• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When did temptations and lust being

• Members

Did temptations and lust excited before they ate of the fruit.

Gen 3

[5] For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
[6] And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

• Members
36 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Eve was tempted, and in some respect, she saw the fruit was desireable to the eye, and ate of it...I believe that was a type of lust in the fact that she knew it would "open their eyes." 

Thanks for replying, I thought about it and it came to my mine, if they did this before they ate, it was sin. But this would make them sinners before they ate.

• Members
13 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Thanks for replying, I thought about it and it came to my mine, if they did this before they ate, it was sin. But this would make them sinners before they ate.

I don't think it was sin until they ate...that was the direct violation of the command God had given Adam. The temptation itself wasn't a sin. 

• Administrators

James 1:14,15 speaks to this a bit, even without mentioning Adam or Eve, I think.

"But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death."

The serpent enticed Eve...while being in an innocent state, Eve still had a curiosity about the forbidden fruit. Curiosity is not a sin. But we know it can lead to problems. The word lust has a few definitions, one of which is "desire."

I believe that the enticer was successful because Eve had a curious desire about that fruit. And when he spoke about the "benefits," she allowed herself to be convinced, thus her lust (i.e. desire) conceived and sin resulted. Before she partook of the fruit, she was not in sin. She was in curiosity and desire. She could have said no and there would have been no sin. But she acquiesced and the rest is history.