• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why was it necessary for Christ to be baptized?

• Members
On 11/3/2021 at 8:03 AM, BrotherTony said:

Why was it necessary for Christ to be baptized of John before being tempted by the adversary, and before starting his earthly ministry? If you've got scripture to back up your position, please, post it. Thanks.

BT

1.  To fulfill "all righteousness," (edit added) serving as an example for us. (See Matthew 3:13-15)
     (Edited 11-4-21 in accord with the additional truth that Brother Jerry presented just below.)

2.  To be anointed of the Holy Spirit for ministry, and thus to initiate his public ministry. (See Matthew 3:16-17; Mark 1:9-11; Luke 3:21-23; Acts 10:38; Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1-3; 61:1-3; Luke 4:16-21)

3.  To reveal unto John the specific individual who was the Messiah. (See John 1:29-36)

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
16 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I agree with the post above me, but also wanted to add: to fulfill all righteousness includes Jesus being an example, as NT believers are commanded to be baptized after they come to Christ for salvation.

Exactly. I've had many people ask me why Christ had to be baptized since he was the savior...I point them to the fact that he had to be the example to those who would be his followers. 

• Members
18 hours ago, Jerry said:

I agree with the post above me, but also wanted to add: to fulfill all righteousness includes Jesus being an example, as NT believers are commanded to be baptized after they come to Christ for salvation.

Note that I edited my posting above specifically to include this truth.

• Members

Jesus had to submit himself to the righteousness of the Father just like everyone else. Just like he kept the passover. The only difference was instead of him confessing his sins the Father confessed him as his beloved Son in whom is no guile.