• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?

• Members
12 minutes ago, E Morales said:

It’s hard not to give those cute kids candy. If you do, you will not lose your salvation. I remember when I was a kid I used to go trick-or-treating my bag was my pillowcase.

I'm glad we no longer have any kids coming to the door. We live far back off the road, and the place is in such a rural area that most kids wouldn't come back here anyhow. We keep our porch lights off, so most won't come back because it's so dark....but if one was to come back we'd give them some candy. It's been a quiet 17 years! ?

• Moderators
21 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Hugh, if your attitude is going to be disruptive, I ask that you not participate in this thread. I didn't voice my opinion...I voiced a FACT...there's a difference. I'm going to be direct here, Brother...if you've got a problem with me, please block me. It would be better for you, and I won't have to waste time responding to you. Thanks.

Tony, you may not ask members not to participate in discussion. We moderators will decide if a member is disruptive. 

Moving on...

• Moderators

Halloween has historically and currently been nothing but a celebration of darkness and the devil. I won't speak to the history because I'm sure anyone interested can research it themselves.

When I was a kid, modern 'celebrations' were candy & costumes and 'cutesy' witch posters (which is problematic enough - we oughtn't to be desensitizing our children to witchcraft or making it seem 'cute or 'safe'). Now, the decorations themselves celebrate gore and horror. Half the decor you see looks like it came from some serial killer's trophy collection! How parents can think this is okay I don't know. Trick & treating itself comes from some rather nasty origins - do we really want our kids to think they should be able to demand what they want or destroy someone else's property? (wait.... maybe THAT'S where all the BLM and railroad/protestors got their ideas from!) :4_13_13:

I honestly, personally really hate Halloween and refuse to celebrate it in any form. I'd have to apologize to any kids who came around cause I just don't have any candy for them. ?

3 hours ago, E Morales said:

It’s hard not to give those cute kids candy. If you do, you will not lose your salvation. I remember when I was a kid I used to go trick-or-treating my bag was my pillowcase.

I don't think anyone will penalize you for giving kids candy... but (perhaps aside from this discussion), remember that there are an awful lot of activities that God hates that you will not lose your salvation for. ? 

• Members
4 hours ago, E Morales said:

Obeying the Lord and staying in close fellowship with Him doesn't mean I only do things that won't affect my salvation (by the way, nothing a true believer can do will cause them to lose their salvation!). If that is someone's criteria for how to determine right and wrong, then they seriously need to read the Scriptures and see if they are saved.

How about doing or not doing something because I want to please my Heavenly Father, I want to maintain right fellowship with Him, I want to be a shining light to others and not a stumbling block, I want to separate from the darkness of this world.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Obeying the Lord and staying in close fellowship with Him doesn't mean I only do things that won't affect my salvation (by the way, nothing a true believer can do will cause them to lose their salvation!). If that is someone's criteria for how to determine right and wrong, then they seriously need to read the Scriptures and see if they are saved.

How about doing or not doing something because I want to please my Heavenly Father, I want to maintain right fellowship with Him, I want to be a shining light to others and not a stumbling block, I want to separate from the darkness of this world.

I agree, I just said this of salvation because there was no evil in giving candy out

• Members
2 hours ago, Salyan said:

Tony, you may not ask members not to participate in discussion. We moderators will decide if a member is disruptive. 

Moving on...

This isn't the message I got in my email.  You were a little more brash in your comment. I'm forwarding it to the adminstrators. I set the parameters in the OP and stated CLEARLY that I wouldn't be giving my opinion. Hugh didn't have to post in this thread, nor be so brash with me. You've seemed to have a problem with me since I've joined onlinebaptist.com. If the administrators want me to leave, I will. This isn't the only Baptist venue on the net. No disrespect is intended towards you. Like I've stated many times here, I'm direct...sometimes overly so. But, that's something that's probably not going to change....Thanks.

1 hour ago, E Morales said:

I agree, I just said this of salvation because there was no evil in giving candy out

Very true! We used to give out candy and tracts when we had trick or treaters!

• Members
1 hour ago, E Morales said:

There is evil in handing out candy that is part of a celebration of evil - you are participating in Halloween by giving out candy, just as much as the kids are by dressing up in ungodly costumes.

• Members
31 minutes ago, Jerry said:

There is evil in handing out candy that is part of a celebration of evil - you are participating in Halloween by giving out candy, just as much as the kids are by dressing up in ungodly costumes.

I don't agree. But you're entitled to your opinion. ? Not ALL costumes are ungodly. 

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members

Do you go down to New Orleans to participate in Mardi Gras? It is just innocent fun and festivals.

Forget opinion - how about Biblical principles:

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Exodus 23:2 Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil; neither shalt thou speak in a cause to decline after many to wrest judgment:

1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Do you go down to New Orleans to participate in Mardi Gras? It is just innocent fun and festivals.

I've been there, done that! And believe me, it's NOT innocent at all. If Bob Harrington, the former "Chaplain of Bourbon Street" were still alive, he'd tell you. Of course, I know you know this already. Still Halloween wasn't based on the ghouls and goblins in the beginning. 

• Members

Halloween does not have innocent roots either. The candy (the treat) was something the lost superstitious people offered to deceive the demons that wanted to take their children. If you couldn't give them the treat, then your others option was to trick them and hope you get away with it.

Of course, all of this was superstitious nonsense - which the Bible tells us to not get caught up in. We are not to participate in the false gods and false religions of the lost.

Candy is not evil in itself (unless perhaps it is marketed in a way that promotes ungodliness - such as a Freddy Krueger sucker or candy blood - just making a point here) - BUT handing out candy as part of a celebration of evil is wicked. Go out the day before and hand out candy in your neighbourhood, have a church fellowship where you have treats so the kids won't desire what is associated with evil, but don't fool yourself that you are being innocent by participating in a wicked holiday/celebration. It doesn't become NON-EVIL because you are a Christian. IN FACT that makes it more wicked in God's eyes because you are directly participating in the customs of the wicked.

Jeremiah 10:2-5 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Different custom - same Bible principle.

Edited by Jerry

• Members
10 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Halloween does not have innocent roots either. The candy (the treat) was something the lost superstitious people offered to deceive the demons that wanted to take their children. If you couldn't give them the treat, then your others option was to trick them and hope you get away with it.

Of course, all of this was superstitious nonsense - which the Bible tells us to not get caught up in. We are not to participate in the false gods and false religions of the lost.

Candy is not evil in itself (unless perhaps it is marketed in a way that promotes ungodliness - such as a Freddy Krueger sucker or candy blood - just making a point here) - BUT handing out candy as part of a celebration of evil is wicked. Go out the day before and hand out candy in your neighbourhood, have a church fellowship where you have treats so the kids won't desire what is associated with evil, but don't fool yourself that you are being innocent by participating in a wicked holiday/celebration. It doesn't become NON-EVIL because you are a Christian. IN FACT that makes it more wicked in God's eyes because you are directly participating in the customs of the wicked.

Jeremiah 10:2-5 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Different custom - same Bible principle.

So, by your description of things, we shouldn't have a Christmas tree in our homes either because it was something that was started as a pagan worship. Hmmm...right?? Can't have it both ways. ?

• Members
36 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Don’t leave brother Tony, who going to correct all my post. I don’t mind you’re right many of times.

I don't plan on leaving unless I'm asked. Hey, I'm only trying to help you. And I haven't had to correct that many. ?  You do alright! 

• Moderators
On 10/29/2021 at 4:15 PM, BrotherTony said:

This isn't the message I got in my email.  You were a little more brash in your comment. I'm forwarding it to the adminstrators. I set the parameters in the OP and stated CLEARLY that I wouldn't be giving my opinion. Hugh didn't have to post in this thread, nor be so brash with me. You've seemed to have a problem with me since I've joined onlinebaptist.com. If the administrators want me to leave, I will. This isn't the only Baptist venue on the net. No disrespect is intended towards you. Like I've stated many times here, I'm direct...sometimes overly so. But, that's something that's probably not going to change....Thanks.

Very true! We used to give out candy and tracts when we had trick or treaters!

Excuse me? I did not send you any email...