• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Managing the church finances

• Members

Should a member of the church that doesn’t manage well their personal finances, example bankruptcy not making payments on time, or just not paying at all. Be in charge of making decisions with the churches finances. The Bible does tells us that a person must manage his house well, to be a good servant for the Lord. Trust Worthy

You Can Trust Me Bill Murray GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by E Morales

• Administrators

Why would a "person" be in charge of making "decisions" about church finances? This should be something that involves the whole membership. But perhaps I am not understanding  exactly what you are asking correctly.

• Administrators

Yup, it's the members decision.

I was preaching in a church in NY a few years back and one member placed in the offering his tithe. On the envelope it said.

100% of this tithe to go to the church, 0% to go to the pastor. I'm not sure if he aware that he really has no individual say in where that money went.

• Administrators

PastorMatt is right on the money. Once any monies are out of the members hands, where it goes and what it is spent for is the Lord's decision, as determined by the members as a whole. 

I do believe that there may be one exception to this, and it doesn't have t do with regular offerings, but instead applies to "special offerings". This exception is like, if someone wants their special offering to go to a certain missionary or mission work and designates it so on their envelope, then that is what it should go for.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

Yup, it's the members decision.

I was preaching in a church in NY a few years back and one member placed in the offering his tithe. On the envelope it said.

100% of this tithe to go to the church, 0% to go to the pastor. I'm not sure if he aware that he really has no individual say in where that money went.

Don't monies usually go to the church to get used as needed? Speaking from experience (church treasurer here), the church likely needs that money to pay the pastor. ?

But that member really needs an attitude adjustment..

• Members

I was thinking more as a church staff member, or deacon, elders of the church, people that actually are planning on any activity of the church expense. I should not be in any church decision making for financial budgeting, if I can not budget my own house. That was my thoughts, but am I correct.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, E Morales said:

I was thinking more as a church staff member, or deacon, elders of the church, people that actually are planning on any activity of the church expense. I should not be in any church decision making for financial budgeting, if I can not budget my own house. That was my thoughts, but am I correct.

Those people are called church members. Members as a whole are responsible for planning any activity in regard to church expense. This is what business meetings are all about, to make and implement anything to do with church functions, including financial decisions.

Any single person involved in church finances should only be able to do as directed by the church as it meets in business meetings. They cannot, or should not be making any financial decisions on their own, but only as directed.

Now, the church treasurer, such as Salyan, is usually put in that position after careful thought and discussion by church members, at which time they would be voted in to that position by the membership. That way the church knows that this person is financially responsible.