Online Baptist Community

Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?

BrotherTony

• Members

There are many Christians who say we shouldn't celebrate Halloween. There are also many who see nothing wrong with it. Why do you believe we should or shouldn't celebrate it? 

I would appreciate as detailed an answer as you can give if that's possible.  I have my own beliefs/convictions on this and don't need lectures from others...that's not what this question is about, especially since nobody knows what I believe, and I won't be revealing what I believe to keep this on the up and up. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Members

It’s hard to justify it before God - as in to declare it in his name. It’s a very pagan holiday but so is Easter and Christmas however those two holidays are easily declared and justified in the Lords name.

I cannot do so with Halloween. It’s a fun day for children but for an adult believer I can not comprehend their joy for Halloween. 
Yeah I hear of Christians giving tracks out on Halloween but I wouldn’t say those are they who are celebrating Halloween just using it to help spread the gospel. 

If this is your thread and your wondering about others beliefs, it is only fair you share your own.

Edited by Hugh_Flower

• Members
14 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

It’s hard to justify it before God - as in to declare it in his name. It’s a pretty pagan holiday and so is Easter and Christmas - however those two holidays are easily declared and justified in the Lords name.

I cannot do so with Halloween. It’s a fun day for children but for an adult believer I can not comprehend there joy for Halloween. 
yeah I hear of Christians giving tracks out on Halloween but I wouldn’t say those are they who are celebrating Halloween just using it to help spread the gospel. 

If this is your thread and your wondering about others beliefs, it is only fair you share your own.

My own is irrelevant. I'm seeking others OPINIONS. Thanks. 🙂

• Members
13 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

This thread isn't about mine....it's about other people's. 😉 

Isn’t it a conversation? And if I’m asking you and you deny me, a brother yet I fulfilled your need, doesn’t that make our relationship unequal? 
I feel like I am not be treated equal. Sorry brother but I don’t think this is what fellowship and charity is about. 

• Members
4 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Isn’t it a conversation? And if I’m asking you and you deny me, a brother yet I fulfilled your need, doesn’t that make our relationship unequal? 
I feel like I am not be treated equal. Sorry brother but I don’t think this is what fellowship and charity is about. 

If you read the opening post, I stated CLEARLY that I wouldn't be revealing where I stood on the subject. Your attempted coercion in the matter isn't appreciated in light of this. Plus, you're taking this thread off topic. This isn't a "fellowship," it's a question with clearly placed guidelines. Respect them please. Thanks.

• Members
1 hour ago, Hugh_Flower said:

I thought you weren’t voicing your opinions on the topic. 🙄

Hugh, if your attitude is going to be disruptive, I ask that you not participate in this thread. I didn't voice my opinion...I voiced a FACT...there's a difference. I'm going to be direct here, Brother...if you've got a problem with me, please block me. It would be better for you, and I won't have to waste time responding to you. Thanks.

• Administrators

I don't celebrate Halloween as it seems too much of a contradiction for me to get involved with some of the things Halloween involves.

I understand the paganism in Christmas and Easter, but there some things I can celebrate in those holidays like the birth and resurrection....I haven't found anything in Halloween to celebrate yet. 

I don't look at giving out tracts on Halloween as celebrating the holiday, if they are on my doorstep...they are my mission field.. 

• Members
4 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

I don't celebrate Halloween as it seems too much of a contradiction for me to get involved with some of the things Halloween involves.

I understand the paganism in Christmas and Easter, but there some things I can celebrate in those holidays like the birth and resurrection....I haven't found anything in Halloween to celebrate yet. 

I don't look at giving out tracts on Halloween as celebrating the holiday, if they are on my doorstep...they are my mission field.. 

Do you give them candles when they knock 

• Members
12 minutes ago, E Morales said:

It’s hard not to give those cute kids candy. If you do, you will not lose your salvation. I remember when I was a kid I used to go trick-or-treating my bag was my pillowcase.

I'm glad we no longer have any kids coming to the door. We live far back off the road, and the place is in such a rural area that most kids wouldn't come back here anyhow. We keep our porch lights off, so most won't come back because it's so dark....but if one was to come back we'd give them some candy. It's been a quiet 17 years! 🙂

• Moderators
21 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Hugh, if your attitude is going to be disruptive, I ask that you not participate in this thread. I didn't voice my opinion...I voiced a FACT...there's a difference. I'm going to be direct here, Brother...if you've got a problem with me, please block me. It would be better for you, and I won't have to waste time responding to you. Thanks.

Tony, you may not ask members not to participate in discussion. We moderators will decide if a member is disruptive. 

Moving on...

• Moderators

Halloween has historically and currently been nothing but a celebration of darkness and the devil. I won't speak to the history because I'm sure anyone interested can research it themselves.

When I was a kid, modern 'celebrations' were candy & costumes and 'cutesy' witch posters (which is problematic enough - we oughtn't to be desensitizing our children to witchcraft or making it seem 'cute or 'safe'). Now, the decorations themselves celebrate gore and horror. Half the decor you see looks like it came from some serial killer's trophy collection! How parents can think this is okay I don't know. Trick & treating itself comes from some rather nasty origins - do we really want our kids to think they should be able to demand what they want or destroy someone else's property? (wait.... maybe THAT'S where all the BLM and railroad/protestors got their ideas from!) :4_13_13:

I honestly, personally really hate Halloween and refuse to celebrate it in any form. I'd have to apologize to any kids who came around cause I just don't have any candy for them. 😄

3 hours ago, E Morales said:

It’s hard not to give those cute kids candy. If you do, you will not lose your salvation. I remember when I was a kid I used to go trick-or-treating my bag was my pillowcase.

I don't think anyone will penalize you for giving kids candy... but (perhaps aside from this discussion), remember that there are an awful lot of activities that God hates that you will not lose your salvation for. 🙂 

• Independent Fundamental Baptist
4 hours ago, E Morales said:

Obeying the Lord and staying in close fellowship with Him doesn't mean I only do things that won't affect my salvation (by the way, nothing a true believer can do will cause them to lose their salvation!). If that is someone's criteria for how to determine right and wrong, then they seriously need to read the Scriptures and see if they are saved.

How about doing or not doing something because I want to please my Heavenly Father, I want to maintain right fellowship with Him, I want to be a shining light to others and not a stumbling block, I want to separate from the darkness of this world.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Obeying the Lord and staying in close fellowship with Him doesn't mean I only do things that won't affect my salvation (by the way, nothing a true believer can do will cause them to lose their salvation!). If that is someone's criteria for how to determine right and wrong, then they seriously need to read the Scriptures and see if they are saved.

How about doing or not doing something because I want to please my Heavenly Father, I want to maintain right fellowship with Him, I want to be a shining light to others and not a stumbling block, I want to separate from the darkness of this world.

I agree, I just said this of salvation because there was no evil in giving candy out