signed up for all this junk, I was young and immature and no one informed me about what I was getting into. I feel that college debt pigeonholes a lot of women into the working-to-the-bone outside the home model.

• Members
There are many woman who are by themselves with children that have no other recourse than to work. There are also many families that both parents need to work. We as believers need to be to be sensitive to these needs.

Yeah. If the whole world followed Christ's commandments then no one would find themselves in these bad situations in the first place. If people didn't leave their wives and if people actually GAVE to the poor like they are supposed to, we wouldn't have half these problems.

• Members

Yeah. If the whole world followed Christ's commandments then no one would find themselves in these bad situations in the first place. If people didn't leave their wives and if people actually GAVE to the poor like they are supposed to, we wouldn't have half these problems.

Yes, it's a fallin world....hence the need for the Savior and God's redemption plan and work!

• Members
I seem to remember in the Proverbs that the virtuous woman worked out in the fields which I would consider "outside the home" for that day......

Prov 31:16
16She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

They own the vineyard, she is not working for someone else.

Home is just not the inside, it's the outside of it also. If a family is blessed with a vineyard no problem with gardening in it.

Much different then having a career or taking orders from a man at some job.

• Members

Prov 31:16
16She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

They own the vineyard, she is not working for someone else.

Home is just not the inside, it's the outside of it also. If a family is blessed with a vineyard no problem with gardening in it.

Much different then having a career or taking orders from a man at some job.

I'm thinking you may want to consider the historical and cultural contexts.

• Members
I seem to remember in the Proverbs that the virtuous woman worked out in the fields which I would consider "outside the home" for that day......

Do you think she dropped her children off at day care 5 days per week? Or just worked in the field occasionally and may have been taking care of her children at the same time?

• Members
As much as I really don't want to' date=' I will have to work outside the home just to take care of my HORRIBLE student loan debt. I'm going to have to pay at least $800/ $1000 a month. I genuinely regret going to college because of this. Most likely, my husband will not make enough $$ for at least a few years to allow for us to both pay our debts and live in a tiny apartment. My parents didn't really give me any guidance (they are atheists) about what to do about college. They didn't say anything. They never said, "We would rather you not go b/c of they money." But they never really said, "We want you to go to college." They make slightly too much for me to have received and aid from the government and but they did not have the money to help, so I got stuck with nasty bank loans the whole way. I'm praying for a miracle if kids come into the picture sooner than expected. When I signed up for all this junk, I was young and immature and no one informed me about what I was getting into. I feel that college debt pigeonholes a lot of women into the working-to-the-bone outside the home model.[/quote']

Seems the things is, once the wife starts working the man and wife will always have to have both incomes, its hard to find a stopping point after its started. All of us can think about what we could get if we just had a bit more money.

I've been a stay-at-home wife for 4 months now, and I can't say it's ever been boring! There's always something to do, and if I run out of housework, that just gives me time to bake cookies or something! Maybe it's just because I love to cook. :smile

Anyhow, I don't have a dishwasher so washing dishes takes a little bit of time, and then doing laundry is a chore because the washer is in our apartment but the dryer is in the empty apartment downstairs (we only have room for a washer up here unless we get a stackable sometime... it's a unique situation lol). Doing laundry and dishes and cooking and de-cluttering the house keeps me pretty busy! :cool

• Members

Do you think she dropped her children off at day care 5 days per week? Or just worked in the field occasionally and may have been taking care of her children at the same time?

Perhaps the former or the later. I know that back then keeping a field was all part of the economy for making a living and supporting oneself and family. Today we have a different economy and supporting oneself and family is done differently. Most people living in a big city, don't have fields to farm...thus they earn money other ways to pay those that do farm for their food. :thumb

In our home, my wife worked very hard within the home and stayed at home with the children. We sacrificed and went without many things that others had. We lived with only one car and on our knees depending on God to meet the needs. Once the children were raised and on their own, my wife worked outside the home for a while. We had an empty nest for about 1 1/2 years. Then her parents got sick, we built an addition on our home and she quit her job outside the home and came back to work inside the home being the full-time caregiver for her 80 year old father, which she currently does. Her mother passed away in February.

While we prayed and believed God wanted her to be at home to raise the children; it was never anything I commanded or forced or controlled. It was God's leading in both of our hearts and she truly loves that role. Now we have had eight grandchildren and they all come in and out of our home and love their "Memsie." She (and I) are now helping to raise the next generation.

While I say all of this, I want it to be very clear......I believe there are certain principles given in God's Word and the practical application and carrying out of them in a couple's/parent's life is something they/he/she answer to God about. Yes, there are commands and it is expected to obey God in those matters. Once you are in the area outside the commands, it is my opinion that I do not judge another man's servant. I don't have the wisdom to go there. I can discern what I believe to be right, wrong and sin in those areas for me and "my house." If asked, I am more than happy to share my thoughts; but it is not my calling from God (and God does call some I'm sure) to be the one constantly correcting others.

• Administrators

Perhaps the former or the later. I know that back then keeping a field was all part of the economy for making a living and supporting oneself and family. Today we have a different economy and supporting oneself and family is done differently. Most people living in a big city, don't have fields to farm...thus they earn money other ways to pay those that do farm for their food. :thumb

In our home, my wife worked very hard within the home and stayed at home with the children. We sacrificed and went without many things that others had. We lived with only one car and on our knees depending on God to meet the needs. Once the children were raised and on their own, my wife worked outside the home for a while. We had an empty nest for about 1 1/2 years. Then her parents got sick, we built an addition on our home and she quit her job outside the home and came back to work inside the home being the full-time caregiver for her 80 year old father, which she currently does. Her mother passed away in February.

While we prayed and believed God wanted her to be at home to raise the children; it was never anything I commanded or forced or controlled. It was God's leading in both of our hearts and she truly loves that role. Now we have had eight grandchildren and they all come in and out of our home and love their "Memsie." She (and I) are now helping to raise the next generation.

While I say all of this, I want it to be very clear......I believe there are certain principles given in God's Word and the practical application and carrying out of them in a couple's/parent's life is something they/he/she answer to God about. Yes, there are commands and it is expected to obey God in those matters. Once you are in the area outside the commands, it is my opinion that I do not judge another man's servant. I don't have the wisdom to go there. I can discern what I believe to be right, wrong and sin in those areas for me and "my house." If asked, I am more than happy to share my thoughts; but it is not my calling from God (and God does call some I'm sure) to be the one constantly correcting others.
:goodpost:

Something that we all need to remember is that each man is the head of his home, and this kind of decision is his to make.