• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wedding Feast

• Members

So if I can't go to an IFB church, or any Baptist Church, because there's none in my area or even in my country (not everyone lives in America) does this mean I'm disinvited to the wedding feast? Will I be tossed out because I'm not a Baptist?

• Members
9 minutes ago, SureWord said:

So if I can't go to an IFB church, or any Baptist Church, because there's none in my area or even in my country (not everyone lives in America) does this mean I'm disinvited to the wedding feast? Will I be tossed out because I'm not a Baptist?

Of course not...it's not based on your denomination....of course I believe you already know this!

• Members

No, but you will be rejected by the Lord Jesus Christ by wearing a garment (of your own which is filthy rags) other than the righteousness of Christ - because of trusting in another gospel of salvation (such as believing water baptism is necessary for salvation) other than the true Gospel found in the Word of God.

Matthew 22:11-13 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Galatians 1:8-9 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

• Members
24 minutes ago, Jerry said:

No, but you will be rejected by the Lord Jesus Christ by wearing a garment (of your own which is filthy rags) other than the righteousness of Christ - because of trusting in another gospel of salvation (such as believing water baptism is necessary for salvation) other than the true Gospel found in the Word of God.

Matthew 22:11-13 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Galatians 1:8-9 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

The use of the terminology "weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth" and "outer darkness" would lead me to believe that this is referring to unsaved people, not Christians. This wouldn't fit into what is commonly preached in Baptist churches.

• Members

Yes, I totally agree it is referring to the lost. Someone trusting in a different gospel of salvation, trusting in their own wedding garment rather than the righteousness of Christ, would certainly fit the person described in the passage.

• Members
12 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

The use of the terminology "weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth" and "outer darkness" would lead me to believe that this is referring to unsaved people, not Christians. This wouldn't fit into what is commonly preached in Baptist churches.

There's some Baptists who call themselves "Kingdom Baptists" that believe carnal Christians will be tossed into the Lake of Fire for 1,000 years. There's a book called "The Rod: Will God Spare It?" by a guy named Joey Faust. Yes, Faust. Great name for a mangler of scripture.

I attended a Baptist church for a while where the pastor preached this nonsense to keep the members tithing.

• Members
46 minutes ago, SureWord said:

There's some Baptists who call themselves "Kingdom Baptists" that believe carnal Christians will be tossed into the Lake of Fire for 1,000 years. There's a book called "The Rod: Will God Spare It?" by a guy named Joey Faust. Yes, Faust. Great name for a mangler of scripture.

I attended a Baptist church for a while where the pastor preached this nonsense to keep the members tithing.

Yes, in Bible college they referred to this as "Baptist Purgatory!"Of course, it's a heretical doctrine, and nothing the colleges I attended subscribed to...nor do I! 

• Members
1 hour ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Good topic. I never knew about that heresy, I do know Christians are judged and can earn crowns to lay at Christ’s feet.

Are these related? 

No. They have some Christians not only losing crowns but burning in the Lake of Fire during the 1,000 year kingdom. 

I know some General Association of Regular Baptists teach this. At least ones I've heard preach. I was baptized in a GARB church. 

• Members
41 minutes ago, SureWord said:

No. They have some Christians not only losing crowns but burning in the Lake of Fire during the 1,000 year kingdom. 

I know some General Association of Regular Baptists teach this. At least ones I've heard preach. I was baptized in a GARB church. 

I see. I was thinking people where twisting the ‘Crown of Life’ into meaning Salvation. 

• Members
5 hours ago, SureWord said:

My wife and I have been members in three GARBC churches and never heard this preached. I'm not saying some might preach it...but I've never heard it. Where were these churches?

• Members
9 hours ago, Hugh_Flower said:

I see. I was thinking people where twisting the ‘Crown of Life’ into meaning Salvation. 

I'm sure there are some people who do that.

Some of the gospel restoration cults of the 1800s twisted "she shall be saved during childbearing" to "she shall go to heaven if she has a lot of children".

• Members
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

My wife and I have been members in three GARBC churches and never heard this preached. I'm not saying some might preach it...but I've never heard it. Where were these churches?

Upstate NY.

I'm can assure you they believe this though they don't pound the pulpit about it. It's their way of explaining away backslidden Christians without dropping them off into hell.

GARBs are Calvinistic but not so far as some Reformed who say, "Well, they must have never been elected to begin with". With GARBs it's "They are saved but heading to Baptist purgatory". 

• Members
48 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Upstate NY.

I'm can assure you they believe this though they don't pound the pulpit about it. It's their way of explaining away backslidden Christians without dropping them off into hell.

GARBs are Calvinistic but not so far as some Reformed who say, "Well, they must have never been elected to begin with". With GARBs it's "They are saved but heading to Baptist purgatory". 

The ones we were members of weren't Calvinistic. Of course, most of the ones we were in were in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, SureWord said:

18 hours ago, Jerry said:

I don't think Jerry is saying this, but I wanted to clarify that there are Christian groups that preach a true gospel but don't call themselves Baptists (e.g. evangelicals, Brethren). I might disagree on other doctrines with these groups but absolutely believe there are true believers in them - who would thus be coming to the wedding feast.