• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Flesh is Weak

• Members

Which verse you prefer to use of the 2 in a message.

Bible, King James Version

2 matches.

Matt.26

1. [41] Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but theflesh is weak.

Mark.14

1. [38] Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

• Members

They both mean the exact same thing: ready, willing - same Greek word for both. A good preacher would probably quote both or at least explain the meaning of both.

Which would I choose - it depends what main book I am preaching out of. If I was teaching something about Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane out of Matthew, then I would use the verse from Matthew. If I was just preaching a topical message or had some other book of the Bible as my primary passage, then I don't think it would matter which of the two verses I used, unless something else in the immediate context fit or did not fit the message I was preaching/writing.

For example, Mark tells us of Jesus' prayer to the Father when He called Him Abba, Father. If I was emphasizing something about Jesus' closeness to the Father or something about His servanthood, I would probably use Mark. If I was emphasizing Jesus' struggle and suffering, I would probably use Matthew.

Edited by Jerry