• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bless the Lord, oh my soul, and all that is within me.....

• Members

Since the viral experience I, at times, have found it hard to stay on a positive note. I'm usually a pretty positive person, but, I have noticed of late that I am starting to find myself experiencing an attitude I have found the Psalmist to have.....Why art thou cast down, oh my soul? I hate feeling that way, but I have researched this state of mind in the Bible and have found it to be quite common. Yet, even in the midst of challenges in my life, I find myself going to another of the Psalmists expressions....Bless the Lord, oh my soul, and all that is within me! Bless his holy name!...At times, even though it's sometimes tough, I find myself still praising the Lord for the trials that have come my way, and for the promise that he is going to lead me through  them. We know that God knows the way through the wilderness of our lives...he planned the roads and is the light, and he will guide us safely. Bless the Lord! He is worthy.

• Members

The darker this world gets, the easier it is to focus on the bad stuff around us, to stop trusting and clinging to the Lord and start grumbling and fretting. Yes, there are times a true believer can get overwhelmed by a trial or a struggle, but when we realize that is happening, we need to choose to draw closer to the Lord (not stay further away from Him) - like you said, we need to choose to praise Him and keep our eyes steadfastly on Him.

I know I cannot control my emotions (there I times I may feel down or discouraged) - but I can control my mind which will affect my spiritual walk, by taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, by reminding myself when I do get overwhelmed that God is still with me in this trial, His Word and His promises are still mine to claim and stand on, and He is always there to give me strength in my soul when I put my eyes back on Him.

Psalm 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Psalm 138:3 In the day when I cried thou answeredst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul.

Psalm 138:7-8 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me. The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.

Yes, we may all go through the wilderness at times, but this is how we come back out of it:

Song of Solomon 8:5 Who is this that cometh up from the wilderness, leaning upon her beloved? I raised thee up under the apple tree: there thy mother brought thee forth: there she brought thee forth that bare thee.

The Beloved in the Song of Solomon is the Lord Jesus Christ.