• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wedding Feast

• Members

Yes, it is not your denominational affiliation that saves you - but what you believe about the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work on Calvary, what you have done with Jesus (ie. received His gift of eternal life, trusted Him by faith alone, etc.). Of course, some groups are going to be clearer and more aligned in their doctrine and practices than others - which will affect your day to day walk with the Lord, but not your eternal destiny (unless they preached heresy, especially about the person and work of Christ, about how to be saved, and you chose to believe the false doctrine about salvation).

My other comments in my prior post was specifically addressing the poster who believed water baptism was necessary for salvation. Of course, he overall will not agree with most of the other members here on certain Bible doctrines because he is spiritually unable to understand them. That would be a case of someone wearing the wrong wedding garment for sure.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Yes, it is not your denominational affiliation that saves you - but what you believe about the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work on Calvary, what you have done with Jesus (ie. received His gift of eternal life, trusted Him by faith alone, etc.). Of course, some groups are going to be clearer and more aligned in their doctrine and practices than others - which will affect your day to day walk with the Lord, but not your eternal destiny (unless they preached heresy, especially about the person and work of Christ, about how to be saved, and you chose to believe the false doctrine about salvation).

My other comments in my prior post was specifically addressing the poster who believed water baptism was necessary for salvation. Of course, he overall will not agree with most of the other members here on certain Bible doctrines because he is spiritually unable to understand them. That would be a case of someone wearing the wrong wedding garment for sure.

Who said they believed water will save you?

• Members

I was referring to you, not some other group. And saying that it is another gospel that will not save. That those who hold to baptism being a part of the gospel are not saved; therefore cannot understand the Word of God because they do not have the Holy Spirit indwelling them or enlightening them to the Scriptures.

• Members
2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I was referring to you, not some other group. And saying that it is another gospel that will not save. That those who hold to baptism being a part of the gospel are not saved; therefore cannot understand the Word of God because they do not have the Holy Spirit indwelling them or enlightening them to the Scriptures.

I believe water baptism saves? 

You are a lying, deluded, idiot. 

Go back to writing your poems nobody cares about.

• Members
3 hours ago, SureWord said:

You need to discern what he was trying to say. He wasn’t accusing you.

I don’t understand your outburst

edit: maybe he was, which is unfortunate 

Edited by Hugh_Flower

• Members

Sureword, I did a review of your posts today to make sure I wasn't mixing you up with someone else and you have posted that on these boards in various threads in the months since I have been back on these boards. The only thing I wasn't able to determine today was whether you believe that is part of the gospel for the church or just for other "dispensations". If you believe your understanding of Acts 2:38 is for everyone today (ie. that believers today need to "be baptized in order to have their sins forgiven") then you are trusting in a gospel of works and therefore unsaved. If I have totally misunderstood what you yourself have actually posted on these boards (such as in the thread "Cloven Tongues like as fire"), please clarify what you meant.

Please clarify exactly what part baptism plays in salvation for us or for anyone else, according to your beliefs.

Edited by Jerry

• Moderators
23 hours ago, SureWord said:

That language is unnecessary, SureWord. 

• Members
On 11/9/2021 at 7:24 PM, Jerry said:

Sureword, I did a review of your posts today to make sure I wasn't mixing you up with someone else and you have posted that on these boards in various threads in the months since I have been back on these boards. The only thing I wasn't able to determine today was whether you believe that is part of the gospel for the church or just for other "dispensations". If you believe your understanding of Acts 2:38 is for everyone today (ie. that believers today need to "be baptized in order to have their sins forgiven") then you are trusting in a gospel of works and therefore unsaved. If I have totally misunderstood what you yourself have actually posted on these boards (such as in the thread "Cloven Tongues like as fire"), please clarify what you meant.

Please clarify exactly what part baptism plays in salvation for us or for anyone else, according to your beliefs.

Um...for THEM apparently baptism was needed. 

What did they need to do to receive the Holy Ghost?

Was Apollos a saved man before Paul had to set them right?

We're the apostles saved? What did they believe to be saved? The death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ? Really? They had no idea what he was even talking about. IN FACT, the saying was HID from them by God.

Please, do not twist the English or go to the "originals" to prove your point.

Personally, I think you might be demon possessed with your fancy on casting doubt on the KJV. Only a demon would do that.

You think I'm unsaved by I suspect you may be demon possessed.

"Yes, hath God said"

• Administrators

Alrighty then. This thread is getting locked. It is a truth that, with the typewritten word, it is easy to misunderstand what a poster's intent is at times. Then it is easier to flame at someone than to simply respond. Who wants to be questioned as to the doctrinal stance? Nobody, if we are honest about it. We all want to be right. However, as a group we need to understand that we all come from different backgrounds regarding doctrine, practice, policy, etc., as well as personality, knowledge of the Bible, etc., etc. This means that there will be times that questions are asked (even if not asked in a seemingly kind way) that we can choose either to answer (which is the biblical option) or we can flame and attack (which, obviously, is not the biblical option).

Mayhap when we aren't sure what one of our group believes, we could ask instead of assume? Even go private with the question so that it doesn't look like an attack? Discretion is the better part of valor, and while we want to be correct in our doctrine, we need to remember grace in our wording.

Mayhap when we feel attacked, rather than attacking back we should stop and look at what is said, ask for clarification if it's murky (whether private or open), and then answer. Again remembering that discretion being the better part of valor, our words are to be seasoned with salt and MINISTER grace to the hearer (in this case the reader).

And, please, I know that Christ called the religious hypocrites names...but we aren't Christ. We are sinners who cannot see the hearts of our fellow man. For one of us to assert something about another of us without fully knowing them is to answer a matter without hearing it...folly, according to scripture. We can only go on what is contained in the records of the forum, but even then we can be discreet.

I appreciate both Jerry and SureWord and their contributions to our board. I in no way am impugning either of them, but I am exhorting each of us to think before we type, not to react emotionally to something that seems to be an insult, to be grown up Christians in our answers and dealings with each other (again, this is NOT directed at any particular person, so nobody should take offense).